Eat before or after workout??

Options

Replies

• rvicini
    rvicini Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I NEED around 100+ cals before starting my workout that usually is after work.. It works for me.. However, if I had a lot for lunch, then I don't need.. It depends on your tank.. if it's full not a problem.. Empty? Eat something to energize yourself..
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    You should let personal preference dictate this decision.

/thread
  • Yasmine91
    Yasmine91 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I make sure that I work out 30 min after I eat and then after my work out I eat straight away. I make sure I eat lots of protein too.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    i eat before my workout get more out of it, tired and ends earlier otherwise. try it both ways and see if that holds true for you. afternoon workouts i've already eaten during the day so i go for it in any condition, then eat immediately after. the end.
  • Kathy_Noring
    Kathy_Noring Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    For me, it depends on how hard I am working out. I am a cyclist and often do 25-30 mile rides. I have to eat before those or I will "bonk." If I am just doing 30 minutes on the treadmill, I don't have to be as diligent about eating to keep up my stamina.
  • Jacqmomof3
    Jacqmomof3 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Both? I can't workout on an empty stomach, and I'm usually hungry after I workout.

This is what I do too. Split up my food. Yogurt & berries before, toast, peanut butter, fruit spread & herbal tea after. Mmm, nice and satisfied
  • RobinsonDawn
    RobinsonDawn Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I always eat before hand :)
  • sdurrahMpls
    sdurrahMpls Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    It's good to get in carbs an hour or so before your workout, and protein + complex carbs within 30-90 mins of finishing. The carbs first give your body energy so that you can maximize performance, meaning you'll get better results. The protein and carbs afterwards help your muscles repair and maximize gains (or fat loss...). If you workout in the morning, it's a good idea to get those pre-workout carbs because your body has gone hours without glycogen. It's always best to get these nutrients from foods that are least processed, and lower in sugar. Higher sugar is ok before your workout (i.e. bananas), but a good post workout meal would be something like chicken breast and brown rice. OR sweet potatoes and lean meat, quinoa and lean meat... I think you get the point.
  • Griffin220x
    Griffin220x Posts: 399
    Options
    both. An hour before and right after. Just eat your food.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Generally I try to eat a little before my workout, even if it's just a bit of peanut butter and half a banana. But I workout before supper and when I eat it's at least 45 mins before, so in your situation it's a bit different.
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1.5hrs after dinner. Knowing a workout is following helps me control portion size! I'll save seconds or more food for after my workout.
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Thank everyone!! You have all been very helpful!!:flowerforyou:
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    It's good to get in carbs an hour or so before your workout, and protein + complex carbs within 30-90 mins of finishing. The carbs first give your body energy so that you can maximize performance, meaning you'll get better results. The protein and carbs afterwards help your muscles repair and maximize gains (or fat loss...). If you workout in the morning, it's a good idea to get those pre-workout carbs because your body has gone hours without glycogen. It's always best to get these nutrients from foods that are least processed, and lower in sugar. Higher sugar is ok before your workout (i.e. bananas), but a good post workout meal would be something like chicken breast and brown rice. OR sweet potatoes and lean meat, quinoa and lean meat... I think you get the point.

I like your reply.Thanks I had a raspberry banana smoothie before and scrambled eggs with broccoli after..I had energy and didnt feel weak or faint as I have in the past
  • jagi410
    jagi410 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I usually eat 1.5hrs after dinner. Knowing a workout is following helps me control portion size! I'll save seconds or more food for after my workout.

Oops. I workout 1.5hrs after dinner :) Not eat!
  • isisbryan
    isisbryan Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    *bump*

I have been participating in Nike Training Club for about 2 weeks. Last night, I did it and ate a normal dinner. 3 hours later, I was starving when heading home from a late night church meeting! I stopped and purchased some food that I didn't really want to eat because I couldn't go to bed that hungry. I had to research hunger after workout because I felt that incident was counter productive. I found this helpful.
  • LBNOakland
    LBNOakland Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I enjoy fasted cardio and lifting if I can go in the morning. PT says it is better for fat burn. I just don't get sick and I really feel better! My son has to eat something. He almost passed out after one workout. It really does depend on the person.

If I work out at night (most of time) then I eat dinner because that is family time. I try to wait about an hour before going to the gym. I prefer morning workouts but my schedule doesn't allow it. I am already up at 4:45! LOL :sad:
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I usually eat before, not right before though. I have gone first thing in the morning without eating, it's awful.
  • ComputerHabit
    Options
    Both
  • sunlover89
    sunlover89 Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    Both. Morning cardio I always do fasted, followed up with a shake and a high protein meal an hour later.
    Evening weights, I would have eaten 3 meals by then...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    You should let personal preference dictate this decision.
    This. Meal timing has been proven to be mostly myth. Hit your calories and macros and you'll be fine.