Black Toe Nails from running?

Options
Any advice on how to prevent/treat them? Why is this happening? (I was just giving myself a pedicure and much to my suprise two of my toenails are turning black!)

Replies

• livingdeadbuddha
    livingdeadbuddha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Your shoes may not fit well.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Shouldn't happen with the right shoes (unless you are doing a lot of downhill or intense trail running). Go up a size from street shoes in your running shoes. Feet can swell over the course of a run.
  • julialla
    julialla Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I think I have the wrong size shoe then. My feet swell a lot after any exercise. Anything I should do to treat the toes...or just let it grow out and paint over them??

Great article, thanks!!
  • sabur
    sabur Posts: 13
    Options
    I get these from basketball alllll the time.

Like you said, just let them grow out and fall off...
    I'm praying mine are gone before summer haha :)
  • rschwimer
    Options
    Black toenails are considered a badge of honor in the running world, so congrats! I usually lose 2 of mine after 1/2 marathons :) Under Armour makes great running socks that have little rubber nubbies on the bottoms. They keep your feet from sliding forward in your shoes, which is usually what causes the damage.
  • 777Gemma888
    777Gemma888 Posts: 9,578 Member
    Options
    Black Toe Nails from running?

I would have to agree with the posters who'd suggested, that you may have improperly fitted footwear. I have been walking/running long distances since the end of September and I have yet to encounter this issue. Try to make certain you have enough wiggle room in the toe area of your runners and socks(mentioned by another poster too@Armour brand). If they are too tightly wedged in, you hurt and injure the toenail. Try to purchase some runners 1 size up from your normal shoe size. Due to the fact that you might be a fairly new runner(walker for walkers), your feet will swell and if it does happen, then you NEED to accommodate it. If you do not, you will be forced to deal with black toe nails.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Google "Toenail necklace" and you'll learn way more than you ever, ever wanted to about toenail loss from running.
  • iheartwhitetea
    iheartwhitetea Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I'm going to agree with many posters before me - it is probably the shoes. I worked in a specialty running store and fitted shoes all the time, and we fitted shoes to people anywhere between .5 and 1.5 sizes larger than their street / dress shoe size. Occasionally I would have customers who would try on the shoes I brought out without looking at the boxes, pick the ones that she liked best and was most comfortable, and then was really surprised at the size =) My dress shoe size is 7.5/8, and my running shoe size is 8.5. The idea is you want to have comfortable wiggle room in your toes. Pressing your thumb down on the tip of your shoe, you should have at least .5-.75 inches before the end of your toe.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    shower
  • acm2789
    acm2789 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I started running again recently and this happened to me too! Don't mind the excuse for new shoes though ;)
  • dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    The guy at the running store I frequent said today depending how much and how hard youre pounding you may need to go up 1/2 shoe size. Either way I would go get fitted at a running store.
  • zoukeira
    zoukeira Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    Get properly fitted, don't just go for a size up. You might find it's not just about shoe length but also shoe width so ensuring you're properly fitted is incredibly important.

Also make sure you're wearing good socks, I personally LOVE thorlo socks. And keep your toenails trimmed really short!

You can't really do anything now, paint your toenails so it's not as obvious, tape the nail down with strapping tape when it starts to come off and flaps around a bit and pull it off when it's ready. Oh and you might find onece the nail's gone you blister easily on the top of the toe where the nail should be, so keep something handy (bandaid. blister pad etc) to stick over it when you're training.
  • avababy05
    avababy05 Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    Happened to me too my first couple of months of running.

Went up a half a size and they were fine
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Make sure that you have good shoes (like everyone else has said) and make sure that you have good socks too. I lost 2 1/2 (yes that's right) for an 11 mile run two weeks ago. Wear your black toenails as a badge of honor!
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the other posts. If my shoes are too short it pushes the nail into the cuticle causing it to bleed under the skin and sometimes under the toenail which turns black. Check your sizing.