Fat or Muscle?

Options
Hi friends,
I have recently started strength training and using the stairstepper almost daily. I do about 10 minutes of weights 2-3 times a week and do cardio 5-6 times per week, generally, around 5. I weighed myself about 2 weeks ago and I weighed in at 115 lbs. I weighed myself, again, yesterday, and I went up about 3 lbs. I have been eating more than normal, but I also am able to wear shorts that were saggy in my bottom now (I seriously think that is the stairmaster).
This put me at 117-120 lbs. verses my ideal 115 lbs. What are your thoughts on this? Fat or Muscle? Is there a way I can tell?

Replies

• sue31didit
    Options
    muscle is denser than fat, bit like feathers take up more room than concrete
    If you had a ton of concrete and a ton of feathers which weighs more?......they weigh the same BUT one is more compact and takes up less room than the other :)
  • jamaicanlady
    jamaicanlady Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Water weight probably. 3 lbs of muscle in 2 weeks is highly unlikely.
  • Kirijyma
    Kirijyma Posts: 35
    Options
    Prob just muscle which is a good thing. Don't go by the scales.
  • vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options

^^ water weight.
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options

This, I doubt you have gained muscle
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    To gain muscle you'd probably have to do the weights for more than 10 minutes a day. I'm guessing water weight.
  • RunningTowardsFit
    Options
    Could I have gained 5 lbs. in two weeks from just eating? Or is it likely water weight. I have been EATING so much more than normal but I just can't stop eating.
    Help?
  • Papojijo
    Papojijo Posts: 20
    Options
    It could be water. Or it could be fat.
    You say that you've been eating "so much more than normal" and "I just can't stop eating", which makes me lean towards the side of it being fat.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Very sorry to burst your bubble, but 10mins of weights 2to 3 times a week - it ain't muscle......
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Could I have gained 5 lbs. in two weeks from just eating? Or is it likely water weight. I have been EATING so much more than normal but I just can't stop eating.
    Help?

Yep - eating more than you are burning will cause an increase in weight......most prob a combination of water and eating too much...
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

^^ THIS^^ 3LBS of muscle doing 10 minutes of weights and some cardio? Unlikely. How's your sodium? Is there a monthly thing about to happen?
    With a closed diary, it's going to be hard for us to give you much advice.
  • MissFitee
    MissFitee Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    First off: If your measurements are going down even if your weight is going up, i wouldnt worry too much.

However, as mentioned, it takes time to gain muscle but if you never lifted anything heavy before you might gain some easy muscle right at the start. But it's most likely water weight. Especially if you weighed yourself within a day or 2 after heavy lifting. There has been days that I gained 1.5 - 2 kg from lifting(about 4 lbs).. but it faded within a day or so.