Does anyone eat venison?

Options
rybo
rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
I've seen about every other clean food talked about on here but not deer meat (venison). About as healthy & organic as it gets for red meat.

Replies

• nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I will eat it ground and in something, otherwise I don't like it. Its too gamey. I've tried different parts, but can't do it.

We did marinade some chops in italian dressing for a few days once and I could eat that.
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm married to a hunter... so the only red meat we usually eat is deer and elk :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    MMMMMMmmmm! Back straps, sliced into madalions (sp), some s&p, garlic, let sit in merlot wine for 1/2 hour then grill - OMG, my mouth is watering!
  • laughingdani
    laughingdani Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much the only red meat we eat as well. My husband and my family are all hunters, so we have a constant supply of deer and every once in a while elk.
  • shaymh
    shaymh Posts: 7
    Options
    Venison is delicious! We eat it usually at least once a week! Just had venison burger int tacos last night! The night before we had it marinated in BBQ on the grill. I have never thought that is has tasted gamey, but I grew up on it.
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    I grew up in in the Allegany Forest in Western PA so I've eaten a lot of venison in my time. Used to love venison burgers. I've always been told it's one of the leanest meats you can eat. Also heard good things about Bison. My 88-year-old neighbor, yes I said 88, just brought us a pound of Bison and told me that Dr. Oz highly recommends it! I'm going to try it this weekend. After all, she is 88, she must be doing something right!
  • LittleMissAngi
    LittleMissAngi Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    venison jerkey... yummy!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    Unfortunately, where we live in California the hunter to deer ratio is too high. So it is rare that Hubby gets one when he goes but I swear it is the best tasting meat ever.. I love it but then again my Godfather used to be a avid hunter and so we always had an abundance of it. But that was when I was younger and lived in Ohio. I have tried to find it for sale around here but can't seem to find it anywhere. If anyone knows where you can buy it that would be great.

Back to your topic. Venison is yummy and we normally season it with teriyaki and pineapple juice and we also season ours with Pappy's seasoning too..
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I love venison. :D Don't get to have it too often though.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Good to see others eating deer meat. I grew up on it and get enough deer a season that I have never had to buy beef at the store, ever.

roadchic18
    I live just outside of pittsburgh, we go camping up the ANF all the time.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    We do!! Unfortunately, hunting around here was not as good last year so my freezer is almost empty of venison. We did have some deer steaks on the grill the other night though... yum!! We use it instead of ground beef in most everything... taco meat, chili, spaghetti... it's lean and delicious!
  • kelly_a
    kelly_a Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    yup, married into a family of hunters. over the years we have mostly had burger and minute steaks ( my fav ), stix, bologna, jerky, and this year we did bacon. When we cook the bacon, there is NO fat in the pan....nothing. My youngest son wanted to do a comparison between pork bacon and venison for a school project, so we called the locker for nutritional info and they said they really had no idea...but that someday soon there would likely be one. We use venison for lots of things.....chili, lasagna, meatloaf, sloppy jo's, spaghetti, goulash, VLT's. Very lean!
  • sportygal
    sportygal Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I've had venison in stew and it's not bad....but I have to say BUFFALO is awesome!!! Pretty lean and the fat that is on it, tastes like butter! :) Yummy!!! I've had it as a steak and also as a ground burger.
  • roadchic18
    roadchic18 Posts: 128
    Options
    Good to see others eating deer meat. I grew up on it and get enough deer a season that I have never had to buy beef at the store, ever.

roadchic18
    I live just outside of pittsburgh, we go camping up the ANF all the time.

Oh wow! I think it's one of the most beautiful areas. I grew up outside of Bradford. I still get homesick for the hills. My husband is from just over the border in Western, NY. Unfortunately there's not much left up that way for jobs which is why we ended up down south. We would love to have a summer home up there some day. I tell people down here about the size of some of the deer up there and they don't believe me, here they're about the size of a big dog.