Not losing on birth control

Options
Has anyone else had trouble losing weight while taking the bc pill? In the past I have never had any trouble losing weight. Always within the first week of eating better/less and moving more I will lose around 3-5lbs the first two weeks and then go down to around 1lb a week. This time is the first time I have tried while on any kind of bc. I have been going for 3 weeks now and haven't lost anything and my inches are the same? The only thing that is different this time (other than being a year older) is that I am on the pill. I'm not on it for birth control reasons, just to regulate my moods (lots of hormone issues) so I really think I should stop the pill and see if that works? Any ideas?

Replies

• SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    It depends on what type of pill and how it affects you.

I'm on the pop/mini pill. It doesn't have estrogen - I'm highly sensitive to estrogen and it can trigger migraines and cause seizures. I spent a lot of time with my doctor to find one that would work for me without nasty side effects. The first couple of months of the mini pill I gained 3 or so pounds of weight with bloating but it eventually leveled and I didn't gain weight overall. I've been able to lose weight normally since then.
  • Ashwee87
    Ashwee87 Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    The pill or any BC with hormones is notorious for making women gain weight.

Which is why I have the copper IUD, ParaGuard. Hormone free, last 10 years and still 99.9% effective. I have absolutely no issues from mine.

http://www.paragard.com/

ETA: The thing about the mini pill, I know countless women who have ended up pregnant on it. So if you do use it, you NEED to use another form of BC like condoms to prevent unwanted pregnancy.
  • NeverTooLateForChange
    NeverTooLateForChange Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use the Nuvaring and I think it has helped in regulating hormones and therefore aided in my weightloss.
  • Bunnehface
    Bunnehface Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was on the Cerazette bc pill which you take 365 days a year, it stopped my periods entirely. Since I've changed to Microgynon (three weeks on, one week off) I've started having periods again, but my weight loss has slowed right down. Now instead of losing a steady 1 lb a week, I've been staying the same for two weeks, gaining up to 5 lb when I have my TOM, going back to my start weight and losing 1-2 lb the week after my TOM. It's frustrating! But I wanted to have regular periods again as my h2b and I will be trying for another baby at the end of the year, and I heard it can take a long time to become regular again after being on Cerazette.
  • links_slayer
    links_slayer Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Ditch the pill and eat some wedding cake once or twice a week. They put some sort of libido suppressant in the frosting so you won't have to worry about being in the mood.

Problem solved.