how do u make ur fruits/veggies last all week?

Options
mellynat
mellynat Posts: 345 Member
we are a family of 2 adults, 2 toddlers & a NB and I feel like i can never get our fruits/veggeis to last us all week. I buy plenty of variety and I feel like in a few days we are out. If i buy too much it goes bad. (not the season for too much fresh fruit now)and running to the grocery twice to buy it fresh w 3 babies in the cold weather it gets a little difficult. So any tips on how I can stock up and get the fruit/veggies to last longer so im not not throwing it away or eating cookies instead when the fruit is all gone.
THanks!

Replies

• EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Buy less but more often?

Or cook things up in advance and freeze for eating later in the week?

IDK - there's no miracle sure to get fresh produce to last longer you if only buy once a week and expect thing to last a full 7 days.
  • rumplesnat
    rumplesnat Posts: 372
    Options
    I usually buy frozen broccoli and cauliflower so it doesn't go bad before I use it. I roast a ton of zucchini and eggplant at the beginning of the week to last me as well. Bell peppers, I cut up and freeze for later use.
  • nel0311
    nel0311 Posts: 248
    Options
    bag them up in portions! freeze some :D
  • lemonfizzle
    lemonfizzle Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Purchase frozen veggies to use towards the end of the week. When chooing fruits like bananas or avocados try to chose ones that are not yet ripe that way they will be ready to use towards the end of the week. Keep them away from each other and other ripe fruits which will help them ripen slower. I also purchase melons that are under ripe. I find that oranges and apples will last a week to a week and a half so I stock up on those. I wash berries in a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water solution as soon as I get them home and that helps them last a bit longer. Also, cucumbers and peppers will usually last the week in the crisper. My family and I will usually eat the berries and grapes I purchase within the first few days, then we move onto the other fruits.
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Check to see if you have Bountiful Baskets in your area (www.bountifulbaskets.org). For $15 (or $25 for organic) you get lots of fruits and veggies and since they come direct from the grower they don't spoil as quickly as stuff that has been sitting in a store bin for a while. It is a great program!!
  • carlysuzanne85
    carlysuzanne85 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    How you store your fruits and veggies can make a big difference too. I follow this chart and it has helped a lot.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1103
  • nenacakesxo
    nenacakesxo Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i make a trip to the store 2x a week :/ My family eats more bananas than all of the gorillas at the san diego zoo
  • LynNann57
    LynNann57 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    II only shop once a week, and this is what I buy fresh this time of year - boxed lettuce- by Olivia's Organics, with the longest code available. Peppers, carrots, red cabbage, mushrooms. Fruit is bananas, grapes, pineapple,pears, kiwi, and apples. Try not washing the produce till just before you eat it, and the type of lettuce you buy matters, as does how you store it.. We are big salad eaters. I do not buy the bags of lettuce (like Dole)- they do not last. The fresh heads, I wash just before we eat it, but right now in my area at least, the fresh lettuce looks awful. I also buy most of the bananas note ripe, so they ripen mid week, and some I freeze because they are tasty frozen!
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    Pay attention to where it is imported from. If you live North and you buy something from Peru it won't last as long, because it was on a truck for a week before you got it.

Also some things don't ripen after they are picked; like strawberries, pears and peaches. Those are best bought locally and consumed within a couple days of purchase.
  • mellynat
    Options
    How you store your fruits and veggies can make a big difference too. I follow this chart and it has helped a lot.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource/nutrition_articles.asp?id=1103

thank u! i've seen the list before. good reminder!
  • mellynat
    Options
    Purchase frozen veggies to use towards the end of the week. When chooing fruits like bananas or avocados try to chose ones that are not yet ripe that way they will be ready to use towards the end of the week. Keep them away from each other and other ripe fruits which will help them ripen slower. I also purchase melons that are under ripe. I find that oranges and apples will last a week to a week and a half so I stock up on those. I wash berries in a 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water solution as soon as I get them home and that helps them last a bit longer. Also, cucumbers and peppers will usually last the week in the crisper. My family and I will usually eat the berries and grapes I purchase within the first few days, then we move onto the other fruits.

smart idea on the frozen veggies. i usually never buy them frozen. thanks!
  • mellynat
    Options
    Pay attention to where it is imported from. If you live North and you buy something from Peru it won't last as long, because it was on a truck for a week before you got it.

that makes sense! never took that in consideration
  • mellynat
    Options
    II only shop once a week, and this is what I buy fresh this time of year - boxed lettuce- by Olivia's Organics, with the longest code available. Peppers, carrots, red cabbage, mushrooms. Fruit is bananas, grapes, pineapple,pears, kiwi, and apples. Try not washing the produce till just before you eat it, and the type of lettuce you buy matters, as does how you store it.. We are big salad eaters. I do not buy the bags of lettuce (like Dole)- they do not last. The fresh heads, I wash just before we eat it, but right now in my area at least, the fresh lettuce looks awful. I also buy most of the bananas note ripe, so they ripen mid week, and some I freeze because they are tasty frozen!
    i noticed that about the salad. it always spoils faster in the bag.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I hate wasting food! I just purchased a clay thing (looks like a carrot) to put into the vegetable drawer to absorb excess moisture. I'm told it works and time will tell. I buy boxes of spring mix and spinach occasionally and I always put a paper towel in the box after opening it. It seems to help keep it from getting mucky. Another idea is to plan to use the more perishable produce early in the week and leave the rest (broccoli, for example) for later, as it keeps longer.
  • tayteetots
    tayteetots Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I agree on the frozen. If you have a costco (or i think in the states in Sam's Club??) the frozen fruit is a good price too. I recently bought a giant bag of pineapple and just pack in frozen in my lunch and its thawed out by the time I want to eat it. All the berry mixes are really good for smoothies too.
  • DragonflyF15
    DragonflyF15 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I've given up on the once a week trip to the grocery store since I've decided to eat more clean, esp cause I do a daily fruit/veggie smoothie. I do my bulk shopping once a week, but go again mid week for a restock on veggies and fruit so it's usually a quick trip in only the produce aisle. Don't dismiss frozen fruit either, or even freezing your own fruits, esp if making smoothies/juices. Frozen fruits and veggies are often done so quickly from picking, so they still have nutritional value. Just let them thaw naturally, or with veggies, steam them. I go to Costco and stock up :)

Stuff that last a full week:
    Apples
    Oranges
    Bananas, buy some ripe and the other green and keep them away from each other
    Grapefruits
    Grapes
    Lemons
    Berries can be frozen, but spread them out on a cookie sheet first without touching, freeze, then add them to a bag to freeze
    Spinach
    Kale
    Broccoli
    Cauliflower
    Brussel Sprouts
    Carrots
    Root vegetables
    Cabbage
    Squash

The person who made the comment about buy local is right. Fruits imported tend to spoil quicker, not to mention sometimes sprayed with stuff to help it last the transport time.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    fruit is a bit harder, but veggies are easy because I make alot of meals with them then freeze. I also buy bags of frozen veggies and break it up into individual serves.
  • likeschocolate
    likeschocolate Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Apples and oranges usually last reasonably long.

Also second the suggestion of stocking up on some frozen vegetables.