Boxed/Packaged Meals (Good or Bad?)

Options
What do you think about boxed meals that you just heat and eat? I like them - the amount of sodium is the only thing that bothers me. However they seem too good to be true, are they? My favorite is Lean Cuisine Three Cheese Ziti - what is yours? PS I hate the NutriSystem meals did anyone like those?

Replies

• Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them for lunch everyday as well (lean cuisines, smart ones etc), solely because of the low calories and they didn't taste too bad. But, like you, one day i looked at the sodium and was somewhat disgusted. My solution is that now I keep them for days that maybe i forgot my lunch or didn't have time to prepare one. I try not to eat more than two a week. My favorite is the Chicken Suiza Enchilada! :)
  • smuehlbauer
    smuehlbauer Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I can't stand them personally. I'm not a big fan of a lot of processed foods.
    The sodium is way high in them.
    I'm lucky that I have time to and enjoy cooking. Then I just take left overs with me to work the next day for lunch!
    But if you like them, there's nothing wrong with them. :happy:
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    Oh, and I use to eat the Healthy Choice Merlot Beef Steamer one, very yummy!
  • Holton
    Holton Posts: 1,018
    Options
    The only time I use them is when I have a rushed need which is not that often, but I do keep 2 Healthy Choice Cafe Steamers in my freezer for such purposes.
  • maddox22
    maddox22 Posts: 91
    Options
    I used to eat them, and then realized that with how much they cost I could make two or three times as much real food at home, freeze it, and still have a "frozen meal" to eat at work. And then I know what's in them (and what's not in them).

I don't think they're the worst thing in the world--certainly better than fast food. But I think they're overrated in general, especially the ones directed at people trying to lose weight. They want you to think the only way you can have a 300 calorie, filling meal is by buying their product--but the big secret they don't want you know is that it's cheaper and healthier to make your own--and not really any more difficult or time-consuming.

I view them now in the same way I view ice cream, cookies, or french fries--as a treat that I might enjoy once in a while, but not something I eat frequently.

But, like I said, they're not horrible. If it works for you, then go for it.
  • OctoberBabe
    OctoberBabe Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Yea I too try and stay away from processed foods because of the sodium. I have to watch my sodium intake because I'm very likely to retain fluid if I don't. Everyone is different when it comes to sodium intake so do what you feel is best for you. I alway like the Lean Cuisines the best when I did eat them.
  • KaeChelle
    KaeChelle Posts: 576
    Options
    A lot of people on here are against eating these kinds of foods, but honestly, the way I see it is they are much better choices than what I used to eat, which was fast (greasy) food every day of the week. I work 4 days a week, and I usually only eat these kinds of meals for lunch at work because they are quick and easy, and as I said, healthier than other alternatives that are near my workplace. My new favorite frozen meal is Marie Callender's Asian Recipes Chicken Teriyaki.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of lazy, so I'll have one for dinner as much as a few times a week. I LOVE the Safeway Eating Right brand, it's not terrible on sodium and they taste a lot better than Healthy Choice. My favorite is Butternut Squash Ravioli. It's DELICIOUS. I'm ok with eating one on occasion, I balance the sodium out by eating less at lunch.
  • metco89
    metco89 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    MIchaelina's light gourmet frozen entrees are great, they are as good as the more expensive brands, they are on sale here all the time for usually a dollar for one. The pizza is really good, satisfies my craving for pizza and saves me money!!!! :flowerforyou: :smile:
  • ArmyWife815
    Options
    I like using them. They help me with portion control. Some taste better than others. The one I just ate for lunch will not be repurchased. It was Healthy Choice Chicken Pad Thai. Weight Watchers Spaghetti and Lean Cuisine Lasagna are two of my favorites. They are very convenient at work for lunch. I usually prepare vegetables to go along with them. I purchase Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice Steamers, and Weight Watcher meals. Once a co-worker gave me some Nutri System Meals that her daughter did not use. I did not like the selections I was given. Can't speak for the Nutri System Program as a whole. I just started my journey Saturday and said I wouldn't weigh until 6/19. Couldn't resist the scale this am... I have lost 4 pounds!! I will continue to use them on the days I work and cook on my days off. (I work 12 hour shifts)
  • tamalea
    tamalea Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I eat one almost every day. I love the healthy choice steamers, however my fav is Lean Michelina's meatloaf. It may not be the best tasting one, but it feels me up for only 180 calories. I do track my sodium along with my calories, fat etc, so I can see if I am taking in too much. They may not be the healthiest, but the ease of these keeps me out to Mcdonalds drive thru. I spend my lunch time at Curves, then eat microwave meals at my desk.
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I am one to say Step Away from the processed foods. They are not good for you no matter how much the name if it says "healthy" or "smart"
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I eat them. I also get the lean pockets.

