Black Hair Care + Exercise????

Options
So I've finally dedicated myself to becoming healthier... However, I don't know what to do about my hair!! I do not perm it, but I usually keep a nice press and flat iron. Obviously, with all the SWEATING it is impossible to keep my hair looking good and healthy.

Any advice? My hair is naturally curly.. but not the cute curly.. its not all that thick and some parts seem to be extra frizzy while others are semi-straight. It's weird. But I've been looking crazy!!

Help!!

Replies

• AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Cut it off!

I'm just kidding.

I've never been the press and curl type - I either had a relaxer or an unpressed natural. There are a ton of websites with cute hairstyles for natural hair - youtube would be the first thing I'd check out.

Me personally I just live on wash and gos, so easy and low maintenance.

Also, what you describe sounds like heat damage. It's the main reason why I don't press my hair. The first time I did, I had straight parts and some of my curls were ruined & frizzy - so I cut it off (which is the only thing you can do to heat damaged hair).

Don't let your hair get in the way of exercise, too many black women already do:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/18/black-women-hair-avoid-exercise_n_2321539.html

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/254281.php

ETA: I realized I didn't really have any "advice" in there. If you want to keep on with the press, I can't help you with that because I honestly don't know how to do that. But if you don't mind to stop pressing, I'd go to a hair salon (or do it yourself) to get rid of the damaged parts and just rock your curls.
  • sacolema
    sacolema Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I was afraid you'd say that!!!!! Grrrrr lol. I've cut it off twice :-(...

Any particular products you recommend for natural curls?
  • MsAnn07
    MsAnn07 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    When I decided t get serious about weight loss I had to cut off my hair. I rock the natural curly look. On rare occasions I will go to the salon for a wash and press/flat iron.
    My suggestion is to cut off damaged parts of your hair. Rock the natural curly look until you reach your goal weight. Personally I use Dr. Miracles leave in conditioner and some other type of hair oil. That's it. Good luck and don't let your hair get in the way of your health.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I have natural hair and I press it and use flexi rods for a curl set. I use a sweat band (cloth headband) to absorb the swear around my edges while I'm working out.

As far as products - a couple of sprites of Maxtrix biolage hyrdatherapie in those really sweaty places help to prevent my hair from being super frizzy and keep down the salt from sweat. I use it so I don't have to wash my hair too much to minimize heat damage from blow dryers and flatirons.
  • pcdoctor01
    pcdoctor01 Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I workout in the morning so I still have rollers in my hair along with a bandana on my head. If I workout without rollers in my hair, I just do it. I'm transitioning. I refuse to big chop. I've been doing the keratin thing until I'm all natural. Right now I braid my hair and then use hair rollers on the end. My hair looks like Serena's right now. That's how I want my natural to look when it's 100% chemical free.
  • jvillabona
    Options
    Decrease the use of flat iron and increase the use of hair massage with the product you like the most. Give you hair a rest from excessive heat and it feel/look better.
  • k8eekins
    k8eekins Posts: 2,264 Member
    Options
    So I've finally dedicated myself to becoming healthier... However, I don't know what to do about my hair!! I do not perm it, but I usually keep a nice press and flat iron. Obviously, with all the SWEATING it is impossible to keep my hair looking good and healthy.

Any advice? My hair is naturally curly.. but not the cute curly.. its not all that thick and some parts seem to be extra frizzy while others are semi-straight. It's weird. But I've been looking crazy!!

Help!!

How are you doing with your daily fat intake?
  • AllAboutThatTreble
    AllAboutThatTreble Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I was afraid you'd say that!!!!! Grrrrr lol. I've cut it off twice :-(...

Any particular products you recommend for natural curls?

I'm the last person to ask about products hahaha. I'm a product junkie to the core and my bathroom is overfilled with hair products. But with all that said, I love Bee Mine Products, especially the curly butter for twist outs. And they smell so good! And they use natural & organic ingredients if that's important to you.

For my wash and gos, I typically just use cheap hair gel and a leave in conditioner. I do use the Kinky Curly curling custard, but only on rest days because I cowash after working out and on my student budget, kinky curly is quite expensive.

I subscribe to curlbox, which sends you a box every month with samples and some full size products. It's perfect for someone like me who likes to try out different things.

I like to experiment with my hair so I'm not really loyal to a brand. I wish you the best of luck though!
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    change your perceptions about your hair or continue to be unfit.

sorry i dont know how else to say it but it basically comes down to a choice and that choice comes down to changing perceptions.

FYI I've been black all my life and athletic - even on the swim team in high school - and i've never had an issue with crazy looking hair. i also dont relax my hair i either wear it in a fro, twists, braids, roller set, etc.

also, maybe the curls look crazy because you are frequently flat ironing which very often leads to sections of hair that dont revert, damaged hair, etc?
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I chose health over nice hair. So I wear sen in weaves and braids or just ponytails.
  • sacolema
    sacolema Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I definitely want to thank all of you ladies for the input :smile:
    My health is something that is important to me *now*... my hair was never the REASON for not exercising. I was just lazy :laugh:
    But seriously, I'm going to take the rollers into consideration and see what I can do about finding a product that does my natural hair some justice!! As far as it being damaged, I don't doubt that!
  • pcdoctor01
    Options
    This is how I want my hair to look once it's all natural. I'm wearing it like this right now but it's not 100% natural yet.
    (The picture on the left)
    This is also how I want my body to look once I lose 40lbs. The guy looks good too!
    ;)

23378_499975013398769_1409916911_n.jpg
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I have a suggestion don't know if you have ever tried the Chi Flat Iron but it's a really great one for curls. I would also reccomend coconut oil as a protectant from the heat of the flat iron and also it's just great to help condition and keep your hair in beautiful shape. I use virgin unrefined coconut oil. I am a hair stylist and the two best flat irons for curls are CHI or GHD. The rollers do sound like a great idea also.
  • Viveyp21
    Viveyp21 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

I WOULD LOVE TO LOOK LIKE HER! Although I do not think my hair would look close to that natural. I rock a perm and just pull my hair into a tight ponytail while working out and don't take it down until it drys. Usually dries pretty straight. I also use flat headbands on the roots when I have a lot of new growth.
  • pcdoctor01
    Options
    Men don't have to worry about this do they? Well, I guess other than being bald.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    This is how I want my hair to look once it's all natural. I'm wearing it like this right now but it's not 100% natural yet.
    (The picture on the left)
    This is also how I want my body to look once I lose 40lbs. The guy looks good too!
    ;)

That is some gorgeous hair!

You guys will laugh at me but one of the most stunning black women I ever have seen had an afro.
    why would this be funny?
    why would having an afro AND bing stunning be so diametrically opposed that someone would have to point it out as being strange?