I see all the talk about coconut oil...

Options
Phrick
Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
Well, I bought some. I see people talking about cooking with it, using it as a skin moisturizer, just eating it straight ( :noway: ) - mine (Jarrow brand) says it's to be stored in the fridge after opening, however, this makes it so hard I have to chisel it out of the container. No possible way to keep tiny chunks from flying across the kitchen! Is it really supposed to be that hard? I can't imagine cooking with it when I have to work so hard to get crumbles out of the container, how do you measure that for an accurate calorie count anyway? Do I just need a different brand? What's wrong here?

Replies

• keri3
    keri3 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Different brand. Should be cold pressed and unrefined to get benefits. Impersonally like Kelapo or nutiva. That would just be annoying to refrigerate it.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I dont keep mine in the fridge....I hope it doesnt go bad. I have had it for 2 months it seems good. I love it..spread 1 tsp on a healthy ryvita cracker. Studies show it prevents and cure alsheimers..i saw this man on the news last week He could hardly draw with his disease and after 2 weeks of coconut oil..voila he can draw a clock not perfect but pretty good.
  • Superchikanthem
    Superchikanthem Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Good cold pressed coconut oil does not need to be kept in the fridge. It still is hard when at room temp so if I need a super accurate amount I just melt it and then measure. Its very forgiving with heat or cold.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    You don't need to refrigerate coconut oil..................think tropics and ask yourself why it would need to be. The nature of saturated fat is that it doesn't oxidize easily and coconut oil is 92% saturated, For example bacon fat is what 40% saturated fat and I leave that out as well with no problems whatsoever.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    I have organic coconut oil that I use as moisturizer and my skin has never been so soft and healthy. I put it on thick at night and just let it soak in. and it smells great!I love it for chap stick too. I don't cook with it.. but I might start.. I just needa new jar, as I'm not using the same jar I put on my skin to cook with that's icky. I did make peppermint patties out of it once, before i started using it on my skin, but they were icky.
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I love using it to bake. Sometimes I throw a little in my smoothies, and it makes cinnamon sweet potatoes delicious (roasted.)
  • badtastebetty
    badtastebetty Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    It's great for cooking! Has a high smoke point, and I love the flavour.Great for the skin, and as a hair mask.

Look up oil pulling for dental hygeine, and it can also be used as lubrication :wink:

You shouldn't need to refridgerate it, I would would try a different brand next time. Mine kept in the cupboard for over a year before I really started to make use of it.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,117 Member
    Options
    It doesn't go bad. I've used coconut oil for years. Try leaving it out. It should be fine. Just don't lick the spoon and put it back in the container. Then you've introduced bacteria.