Eliptical vs. Running

Options
Why is it that I burn more calories on the eliptical as opposed to running? I honestly don't feel like I'm working hard enough to burn more calories on the eliptical. :noway: Does this happen to everyone??

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Are you basing the calories burned on a Heat Rate Monitor that you are wearing, or on the machines' display screen?
  • supersarah14
    supersarah14 Posts: 170
    Options
    I don't have a HRM so I'm going off of MFP. MFP says I'm burning less than what it says on my machine so I'd rather under estimate than over estimate. I'm really considering buying a HRM though so I can stop with the guessing games.
  • foxgo
    foxgo Posts: 11
    Options
    I find that (based on the settings I use) I burn about the same from treadmill vs elliptical, as follows:

Elliptical: 20 mins at level 18 = 320 calories
    Treadmill: 20 mins at elevation 7, alternating between 4mph walk and 5mph jog = 320 calories

I think you just have to play around with your settings and make sure your age/weight is entered into the machines, along with monitoring your heartrate during the exercise.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    All 3 things (the machine, the HRM while on the machine, and the burn estimate on MFP) are all going to be wrong. Each model of elliptical is significantly different enough from each other that the calorie burn on it is going to be different enough from machine to machine.

the bodybug technology may be good enough to estimate, but i really don't know enough about it.
  • crobby
    crobby Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I find the same thing! I know it says you burn a lot more on the elliptical but I always feel like I'm burning more by running, it's so weird!
  • ryandarby
    ryandarby Posts: 24
    Options
    I use one of these cross trainer machines at my gym. if you can find one of these I would try it. this workout program they have built into the machine called the 30\30 is probably one of the best exercises you can do. check out this video on youtube. I have found youtube to be one of the best places to find new things to do, there are so many videos, so many different things to do it's really up to you as to what you like to do and feel comfortable with. If you're not into the workout program and you don't enjoy it you're not going to want to stick with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDpNqxpeXA0
  • elzettel
    elzettel Posts: 256
    Options
    I have an elliptical at home and when I started all this I LOVED all the calories it said I burned. Recently, I bought a Polar FT7 HRM and WHOA was it way off! I know nothing is going to be 100% accurate but I trust the HRM hands down way more than my machine. It (my machine) might say I burned 700 calories whereas the HRM would say somewhere around 200 or so. Disappointing but I knew I wasn't working as hard as when I run so in the back of my head I kind of suspected it. I really like my HRM and have read good things about the F6 as well (a little less expensive). I'd just recommend getting one with a chest strap. A friend of mine just ordered her Bodybug so I don't know much about that although she is very excited.
  • supersarah14
    Options
    Well you guys convinced me. :wink:

I just ordered a Polar F6. I'd been thinking about it for a while but I have a feeling not knowing what I'm burning is not helping my weight loss... :grumble:

I'm really excited to get it now!!!! :happy: Woot woot!
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    Nice! I have the Polar F6 too and it's great! I gives you a weekly report and I burned about 3500 calories last week... a whole pound! I found that I was burning around what the machine estimates for me on the elliptical, but I burned around the same amount running intervals too based on calories/minute. So, they both have their benefits, I just find the elliptical a bit easier when I'm tired and don't want to run... hehe.
  • supersarah14
    Options
    I use one of these cross trainer machines at my gym. if you can find one of these I would try it. this workout program they have built into the machine called the 30\30 is probably one of the best exercises you can do. check out this video on youtube. I have found youtube to be one of the best places to find new things to do, there are so many videos, so many different things to do it's really up to you as to what you like to do and feel comfortable with. If you're not into the workout program and you don't enjoy it you're not going to want to stick with it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDpNqxpeXA0

So cool! I wish my gym had a cross trainer machine. :grumble: Maybe I'll bug management. :wink:
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Doe your elliptical use your arms while you're on it? That may be why.

I ALWAYS burn more on the elliptical when compared to the treadmill which always boggles my mind because I feel like I work WAAAAAY harder on the treadmill. Different muscles being utilized I suppose.
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    There are a number of posts and research about the calorie burn each gives and I'm inclined to go with the slightly more crowd on the Elliptical but only IF you are actually using your arm muscles to really push hard to maintain a set speed. I feel like I've been lifting weights all through the session but I can't do that on a treadmill.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the treadmill more than anything but if the resistance levels are high enough on the elliptical I will burn quite a bit more than I can on a treadmill according to my heart rate monitor and also you have the added bonus that the muscles in your arms will still be burning calories after you finish.