zahid222
zahid222 Posts: 233 Member
Can you gain 10 lbs in a 7 day cruise?

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Yes.
    It is mostly water weight and will come off after a few days of eating normally.
  • zahid222
    Options
    Thanks!
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    It would be a challenge. Your profile isn't viewable, but let's say your usual maintenance is 2,000 calories. When you're at sea, you might be fairly sedentary, but when you go on shore you'll be snorkeling, walking around, maybe climbing around the rainforest if you do one of those treetop adventures. So say, 4 days where you burn an extra 1,000 calories or so. That's 18,000 to maintain on the cruise, or an average of 2571 per day.

To gain 10 pounds in the course of a week, you'd have to overeat by 5,000 calories per day (3500 calories per pound X 10 =35000 divided by 7 days = 5000). So you would have to eat 7571 calories every single day, or upwards of 20% over your usual DAILY maintenance calories at every single MEAL.

Now, you might manage that on the day of the midnight buffet, but like I said, it would be a real challenge to do it every day.
  • TigressPat
    TigressPat Posts: 722
    Options
    not really.

for one thing, never weigh yourself at sea, the scales vary 8lbs in one direction or the other (someone explained this to me, but I forgot the scientific reason, just don't do it!)

two, if you did gain that much it's simply water weight from all the salt. give it a couple of weeks, it'll go away.
  • volleygirl1980
    volleygirl1980 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I did gain 10 pounds on a cruise (and I was working out on the ship - I ran 10K one morning!). I don't think I had ever, or have since, eaten like I did on that trip (my honeymoon)..at 2am I'd go to the pizzeria for one or two slices of pizza..after a giant dinner at 9pm which included 3 or 4 desserts!

Part of it was water weight, I think 3 or 4 pounds came off right away..

It was soooooo worth it:)
  • zahid222
    Options
    Thanks!
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I heard from a trainer on a cruise once that an average weight gain while on vacation is 1-2lbs per day, but it's mostly that all of the food is very full of sodium, so it's water weight and bloating (for the most part, at least). Basically, don't worry too much and stay hydrated :)
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    Can you give a bit more info on your question - are you just back from a cruise and the scales are showing a figure 10 above that when you left? Or are you about to go on a cruise? Or did your friend say this and you want to know if its true?
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Yes, especially if the toilets stop working.

Sorry! :-)

Seriously, depending on how you decide to cruise, I could see gaining 10Lbs. if you "really take advantage" of those amazing meals that you get a cruise, and decide to just lounge on deck instead of doing excursions.
  • williecruiser
    Options
    I have heard that, but I eat less when I travel. And I get so excited when I cruise I keep really busy. So no, I don't gain. Try taking the stairs instead of the elevators. And walk walk walk. Dance till dawn! Swim! Do it all.