Feeling VERY dispondent :sad:

Options
Hi there

I have been eating healthy for 9 weeks and have lost 12 pounds (6.6kg), but the last 3 weeks have been going very slow, loosing an average of 200g per week. Most days I eat less then 1200 calories per day, why is the weight loss so slow now?

I have another 8kg to loose and if it continues this slowly it will take me 8 months to get there. Seems like forever when I've already been going over 2 months!

Somebody please help me, I feel like throwing in the towel now...

Replies

• DonnaNCgirl
    DonnaNCgirl Posts: 372
    Options
    You may not be eating enough. You'll hear a lot of MFP peeps very upset with anyone who eats less than or close to 1200 calories. I'm not the one to get very upset because I ate less than that when I was losing lots of weight. However, that being said, 1200 calories is very low and can cause your metabolism to slow down to a crawl trying to do whatever it does.

Try upping your calories (a little bit - I know that's scary) for a couple of weeks and see what happens.
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    its up to you and there are varying view points on this but to me 1200 cal seems low in almost all circumstances. 200g is approximately 0.5lb and thats not a bad rate. i aim for much higher too but many say 0.5 is good

you didnt put the weight on in a week and its not going to come off in one either. keep you head up and stay at it, you'll get there.
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Hang in there! I lost most of my weight at the rate of between .5 and 1 lb per week, and I did it on 1200 calories a day ( I'm only 5' 4" and did not have a huge amount to lose). I also ate back about 2/3 of the calories MFP said that I burned while exercising (in case it was an over-estimate). There were weeks when I did not lose anything.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Do you log everything you eat and weigh everything with a food scale/enter your own recipes?
  • babyblooz
    babyblooz Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Most days I eat less then 1200 calories per day, why is the weight loss so slow now?

The answer is in the question, my dear! :flowerforyou:
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Eat more.
  • lateefmar
    Options
    Hi. I also think your calories are too low. Your body is fighting you back trying to survive your low intake. When I dropped my calories under 1200 I totally stopped loosing and it was a horrible feeling because you actually feel great not eating. Once I picked up my cals back to what MFP suggested, my weight loss continued at a great pace. And I'm only relying on my diary to loose the weight (due to an injury). Please don't keep depriving yourself of food. If anything, make sure your getting in vitamins or supplements to make up for the lack of food intake. Best wishes
    Lateefmar
  • SA747
    SA747 Posts: 5
    Options
    Hey, what is your exercise routine? I agree with most of the posts. Sounds like your body is fighting you thinking you are starving it. If you have a good daily exercise routine, I would suggest a modest increase in calories (balanced of course) and maybe switch up your intensity levels (hard one day, easier another) and make sure you are mixing in cardio, strength and flexibility components. That said, your rate of loss is not bad. This is a lifestyle change and you need to come to that point where you are eating sufficiently for the weight you want to be forever.
  • chels0722
    chels0722 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I'm not going to tell how you should or shouldn't eat, even though I have an opinion.

I just want to tell you that I am losing at a rate of 0.5-1lb a MONTH. Granted, I don't have much to lose and my goals aren't really weight loss, that is what I'm at.

There is nothing wrong with losing weight slowly. It is more natural for your body to adjust to weight loss over a longer amount of time. You are still losing, so don't give up.
  • nicknaxd
    nicknaxd Posts: 5
    Options
    I will try up my calorie intake and maybe add more exercise. I cycle and walk about twice a week, but will increase this too and hopefully this will help a bit :-)

Thanks everyone for the support and advise. You all rock!