I lost 6 pounds in one week!?

Options
Hi everyone!

I lost 6 pounds this week, and am curious to know if that is good or bad.

I know it is good because well 6 pounds woohoo!

But I was reading some websites and they said anything over 2 pounds loss is just water and lean mass that is being lost.

But I am really overweight so to me it makes sense.

How much do you think is actually fat that I lost??

Also, I lost so much due to setting up a meal plan in the beginning of the week and followed it to a T.

Thanks!

Replies

• nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I've had weeks like that. Congratulations! Water or whatever, be happy it's gone. If you're overweight, it's easier to lose fast.

You may gain a little next week or slow down, but it will average out. Don't go too fast. Don't get discouraged. Keep logging.
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    A loss is still a loss. My first 2 weeks I lost 10lbs., and I lost a total of 17lbs. just in January. I've slowed down a lot since then (I'll be happy if I have a total loss of 5lbs. this month), but like I said, a loss is still a loss. Much of the initial loss is water, but there is fat loss in there too.
  • sue31didit
    Options
    If you;ve just started then that is normal, but remember, weight loss does slow down, so don't expect it every week x
  • heiditorres9
    Options
    Well done on your weight loss, it's a big amount what you lost but it's better losing than gaining.Keep up the good work :happy:
  • KatieHall77
    KatieHall77 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Ive had weeks like that too, i started off pretty heavy and am just now approaching my goal. some weeks are super slow too, of course. some weeks the scale doesnt budge. Personally i don't believe it would only be water weight or lean mass, there are lots of weird beliefs about weight loss. But if next week you don't go down much, don't beat yourself up. You will have ups and downs on weeks.
    Sounds like you have found a groove that works for you. Good luck on your journey!
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I lost 6 pounds this week, and am curious to know if that is good or bad.

I know it is good because well 6 pounds woohoo!

But I was reading some websites and they said anything over 2 pounds loss is just water and lean mass that is being lost.

But I am really overweight so to me it makes sense.

How much do you think is actually fat that I lost??

Also, I lost so much due to setting up a meal plan in the beginning of the week and followed it to a T.

Thanks!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far...well done you!

I crept your diary for the last week, and you have under eaten on some days, but I am not the food police, you make your own choices.

It would be hard to gauge how much fat/water/lean mass you lost.

As long as you eat at a deficit, try to keep within MFP guidelines, drink your fluids and add some exercise then you are good to go :smile:
  • kcaffee1
    kcaffee1 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Personal experience from several yo-yo failures says that when you first start to loose, no matter how heavy, or how much you have to loose, it will be much faster than later on. As I've never come close to a "reasonable" weight, except to go through it on the way up waaaaaay back when the trees were still saplings, I don't know how much it will slow down as you get closer to your body's ideal weight.

Congratulations on the first step, and as several others have said... don't be discouraged if things slow down either.
  • anifani4
    anifani4 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any simple way to determine whether that 6 pounds was water, fat, or muscle. Chances are mostly the first two. If you are active and moving around and eating your required calories of healthy food, then it's unlikely muscle got converted to energy. Probably the big amount in one week was because of the change in diet. I'll bet you cut back on breads, pasta, and salty stuff....all foods that can cause a temporary retention of water. Be happy and keep up the good work. remember food is fuel for your body to work at it's best.
  • Emmielia
    Emmielia Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the weight loss! Celebrate it :happy: even if it is water. A loss is a loss remember that whether its 6lb or 0.1lb!