hypothyroidism help!

Options
so i was diagnosed with hypothyroidism 6 weeks ago and today my dose has been increased to 75mcg. I just had my daughter 8 months ago. and before i was pregnant i weighed 120lbs. during my pregnancy i got up to 180lbs and completely lost my body. i now weigh 156 and cant lose weight for the life of me. its really hard for me to diet with my life being so hectic at the moment seeing as how i get no sleep and my schedule depends on my daughter. I feel like i shouldnt be having these problems at 18 but unfortunately i am and im so lost and confused on what to do to help myself. ive been trying to cut gluten out of my diet for the past week and ive been eating mainly fruits veggies and meat. My question is has anyone with hypothyroidism managed to drop the weight once the correct dosage of medicine was taken? and what are your diets like?
thank you!

Replies

• acbader
    acbader Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, before I had hypothyroidism, it was much MUCH easier for me to lose weight. I could put my mind to it, generally count my calories, and it would drop off. I lost 30 lbs over the course of 5 months, and that was awesome. However, it is MUCH harder for me to lose weight. Not saying it doesn't happen, it just takes a much more detailed and concerted effort.

I have to exercise at least 3x a week for at least 30 mins (at least 20 of those mins with an elevated heart rate) and I have to count every. single. calorie. I'm trying to stay around 1400 calories a day.

If I splurge one weekend and eat a little bigger meal or have more than 1 glass of wine, I get screwed and gain a pound and a half back. That's just one day of the week, and it sucks. so all the progress i made goes to heck.

Anyway, my goal is to lose 3lbs a month because it's very realistic with my personal set of circumstances, and that has made losing weight and sticking to my calorie goals much easier. 6 lbs lost since January, so I'm on track! :) If you go for that and try that way, you'll be back to 120 this time next year.

Good luck!
  • MCLA4mom
    MCLA4mom Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I was still struggling for years after being put on the correct dosage of meds. I decided to use a very structured program that had me eating 6 meals a day to balance my blood sugars (also was insulin resistant).I lost 75lbs and have kept it off for over a year. I feel soooooo much better!
    It's possible and you will find the right thing for you. Just keep turning over stones till you find whats right for you.
  • ericanom
    ericanom Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I've been taking Levothyroxine since December and I've managed to lose 5lbs since, I'm not sure whether it's to do with the medication or whether I've just been trying harder but I was finding it really difficult to lose just 1 or 2 lbs before I was diagnosed.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    Hi, before I had hypothyroidism, it was much MUCH easier for me to lose weight. I could put my mind to it, generally count my calories, and it would drop off. I lost 30 lbs over the course of 5 months, and that was awesome. However, it is MUCH harder for me to lose weight. Not saying it doesn't happen, it just takes a much more detailed and concerted effort.

I have to exercise at least 3x a week for at least 30 mins (at least 20 of those mins with an elevated heart rate) and I have to count every. single. calorie. I'm trying to stay around 1400 calories a day.

If I splurge one weekend and eat a little bigger meal or have more than 1 glass of wine, I get screwed and gain a pound and a half back. That's just one day of the week, and it sucks. so all the progress i made goes to heck.

Anyway, my goal is to lose 3lbs a month because it's very realistic with my personal set of circumstances, and that has made losing weight and sticking to my calorie goals much easier. 6 lbs lost since January, so I'm on track! :) If you go for that and try that way, you'll be back to 120 this time next year.

Good luck!

Same here, I have to fight for every ounce lost, mathematically speaking going over on a good meal by 500 cals on a weekend shouldn't affect a great week but for me it does, I have to stick to it rigidly and exercise for a decent loss and that's with my thyroid meds at the correct dose.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    it's HARD! i have had it for many many years, and i am on 88mg. You do need to give it time for your body to adjust to the medicine as it can take a good month or so to adjust to it, if it is the right does you will notice improvements...
  • lollwoman4u
    Options
    I too have hypothyroidism and it is so hard to get rid of the pounds. What were you eating to stabalize blood surgar?
  • lollwoman4u
    Options
    I am on 30 mg of armor and my doc will not raise the dose. I feel like it needs to be at 60mg
  • mrsna
    mrsna Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I went from being hyper to hypo. It has taken me almost 3 years to get things leveled out. I have yoyoed up and down and my dose has changed often. I have finally settled at 125mcg. Everytime my dose changes it takes my body 3 months to adjust to the new dose. I have lost about 50 lbs since late July with only 1 small dose change in that time. I love my doctor. She is willing to try anything that I ask (within reason) and takes the time to discuss the research I have done with me so we can decide together what is right for me. If you don't love your doc and can't discuss changes with your doc find a new one!! I live in a rural area and have to drive 3 hours to see my endo but it is totally worth it.

Stick with it. You can do it! Feel free to add me for support.
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    If your taking your meds correctly it should bring you back to a euthyroid state. I was diagnosed 21 years ago and didn't start losing weight until I started exercising snd counting my calories. All the med is doing is replacing the missing hormone. I had a worse disease than hypothyroidism, hand to mouth disease. Lol.
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    As everyone else stated, you do have to be very strict. Get the majority of your carbs & sugar from whole grains & fruits & veggies. Closely watch your sodium. Be sure to take your levothyroxine either 45 - 60 mins before breakfast or 2 hours after breakfast. Cardio helps tremendously. It's not uncommon for the dose to be periodically adjusted as the years go by. You'll eventually get in tune with your body & recognize the symptoms.
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Don't let hypothyroidism be your excuse. I have taken generic Synthroid for over 10 years, and I lost ALL of the weight I lost several years after the diagnosis.
    It took me writing EVERYTHING I eat down, keeping track of my carbs, and getting off my butt and moving to lose the weight. I walk.....and walk.....and walk. The best $200 I have ever spent was on a used treadmill. That was six years ago, and I still use it quite often when the weather is too cold/windy/hot, etc.
    Never let it be an excuse. If the weather is nice enough, get out there and walk with your daughter in the stroller.
    Kaye
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    Don't let hypothyroidism be your excuse. I have taken generic Synthroid for over 10 years, and I lost ALL of the weight I lost several years after the diagnosis.
    It took me writing EVERYTHING I eat down, keeping track of my carbs, and getting off my butt and moving to lose the weight. I walk.....and walk.....and walk. The best $200 I have ever spent was on a used treadmill. That was six years ago, and I still use it quite often when the weather is too cold/windy/hot, etc.
    Never let it be an excuse. If the weather is nice enough, get out there and walk with your daughter in the stroller.
    Kaye

very well said!
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I've had hypo my whole life, pretty much. It wasn't until I was pregnant with my daughter that they finally found the right dose for me - 200mcg. You read that right, 200! As soon as I hit the right dosage, weight loss became tons easier. As long as I exercised regularly and ate within my calories, it came off at a steady pace. Now I can tell when my dosage is off by watching how easy or hard it is to lose. For a while I was losing it way too fast, and sure enough they needed to lower my dosage. (Hyperthyroidism is really, REALLY bad for you and your heart. I was even having palpitations - scary to hear your heart stop beating for a few seconds!!) Now I'm waiting for my next bottle to show up in the mail - it's late - and my weight loss is slowing down. So don't get discouraged until your dose is right and you've been at the right dosage a few months with watching your calories and working out. When it's right, you should be able to lose without anything too crazy. :) Cheers!