Greetings from the land of menopausal women

Options
Hi all, this is my first day of another attempt to lose weight after chemo and radiation and a divorce and..AND a daily dose of Tamixifen. I have tried everything else..now am trying the 4-5 mini meals a day and an hour (minimum) of exercise. Because of the cancer I have returned to my vegetarian roots, however I am finding my nails are in terrible shape now, peeling and breaking. Got any suggestions?

Replies

• rachellynneharry
    Options
    Hi all, this is my first day of another attempt to lose weight after chemo and radiation and a divorce and..AND a daily dose of Tamixifen. I have tried everything else..now am trying the 4-5 mini meals a day and an hour (minimum) of exercise. Because of the cancer I have returned to my vegetarian roots, however I am finding my nails are in terrible shape now, peeling and breaking. Got any suggestions?
  • FatDancer
    FatDancer Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Greetings rachellynneharry...how about some soymilk or soy protein powder added to vegetable juice...nuts are great but they are so high in calorie and fats...I still have to have a palm full once in awhile.

I think you'll find this site most helpful...the food diary enables me to meal plan and stick to my designated caloric intake.

I've been at it for a week and have lost 2 lbs...about 40 to go...

Your Teammate,
    Fat Dancer
  • redalee
    redalee Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Hi, if you go to The Herbs Place on the internet, and type in on their search engine "nails", they have some articles on why nails break. They mention a lack of protein and sulphur (which can be a problem getting enough of if you are vegetarian) with some suggestions. Hope you find what you're looking for. :smile:
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!
    :flowerforyou:
  • icandoit
    icandoit Posts: 4,163 Member
    Options
    Welcome rachellynneharry!!:flowerforyou: :happy:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,975 Member
    Options
    rachellynneharry,

Geez you got a bad deal, sorry! I did the chemo route, but I just slept for a year and lost 50 lbs. Luckily my divorce was WAAAY before the illness. The chemo sent me running to a Dermatologist: but once chemo was over, I had to confront the same type of issues. My skin, hair, nails just all gave up. I don't know anything about Tamixifen or radiation, though. I would definitely ask for a referral to a Dermatologist if you can. She helped me.

One thing I have found that helps though, is Barleans Omega 3-6-9 (liquid) supplement. Within about a week my nails and skin were looking very healthy. I wasn't eating enough oils, and although I wasn't totally vegan, I just wasn't eating fish or enough flax etc. I already eat quite a bit of soy (milk, and edamame - if you aren't eating edamame, start! - it's the best!).

Be well, we are all here for you. Do you have a support group in place? We have another thread going for the "over 50" crowd (I am a proud member) Here is THAT link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/2248-over-50

Link to Barleans "Total Omega 3-6-9 Supplement" (they have lots o' other good organic stuff, too.) --

http://www.barleans.com/total_omega.asp

~Cheryl
  • nathalie
    Options
    Hi Rachel,
    Seems like you been through some hard times!!!
    Sorry that I can't give you any suggestions for your nails etc but want to wish you success on your weight lose and to better health. You have come to the right place and will find yourself surrounded by by great people.

nat :flowerforyou: