Are fruits killing my diet?

Options
My numbers seem to say so.
I don't usually eat sweets (cookies, cakes, etc), but I love my fruit. I eat a banana at least once a day, an apple every other day and blueberries and strawberries everyday. I really hate the idea of removing my fruits in order to manage my sugar intake, but I'm not sure what else to cut?

Someone told me last week that fruits are not necessarily good for you because of the sweets. What?

I'm not really trying to lose, just maintain with my goal weight being my highest weight of the weak.

Am I going to have to eliminate some of my favorite fruits as I get older?

Replies

• CNYGAL
    CNYGAL Posts: 5
    Options
    It doesn't sound like you are going overboard with fruits and you don't eat a lot of other sweets so I think you should be fine. I have heard of people who eat three times as much fruit and I would see that as a problem.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    You mean your fruits are putting you over your calorie goal? If so, cut somewhere else to make room for them. If you just mean you're within your calorie goal but over on your sugar, ignore that and just pay attention to the total carb macro. As long as your macros are where you want them, fruit sugars aren't going to hurt you.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I LOVE my fruit and I will not remove it from my diet yes i go over on my sugar intake every day due to it but i don't honestly care i do not believe eating fruit can be bad for you i do not believe anyone got fat eating fruit and in many diet plans such as weight watchers and slimming world all fruit is free and unlimmitted and those plans work for people really well.

so i am by no means an expert and it is only my opinion but no i would not stop eating fruit berries epcifically are very good for you blueberries are high in antioxydents e.t.c i eat them every day almost with a banana, pear and often melon too my weight loss has slowed a bit recently but i do not believe it is cos of the fruit i eat but more so cos i am not eating enough
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    Options
    The sugar in fruits can be an issue if you have diabetes, or are prone to high blood sugar. Otherwise, pay attention to your total calories, and enjoy your nutritious, tasty fruits.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Fruit tend to make me hungrier and start craving sugar. Things like strawberries and raspberries are lower in sugar and higher in fiber so I try to stick to those. Oddly enough, I discovered yesterday that 1/4 cup of birthday blast ice cream (65 calories) kept me fuller and just satisfied my sweet cravings while a banana (around 90 calories since it was small) just made me hungry and made me start craving carbs. We all react differently to different foods.
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    No.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Just eat the fruits they're fine.

Just watch your overall carb intake for the day.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the troll.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    People who think eating fruit is the same as eating cake/cookies/pastries..etc are the same kind of people who feed their pets a vegan diet. Don't listen to those people.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You mean your fruits are putting you over your calorie goal? If so, cut somewhere else to make room for them. If you just mean you're within your calorie goal but over on your sugar, ignore that and just pay attention to the total carb macro. As long as your macros are where you want them, fruit sugars aren't going to hurt you.

^^ yep. Plus fruits contain a bunch of micro nutrients.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Fruit tend to make me hungrier and start craving sugar. Things like strawberries and raspberries are lower in sugar and higher in fiber so I try to stick to those. Oddly enough, I discovered yesterday that 1/4 cup of birthday blast ice cream (65 calories) kept me fuller and just satisfied my sweet cravings while a banana (around 90 calories since it was small) just made me hungry and made me start craving carbs. We all react differently to different foods.

HI, I have heard many people say that fruit makes them feel hungrier, i read somewhere recently that adding a small bit of protein with a peace of fruit helps prevent this, e.g some almonds maybe? just a suggestion :-)
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Don't feed the troll.

What on earth gives you the impression that the OP is a troll?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Please just take sugar off your food diary tracker and enjoy your fruit! Just track calories, protein, fats, and carbs. Two-three pieces a day will NOT hurt you unless your overall diet is over your calorie goal on a regular basis. Fruit is good, especially bananas. Enjoy it!
  • thinking_thinly
    thinking_thinly Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I eat fruit I choose fruits that give you more "bang" for your buck. For example, a WHOLE canteloupe is less than 250 calories!
  • annemcharles
    annemcharles Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I believe that fruits are good for you! They have fiber and lots of nutrients! Who cares if you go a little over your sugar intake as long as it is sugar that is benefitting you - which fruit does!
  • rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I have been successful in my weight loss without caring much about sugar. I don't have any sugar limitations as long as does not affect my total cals. Every day you would see in my diary I am over in sugar, but most of it is because of fruits. I avoid as much as possible white sugar or prepackaged cornershop rubbish.. I go with my fruit..
    If in a given time can't avoid it, not a problem, I adjust if I have to..
  • ArtGeek22
    ArtGeek22 Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think MFP's sugar is way to low and unrealistic. So if that is what you are worried about, try going to your diary settings and take out the sugar and track something else. But NEVER stop eating fruit, enjoy it :smile:
  • mohanj
    mohanj Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I love fruits. Last month I added one banana to my cereal everyday and noticed I am putting on weight. I cut down eating Banana to twice a week and I added more berries to my diet. Now I am doing much better with my diet. Give it a try.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I eat two servings of fruit a day and noticed I usually go over on sugar, too (when I pay attention to it). I have wondered about this also. But I do think fruit consumption keeps me satisfied and off the "bad" sweets.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I don't even watch my sugar intake. I just want total carbs, cals and fat. If you have been losing weight and are reaching your cal goals you should be just fine.