Protein?

Options
Any suggestions about how to load up on my protein without all the calories? I hit up the protein shakes and eggs but would like to get that protein count up without loading up on calories.

Replies

• carlosdon
    carlosdon Posts: 125
    Options
    dried milk powder, cottage cheese. kale, peas, greek yoghurt
  • samtrois
    samtrois Posts: 27
    Options
    I think there are about 4-5 calories in a gram of protein regardless of how you ingest it.

You will struggle to find something less calories than protein shakes, that range from 70-90% protein.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    When I up my protein my need for "empty" carbs normally drops quite significantly, so I find that I dont really have to worry about the increased protein calories, as I am eating less calorie expensive carbs....
  • JTKross
    JTKross Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you everybody, Ill give it a try ...
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    Egg whites are all protein and no carbs or fat so all of the calories are coming from protein. I eat them everyday to get my protein up since I'm a vegetarian.
  • diaryofaskinnygirl
    Options
    I love to eat chicken, turkey mince and beef mince as part of my dinner to really up my protein :)
  • Tigs63
    Tigs63 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Protein bars (I love Quest). Protein powder with almond milk, stirred into sugar-free pudding, mixed with creamer in coffee. Shaved deli meats wrapped in cheese. Add cheese whenever you can to meats and veggies. Greek yogurt, peanut or almond butter, and nuts.
  • happydaze71
    happydaze71 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    egg whites are awesome!!!!! I also mix my protein shakes most of the time just with a bit of water. How much protein are you trying to get in a day?
  • JTKross
    Options
    about 265 g
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Eggs, beans and seafood :)

Ax
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion would be load up the veggies. It will get you in extra protein without a lot of calories. Spinach and kale are good sources of green protein. Load up a salad or two a day of these guys with a light dressing. Sound better to me than a protein shake.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    265g?

No one needs that much protein. I'm sorry.
  • tomg33
    tomg33 Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    My only suggestion would be load up the veggies. It will get you in extra protein without a lot of calories. Spinach and kale are good sources of green protein. Load up a salad or two a day of these guys with a light dressing. Sound better to me than a protein shake.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2461/2

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/vegetables-and-vegetable-products/2626/2

Brb, eating 1kg (2.2lb) of spinach to get 30g of protein... Vegetables cannot work as a protein source for a serious strength athlete, especially a male.
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna has lots of protein, as does boneless, skinless chicken. If you limit yourself to one serving of these things, getting protein shouldn't be that difficult as they are not calorie-dense foods.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    265g?

Yeah, where are you getting this number from?
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    265g?

Why not? I'm only 59kg & today alone I need 82g. It depends on what the OP is actually doing. Bulking up he'd need more & then depending on his weight & his activities.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think there are about 4-5 calories in a gram of protein regardless of how you ingest it.

You will struggle to find something less calories than protein shakes, that range from 70-90% protein.
    This is true... There are 4 calories per gram of protein (same in carbohydrates, fat has 9 calories per gram).
    I found a protein powder that gets pretty much all of its calories from protein called Isopure. It has 210 calories/serving with 50 grams of protein in each serving (4 calories per gram of protein x50 grams of protein per serving = 200 calories of pure protein).
    Thats a lot of protein. Most of the time I use only 1/4 of the listed serving and add it to the almond milk on my cereal, add it to plain or vanilla greek yogurt or cottage cheese to up my protein intake throughout the day, not just at one time during the day.

Here is their website just for FYI: http://www.theisopurecompany.com/en/powders
  • Anayalata
    Anayalata Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    265g?

Why not? I'm only 59kg & today alone I need 82g. It depends on what the OP is actually doing. Bulking up he'd need more & then depending on his weight & his activities.

Wrong. You only need to ingest your lean body weight (in lbs) of protein (in grams). This is regardless of your activity level or total calories needed.

I weigh 160lbs so I ingest 160g of protein to be on the high-end of what I actually need.
  • JJordon
    JJordon Posts: 857 Member
    Options
    Any suggestions about how to load up on my protein without all the calories? I hit up the protein shakes and eggs but would like to get that protein count up without loading up on calories.

Fat free milk with that protein powder helps. Also, add a little bit of those liquid egg whites to that, too. Delicious.
  • JTKross
    Options
    I weight 265 pounds. I pro wrestle and lift pretty hard so that's why i'm saying 265...