Corned Beef & Cabbage

Options
SO Ive been looking threw the database for a estimate on Corned Beef & Cabbage. This weekend my mother inlaw is cooking this meal and the whole family will be there. I was going to just eat it and log it in BUT Im not sure its worth it?.. my question is does anyone really know the amout of calories in say a small piece of corned beef and some cabbage? I cannot get a straight number on the database. Homemade varies I guess.

Replies

• tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It depends, flat or point? How much marbling? What is being served with the cabbage? Potatoes, carrots? Butter? Too many variables to just throw out a random guess. Corned beef is brisket, and interestingly enough, it's actually Jewish in origin, not Irish at all. No idea how it got tied to an Irish holiday, as the Irish don't even really eat the stuff.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I think it's worth it. You have to live your life. That is what makes this doable long term. Go easy on it and estimate as best as you can. You don't want to sadly nibble on a lettuce leaf while your family celebrates. Not practical.

Oh yeah....and cabbage is practically free. So eat LOTS. :)
  • TinkerBelly65
    Options
    true there is too much to really count whats going on with it , ill have to just see what Im working with when I get there lol. Also Im not Irish but thats funny how corned beef is not the irish way huh wow wait till I tell my mother in law that one haha
  • alittlemopo
    alittlemopo Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Search for corned beef brisket in the database, then do your cabbage separately and whatever other veggies or potatoes your MIL might put in.
  • SMK683
    SMK683 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I just checked the label on my package of corned beef and a 4 oz. serving = 220 calories. That's just the beef.
  • kar1ey
    kar1ey Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'd say 4oz = 200 calories. i checked the label the other day for 2 different kinds. One said 200, the other said 210. The nutritional info is usually on the bottom of the package. I ate some the other day because I can't resist it... kept track of it, it made me happy, and no weight was gained!
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I just had some... this is what I got and logged.

2 cups of boiled cabbage(without butter)... 68 calories
    Reuben's Corned Beef brisket...point cut... 158 calories/3 oz. and 210 calories/4 oz.
  • maryjopatricia
    maryjopatricia Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I was just looking too ... LOVE corned beef & cabbage! Favorite this time of year ... we always had it growing up ... only a little bit Irish with a VERY proud father / grandfather ... it's Tradition. The origin comes from storing meat for winter ... it was a treat ... ENJOY!!! Erin go Braugh!
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    It's an American tradition, not an Irish one. The only people who eat corned beef and cabbage in Ireland are tourists.
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Try searching - corned silverside - Cabbage has very little calories. I find the sodium a killer in corned silverside, so I don't have it very often. Love it tho :smile:
  • TinkerBelly65
    Options
    Thank you everyone :O)
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Considering St Patrick's Day is not a holiday exclusive to Ireland, I don't know why it matters if us Irish American's want to eat Corned Beef brisket.