Wow!

Options
Hello...I was told about your site from a dear old friend and I'm so happy to have found something that FEELS easy!

I started yesterday, and had a bad day...so I choked and went to old habits. I REALLY messed up comfort eating, but for the first time...I allowed myself to learn instead of feeling shame. I never ACTUALLY realized that I could eat MORE than a whole days calories in one setting/meal!!! But now that I have a way to track and have it calculated for me...I see HOW I got this big and what I need to do to get back to the old me.

Just made a healthy choice for lunch to get back on the wagon instead of saying..."I screwed up--I'll binge till next monday and start over."

That's all...we're all here for similar reasons, so wishing everybody well!

Replies

• ErinGiam
    ErinGiam Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Welcome!! I never realized I could eat more than a whole days worth of calories in one sitting until I started logging my food. My husband and I used to eat at Chili's A LOT and I would get their chicken crispers which I soon found out had 1900 calories!!!! plus fries, ranch to dip them in and an appetizer!
    You are definitely going to learn a lot, and make many new friends that are going to motivate you. Everytime I feel like stuffing my face or just giving up I come on here and everything comes into perspective.

Good luck on your journey and if you need a friend, feel free to add me :smile:
  • butterfly25
    butterfly25 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    hi and welcome your going to lvoe it on here:flowerforyou:
  • absie107
    absie107 Posts: 290
    Options
    "Finish each day and be done with it. You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities have crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day; you will begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense." - Emerson

I completely stole that from someone's post on another website yesterday. Anyway, I look at that a lot... every day passes, all time passes, and all things that you experience... well, they've already happened once you do them, haven't they? And you can't go change what you DID, so you change every moment from now on, so that your lifestyle is completely changed. Stay positive, educate yourself as much as possible, and it will happen :)
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Great to have you on board...Yes I learned real quick as well that I can eat all my calories in 1 meal and I was at shock when I learned that...NO never feel ashamed...Keep your head up and hold yourself accountable...it gets easier and It makes you feel better as you reach those small goals such as decreasing your food intakes.....Keep up the good work and hang in there....i think you'll love this site...i know i joined amost a month ago and love it.
  • tkeller3
    tkeller3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's great that you picked yourself up and started again today. I've been trying not to even wait until the next day to start over. Like in the past if I messed up then I would spend the rest of the day binge eating. I definitely have an all or nothing mentality that I am trying to fight! It is so hard, hopefully it will get easier.
  • sorellabella
    sorellabella Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree this will really make you look at what you eat more closely. Good luck with your journey!
  • april522
    april522 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    Good for you! It's great that you picked yourself up and started again today. I've been trying not to even wait until the next day to start over. Like in the past if I messed up then I would spend the rest of the day binge eating. I definitely have an all or nothing mentality that I am trying to fight! It is so hard, hopefully it will get easier.
    This is also my problem. I've always thought, "Well, I ate like crap for lunch today, why not have that piece of cake or cream cheese danish later?" I seriously have to stop that mentality and correct any "slip-ups" immediately.
  • caseybreunig
    caseybreunig Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I too struggle with the all or nothing attitude. BUT...I discovered that I am "bad" for a meal (or a day), I still need to track it here. Because sometimes I surprise myself that my being "bad" wasn't really THAT bad - and I feel less guilty and then eat better! It's all cause and effect!
  • farr2fun
    farr2fun Posts: 15
    Options
    Welcome! I also encourage you since you're just starting to remember that while you're figuring out what works for you, just try cutting out some calories each meal. That way it's not overwhelming. For example, the meal at Chili's that you mentioned. If you ordered that same meal, but left off the fries and/or ranch dressing, you would be saving a bunch of calories. and will see results quickly. Sometimes we set ourselves up to fail by making big changes too soon. Think of it like exercise. If you were to start walking for your health, you wouldn't try to walk 10k's the first day. You'd build up to that. The food and exercise diary on this site are so helpful. Anxious to hear how you're doing.
  • miqisha
    miqisha Posts: 1,534 Member
    Options
    Welcome and goodluck......the key is to check the calories before your start eating....try and log your entire day, so you know where your calories are...If you log at the end of the day then its too late.....If you check the calories after you eat each meal, then its too late.....I try to always check first

Obviously sometimes that wont be possible, or you just mess up....like me this past weekend...had a TGI Fridays chocolate peanut butter pie....ate it and checked after and it was 800 calories....and I hadnt even eaten lunch as yet

You can do this

In the pass if I messed up I would always start over the following morning...so I know what you mean.....If you mess up, just get back on the wagon the next day....because believe me, there will be some bad days

Goodluck on your journey
  • Unicornlover
    Unicornlover Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hi! You have totally come to the right place! I joined last month and aside from mfp being THE BEST site ever, I have found the most encouraging, supportive, knowledgeable, and inspiring people ever!

Good luck on your weight loss journey! :flowerforyou:
  • sunshine79
    sunshine79 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    Well done for developing a new positive attitude about it. For me, logging it and seeing it on the screen was a huge wake up call to the point that even when I do begin to binge I know the calorific value of what I'm consuming which helps me to stop eating as much as I used to. Each day is a step closer to achieving your goal, tiny steps contribute towards your goal and before you know it you are no longer 'dieting' but have chaged your lifestyle. Keep it up