45lbs down some pics

Options
Hi everyone, weighed in yesterday and looks like I've dropped about 45lbs since I started tracking properly. Have been up and down a bit with my weight. Similar story to many men I suppose. Was really fit before I went to university, played rugby and Taekwondo a lot. Got to Uni, and well, beer , pizza, curry, beer hit me. piled on the pounds, tried the old Atkins approach a few years later and lost a bit only to gain it all again and probably more.

I've a pretty hectic work life that involves lots of travel and often eating in hotels and had basically started to build more and more excuses up. Got up to about 18.5 stone / 117kg / 259lbs (think thats all regions covered :)

Carried on regardless. Not smart really. Last year my father was diagnosed with cancer, and watching him fight through the chemo losing lots of his overall body mass, and still coming out smiling I realised that if he can get through that I've got to be able to get my own *kitten* in gear.

So I did.

Nothing major - I've not suddenly become an olympian, I've just tried to maintain a good calorie deficit, track everything I eat save up calories for a chinese or other take-away. Started to introduce a bit more exercise into my schedule, and do a bit of lifting. Will start more compound lifting soon - should be good for me.
Introduced a lot more protein into my diet as it seems to keep me fuller for longer, and also generally feel better!

Anyway here are the progress pics :-

Weight - circa 260lbs I think
35137069_2223.jpg

35137069_4496.jpg

Weight a little less here - but not entirely sure as I wasn't tracking soon enough!
35137069_9077.jpg

Weight here shows an improvement probably down about 7 kilos here
35137069_1270.jpg

And as of yesterday I'm now 95kg roughly.

35137069_8838.jpg

a little bit of bicep showing too (im no SideSteel - but he's a great advisor)
35137069_304.jpg

My tips really are :-

1) Don't weigh yourself too often. - one of the best feelings I'd had was when I weighed in and had dropped 11lbs. Having not weighed for a while (my Wii fit tracks it all which is handy).
2) Try to balance protein intake with good fats / carbs and cut down sugar - I seem to hit regularly
3) Change your mindset from 'being on a diet' to using systems like MFP to re-educate yourself on what you are eating.
4) Sleep more.

I've been lucky my family have been great and my wife's doesn't stress over me eating different foods!

My plan is to change slowly, so that it sticks and try to get fit enough to do a tough mudder next year. So hopefully I'll have some more progress pics to post too!

If you're looking for some extra motivation feel free to add me.

Replies

• VeganVamp
    VeganVamp Posts: 28
    Options
    A truly amazing difference.

Well done you!
  • rosiereally2
    rosiereally2 Posts: 539 Member
    Options
    Wow! Great progress. You look fantastic.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    Ccongrats on the success. And I bet youu could do the mudder this year!
  • nik2710
    nik2710 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Fantastic loss. You look amazing. All your hard work is paying off. :) x
  • dawnfto
    dawnfto Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your loss, you have done so well :o)
  • LizzyAlexandra
    Options
    Congratulations! You look great :)
  • Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Great, congratulations!
  • kiangel
    kiangel Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Looking great , well done x
  • cyn196890
    cyn196890 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    wow well done ... i have just joined and u r doing so well and looking good ..
  • breajohnson
    breajohnson Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Wow! Amazing job. Keep up the good work.:happy:
  • barrattandrew
    Options
    Thanks for all the kind words!

Realised I didn't really put a time frame down, its taken me about 4-5 months and that is mostly with tracking food and maintaining a calorie deficit rather than just hammering exercise. Although I do try to get some sort of exercise in at least once a week if I can.

Tracking the food was difficult at first but one of the things I did was get some good digital scales and they weigh out a 100g of a lot of common foods, peanuts, almonds, rice, veg etc etc so that I could visualise what the various calories looked like. Rather than eat a whole bowl full of nuts now I'll eat a small handful of almonds. I also find it really helpful to take protein shakes as I can very easily quantify their total nutritional value and I'm hoping that by keeping my protein intake at a reasonable level that I don't lose too much muscle whilst I'm losing fat. Found that making my own protein bars has been a great way to give me a sweet(ish) but healthy treat. Definitely worth having a go if you've not before.

I'm hoping that the next set of pics are able to show some body re-sculpting from a bit of lifting but just taking it all a bit at a time as you can probably just about see from the "bicep" shot that I've got plenty of stretch marks and want to keep any excess skin to a min if I can. That all being said I'm really just trying to get fitter and healthier with a bit more muscle!
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Well done man, keep up the good work!
  • LisaLbsOff
    Options
    Excellent.. Very inspirational ;)
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    nice job, congrats!!! keep up the great work! :bigsmile:
  • Boobarella2
    Options
    You look great! and you can really notice a difference, grats!
  • bedazz562
    bedazz562 Posts: 23 Member
    Options

My tips really are :-

1) Don't weigh yourself too often. - one of the best feelings I'd had was when I weighed in and had dropped 11lbs. Having not weighed for a while (my Wii fit tracks it all which is handy).
    2) Try to balance protein intake with good fats / carbs and cut down sugar - I seem to hit regularly
    3) Change your mindset from 'being on a diet' to using systems like MFP to re-educate yourself on what you are eating.
    4) Sleep more.

My plan is to change slowly, so that it sticks and try to get fit enough to do a tough mudder next year. So hopefully I'll have some more progress pics to post too!

If you're looking for some extra motivation feel free to add me.

Cheers for the weight loss so far man!

I totally agree with your advice tips #1 and 3.

I use to weigh myself everyday, even multiple times a day and get disappointed because I wasn't dropping anything. I then switched to weighing myself weekly, or something 2x a week and that way I really am seeing a difference in losing the weight.

Also, yes my co-workers and friends asked me if I am on a diet, to which I reply "no, i've changed how I eat", which totally jives with your point 3. You have to look at it as a lifestyle change or as soon as you reach your desired goal, there is potential to gain all the weight back. Keep daily progress of what you eat (via MFP) is the best thing that has happened to me because it forces me to see WHAT I am putting into my body as opposed to blindly just eating anything and hoping for the best.

Here's to you on your continued success and becoming a healthier person!
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Way to go!!!! Well done and you did it right!
  • midnite81
    midnite81 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    You've done well :) great work.
  • JessicaPiche89
    JessicaPiche89 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    You have done really great!! Keep up the good work :)
  • beetpoet
    beetpoet Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    You have such handsome features. It's amazing how losing the pounds makes your face stand out. Keep up the great work! I love hearing about supportive families too. Thanks for putting this out there.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!