Sure, they are processed and have more sodium than need be really.

My alternative is usually fast food.

I've love to know how they are not more time consuming than cooking them yourself. Uh, I'm pretty sure buying and popping a frozen meal in the microwave is way less time consuming than cooking an entire meal, including figuring it out, buying the ingredients, preparing, clean up, and portioning for the next days lunch. Yeah, that is so not true.

I'd love to get to the day I can make all my meals, but right now that is just not gonna happen often.

The chicken enchilada suiza is my fave as well.
  • smuehlbauer
    Options
    I think the time consuming was meant as when you're cooking dinner already, to package up some and freeze to take to work with you.
    Heehee.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I eat them for lunch out of convenience, and I drink a lot of water so sodium is as much of a concern
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    I used to keep some around when I worked retail, just for when I didn't have leftovers handy. Now that I have actual LUNCH BREAKS, I can go out, find something good, sit down and enjoy my meal, and I often find that they cost about the same as the microwavable junk.

I do, however, still keep breakfast Lean Pockets and Jimmy Dean frozen stuff in the freezer, for busy mornings.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    I use to eat them alot.....Healthy Choice was my favorite, it was also the cheapest at the time......When I used it, I lost alot of weight, they are low in calories and very filling to me....and I ate fruits etc in between....but that was years go. I havent eaten them in a while....back when I use to eat them, I didnt worry about sodium content, so I wasnt aware of how the sodium was.
  • cdavis1126
    cdavis1126 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    So I guess everyone on here who voted for 'yes" missed the segment on the Today Show this morning? They actually took some of these frozen meals to an independent lab which found huge errors in the calories and fat that is advertised. When questioned about this, the company spokesperson said, it's an average and the FDA doesn't require us to be accurate.

So if you want to eat one of those frozen meals, go right ahead but buyer beware!!! You won't catch any of them in my house, sodium is way too high anyway. I would rather make a quick meal out of stir fry veggies and a protein or take a rotisserie chicken apart and put 4 oz in a tortilla wrap with some tomato and hummus any day rather than eating those frozen boxes.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    So I guess everyone on here who voted for 'yes" missed the segment on the Today Show this morning? They actually took some of these frozen meals to an independent lab which found huge errors in the calories and fat that is advertised. When questioned about this, the company spokesperson said, it's an average and the FDA doesn't require us to be accurate.

So if you want to eat one of those frozen meals, go right ahead but buyer beware!!! You won't catch any of them in my house, sodium is way too high anyway. I would rather make a quick meal out of stir fry veggies and a protein or take a rotisserie chicken apart and put 4 oz in a tortilla wrap with some tomato and hummus any day rather than eating those frozen boxes.

Yep, missed it like usual as I'm at work. However, even if they are wrong, its still healthier than fast food, right?

I generally estimate the cals in the meals I make at home too so its not much different for me.

And, for me, sodium isn't much of an issue.
  • MissyMorganFit
    Options
    XANNNTHIPPE........Am I reading this correctly? You have lost over 100lbs?! If so, how AWESOME are you!!! KEEP IT UP, girl!!!!