Muffin top

Options
umer76
umer76 Posts: 1,272 Member
I came across this term on mfp referring to jiggly belly on top of fitted jeans. I have gone down from 52 waist to almost 42 waist jeans. But with this size I am a bit of muffin top:( What are few effective exercises to get rid of the muffin top? I am doing a couple of them but would like to work on it intensly.

Replies

• Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce.

Eat at a deficit and strength train.

As long as you do this you will lose it eventually.
  • CherokeeBabe
    CherokeeBabe Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    Can't spot reduce, just keep doing what you're doing. You're on track and doing great! You're probably just inbetween sizes basically(bigger is too big, but the current size is just a tad snug and gives the bulge), so it'll pass in no time. :)
  • Stephie_J
    Stephie_J Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I found Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred helped to reduce my muffin top! :)

You can see my progress here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Stephie_J
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately you can't spot reduce.

Eat at a deficit and strength train.

As long as you do this you will lose it eventually.

YEP

NOPE
  • stackhsc
    stackhsc Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    you cant spot reduce but you can help tone.
    I lost weight last year and had the spare tire, roll, muffin top, what ever you want to call it.
    i put some weight back on and took another run at it this year. i now weigh about the same as i did at my lowest with the exception that this year i have been doing exercises that target muscles around my stomach and sides and i can notice a substantial difference in the amount of lose skin. yes if you pull on it its likely about the same but the added tone under it sure helps eliminate some of it too. 2 basic ones i have been doing... dont even know what they are called, i link my fingers and hold my hands around the height of my belly button, feet about shoulder width apart and twist my torso from side to side keeping my hips and face pointing forward so only your arms and torso twist. 150 ish times each side 2 times a day only takes a few miniutes. also standing leaning very slightly forward feet shoulder width apart. reach as far down the side of one leg as i can then back up and reach down the other side all trying to keep your hips as still as you can. 60-80 each side twice a day. im no pro and i wont guarantee they will work but i can feel it when i do them and i can see a difference in me. big thing for me is they are fast and easyish. i do em first thing in the morning before getting ready for work and last thing at night before i go to bed.
  • Stephie_J
    Options

NOPE

HOW RUDE!!!!!!!
  • DavPul
    Options

NOPE

HOW RUDE!!!!!!!

The calorie deficit got rid of any muffin top situation you may have had, not 30DS. Advising the OP to do 30DS as opposed to losing weight via a calorie deficit is bad advice.

You give incorrect advice and I'm rude for pointing that out?

tM9JMp6.gif
  • PaulFromEssex
    Options
    Can't spot reduce, just keep doing what you're doing. You're on track and doing great! You're probably just inbetween sizes basically(bigger is too big, but the current size is just a tad snug and gives the bulge), so it'll pass in no time. :)

^^^^ This^^^^

All bodies are unique, some lose weight evenly, some don't.

Keep doing what you are doing and eventually your weight loss will even out.

Great going man, you are well on your way!
  • Stephie_J
    Options

NOPE

HOW RUDE!!!!!!!

The calorie deficit got rid of any muffin top situation you may have had, not 30DS. Advising the OP to do 30DS as opposed to losing weight via a calorie deficit is bad advice.

You give incorrect advice and I'm rude for pointing that out?

tM9JMp6.gif

I have been following a low carb diet for 3 years and following a diet does not make me toned. Whereas 30 Day Shred does. I was mearly giving advice from my experience of the muffin top and have seen other people achieve similar results doing 30 Day Shred. Obviously if you do the 30DS dvd and eat faat food every day, you will not lose your muffin top but i dont think dieting alone will get the results quicker.

Your comment also made it sound like I haven't lost my muffin top which is why I said 'how rude'.
  • DavPul
    Options

Your comment also made it sound like I haven't lost my muffin top which is why I said 'how rude'.

I don't anything about your muffin top. I didn't click on your link. My comment was directly toward the OP, not to you. He needs to hear about calorie deficits, not specific exercise programs for him muffin top.

Off topic, but when did men start referring to their bodies as muffin tops? Just askin
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

Off topic, but when did men start referring to their bodies as muffin tops? Just askin

^^ This
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options

I don't anything about your muffin top. I didn't click on your link. My comment was directly toward the OP, not to you. He needs to hear about calorie deficits, not specific exercise programs for him muffin top.

they didn't
    The OP doesn't get the actual meaning of the term!
  • Stephie_J
    Options

I didn't realise the OP was a male! Oops! (Accessing mfp from my phone)
  • DavPul
    Options

HOW RUDE!!!!!
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I have always been told to get rid of the muffin top you need to find pants that fit you right. No pun intended by any means, but I know it's exciting to get into jeans a size smaller or 2 or 10 sizes smaller, but just because they button don't mean they are the size you are in yet, a size up may help you from having a muffin top.

I can button a size 2 but a 3/4 and some 5/6 jeans fit better, I like to breathe in my jeans.
  • Stephie_J
    Options

HOW RUDE!!!!!

Haha!
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I came across this term on mfp referring to jiggly belly on top of fitted jeans. I have gone down from 52 waist to almost 42 waist jeans. But with this size I am a bit of muffin top:( What are few effective exercises to get rid of the muffin top? I am doing a couple of them but would like to work on it intensly.

I think you have been mislead. A muffin top refers to the bulge of fat that you find spilling over the top of jeans on women who choose to wear low rise style. To do low rise without any muffin top action requires both a low fat physiques and the just right body shape for that style of pant.
  • sunsnstatheart
    sunsnstatheart Posts: 2,544 Member
    Options

HOW RUDE!!!!!

Haha!

Hey, OP, "Spare Tire" is an appropriate alternative . . .
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    *sigh*

So tired of people being called rude for telling the truth.
  • dlking13
    dlking13 Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree. I don't recall the term muffin top being used so much until the lower-waist jeans and pants became the norm. The way they fit, even the skinniest person can have a muffin top!