Best advice about fitness and weight loss

Options
What is the best advice you've gotten about fitness or weight loss from reading, MFP, others, or your own journey?

Mine is probably to buy a digital kitchen scale and weigh everything. This helped me learn what 4 ounces really looks like, for example. I think I've also learned that when you fall off the wagon, get back up quickly. The same day if possible. The longer you wait, the more damage you do, physically and emotionally.

Looking forward to hearing your advice!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Never give up! Even if u have a binge day or week! Stick to it and you will accomplish your goals.
  • mammakisses
    mammakisses Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    Plan your meals and log them in before you eat. I do that every morning while having my coffee.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Just keep going. Planning is key. Make healthy choices. Don't be afraid to have a little bit of what you fancy every now and again. It will keep you going in the long run :)

Ax
  • ottermotorcycle
    ottermotorcycle Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    The healthiest thing for you to do is what makes you feel the best.

If you exercise regularly and eat clean food, you'll feel better: physically and mentally, I feel clear, calm and energized. And if you occasionally give in to "temptation" and eat "junk" but it makes you happy, then that was good for you too, that's what keeps you going and the moderation of it is what makes it enjoyable!

But if your diet is making you feel slow, tired, depressed, worn out or stressed... then you need to change something. That's not a lifestyle you want to keep up forever.
  • commandax
    commandax Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    You don't need to starve or deprive yourself to lose weight. You just need to find some kind of physical activity that you love to do, do it as hard as you can every day that you can, and keep an eye on your portion sizes.
  • sue31didit
    Options
    I always used to say I'LL START ON MONDAY and then by Wednesday I'd loose the plot, so I'd start AGAIN on Monday LOL now that was when younger, I'm 55 now, and learnt...........don't wait to start.......just start and keep going!!! fall off the routine a bit? get back on as soon as
  • lhourin
    lhourin Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    The main thing I used to always tell training clients: TRACK everything that goes in your mouth....just to give you an idea of your intake, if nothing else. That still holds true, but now I'd also add: Cut out processed foods, sugar, and most carbs/starches (NO cereal, bread, pasta, crackers, chips, etc...and absolutely NO juice or non-diet soft drinks, and no sweetened low-or-non-fat yogurt--many of which have about the same amount of sugar as a full-size Snickers bar.). Also, add fats, incuding eggs and coconut oil, olive oil, and milk/cheese, etc (if you like dairy).
    If you keep your insulin down, your body will not store as much fat, and will use fat for energy.
    Also, do HIIT workouts. No need to spend hours in the gym (and this is coming from a formal personal trainer). Do shorter, intense workouts for better results.
    That's all I've got! :)
  • lilmissbamaqueen
    Options
    What is the best advice you've gotten about fitness or weight loss from reading, MFP, others, or your own journey?

Mine is probably to buy a digital kitchen scale and weigh everything. This helped me learn what 4 ounces really looks like, for example. I think I've also learned that when you fall off the wagon, get back up quickly. The same day if possible. The longer you wait, the more damage you do, physically and emotionally.

Looking forward to hearing your advice!

That you don't have to starve to lose weight. When I started, I was eating around 1400 calories a day. I was hungry and cranky and had no energy. Then I found the In Place of a Road Map and Eat More 2 Weigh Less groups, and now I'm eating a little over 1700 calories, feel a lot better, and the weight is actually coming off.
  • grim_traveller
    grim_traveller Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Log everything. Everything.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Lift weights.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    1. food is fuel. It is not bad or good, it is just food. Eating too much of it will make you over weight, but unless you have an allergy, you do not need to cut anything out of your diet.
    2. strength train as soon as possible.
  • shred_me_up
    shred_me_up Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    be patient and be consistent.
  • Crazy4Healthy
    Crazy4Healthy Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint..... slow and steady wins the race.
  • dorothytd
    dorothytd Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    This is a marathon, not a sprint..... slow and steady wins the race.

I was just going to say that! People hate the word "journey," but it is an every day thing, for the rest of your life. There will be high days and low days and good exercise days, no exercise days. Do your best, get back on track after a setback and just keep going!
  • neilvv
    neilvv Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Make NO excuses! The only thing stopping you is YOU.
  • marand94608
    marand94608 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people who hated to drink water - so the best advice I got here early on was to get a special water bottle that would encourage me to drink those 8+ glasses a day. I got a pretty purple one that I love and refill often. As a consequence I drink a lot less diet soda now - not sure if that's related to my weight loss - but it does keep the grocery bills down.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    1. food is fuel. It is not bad or good, it is just food. Eating too much of it will make you over weight, but unless you have an allergy, you do not need to cut anything out of your diet.
    2. strength train as soon as possible.
    Agreed!

Mine -

1. Eat well and fuel your body - you don't have to starve or deprive yourself - after all, don't you want the changes to be permanent rather than temporary? Do it for life!
    2. Strength train and do some cardio - but don't go gonzo on the workouts. You don't have to spend hours at the gym or burn 1000 calories a day for good results
    3. Read this thread - best move I ever made was eating according to the info there: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912914-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • pienthesky32
    pienthesky32 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    In a word.......patience.
  • bigphatcat
    bigphatcat Posts: 7,843 Member
    Options
    1.)Eat at at a deficit and exercise....Period
    2.)Protein and Heavy things are your friends
  • sarahsue001
    sarahsue001 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I found it much easier to get my calorie intake under control first, then after you have that set work on fitness. It is really hard to cut calories and start burning more calories at the same time. Work on calories until you can do it easily or at least do it, then exercise and reward by using your net calories on this app.

Also, you won't want to count calories on "bad" days when you are eating way to much. Those are the days you have to count. If you go over, that is sometimes okay. It helps your body not to feel like it is starving. Just be sure to watch your weekly intake as well and don't let an occasional splurge to happen too often and derail your whole week.

I schedule my splurges. I want to eat more or go out sometimes which makes me go over calories some days. I want those calories to be for some restaurant I wanted to eat at, a special beer or wine dinner in my area, or a holiday. I don't want to splurge because I am having a bad day. Eating my sorrows away if how I got here in the first place. Use rewards, but reasonable rewards!