Getting my body fat % down

Options
I'm currently at 23% body fat. I'm 5'5, 141 lbs. I understand the exercise portion of weightloss (cardio, weight training etc. I'm currently doing boxing) but I heard from a friend of mine that your health is 70% what you eat. So what's the most resonable way I can eat and still lose my body fat at a decent pace? I'm hoping to get to 21% by June.

Replies

• LeanButNotMean44
    LeanButNotMean44 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    IMHO, nutrition is more like 90% of the equation. Looking at your food diary, I would suggest you eat more protein - 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass. That means at 140# and 23% body fat you should be eating between 108-162g of protein each day. Make sure it's LEAN protein and try to cut down on your processed foods (your crackers, candy, etc.). And of course, LIFT HEAVY. :smile:
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    IMHO, nutrition is more like 90% of the equation. Looking at your food diary, I would suggest you eat more protein - 1-1.5 grams per pound of lean mass. That means at 140# and 23% body fat you should be eating between 108-162g of protein each day. Make sure it's LEAN protein and try to cut down on your processed foods (your crackers, candy, etc.). And of course, LIFT HEAVY. :smile:

This!! :drinker:
  • Energizer06
    Energizer06 Posts: 311 Member
    Options

Lifting heavy is a neurological adaptation. 2nd, if she ate that much protein and was over her calories what would happen? Weight loss is about calories, not protein, or carbs, or fats, it's about calories. Beginners have a tendency to over complicate things which leads to failure.

Wrong.....Goes hand in hand. Calorie deficit allows weight loss. Lifting allows a minimal amount of Lean Body Mass (muscle) to not be lost while on a calorie deficit. If you don't lift you will lose more lean muscle (than you would like). This is what coined the term "skinny fat". People lost weight and did not lift or do cardio allowing them to loss weight while maintaining a higher BF%.

I love this statement: Lifting heavy is a neurological adaptation. Wrong again. You need clarify b4 making vague statements. Neurological adaptation commonly called "muscle memory" = gaining strength and not muscle size. Usually from doing the same exercise over and over again. Some like to call it muscle confusion by mixing up their routines with various exercises. Google might help you out on that one.

And yes, eat your protein while staying on the caloric deficit-- to keep as much lean muscle.
  • phildawson75
    phildawson75 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    It is really about a deficit over what you eat.

I haven't ever lifted heavy, and I eat a balanced diet of both nutritionally good and bad food and drink. I'm eat vegetarian 5 days out of 7, and never focus on macros at all.

My BF has gone from 27% to 12% and I've retained and strengthened my muscles through just doing push-ups, crunches at home and walking.

There's no need to overthink it.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Eat to a reasonable caloric deficit, mainly nutrient dense foods, but throwing in treats here and there if you wish. Get your macros right (I recommend 1g protein per lb of LBM, and 0.35g of fat per lb of body weight as minimums), strength train, and be patient.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    Eat to a reasonable caloric deficit, mainly nutrient dense foods, but throwing in treats here and there if you wish. Get your macros right (I recommend 1g protein per lb of LBM, and 0.35g of fat per lb of body weight as minimums), strength train, and be patient.

^this. easy peasy, lemon squeezy.

Don't over-complicate it.
  • rcalvert1
    rcalvert1 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • hannahcall2
    hannahcall2 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the imput! Didn't mean to start a fight guys haha. I have been really bad on my protein lately, and I've been really crunching on the nuts:/
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    I've been really crunching on the nuts:/

Hnnnnnngggg!
  • JoanB5
    JoanB5 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Bumping. Good info!