what was your turning point?

Options
What was the point when you decided enough was enough? I know so many people that have gone back and forth with diet and exercise so I'm curious- did anything change that made it "stick" with you?

Replies

• Katetw
    Katetw Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    for the first part--I had been getting heavier and heavier over time, and I knew it. I went up a pant size and a bra size, which was really frustrating, but it just made me depressed so in turn I ate more and more.

It was finally a visit to my doctor telling me I really need to lose weight since I am in the obese category...and then I got my cholesterol test results back and they were terrible. I needed to do something.

Will it stick--I sure hope so--last time I did this it didn't (obviously). This time, I signed up with stickk so my money is riding on this, with an "anti-donation" to a group I abhor. So I have to stay with it both for myself and to not give that money to that group.
  • khayashi80
    khayashi80 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    My turning point that really made me go for the goal was when I couldn't walk a block without excruciating back pain. I was a size 28+, over 300lbs, couldn't look at myself in the mirror, and had a hard time with hygiene. I realized that with my inability to walk, I was just a few lbs away from having to be in a scooter, needing help to care fro myself and being even larger.

A friend of mine lost weight and patiently let me ask about a million questions. I realized if she could do it, so could I and it was time. I'm down 159.5lbs and still going. I won't lie, sometimes I cheat, but I love the way I feel now and how I can move. I'm never going back. Good luck! You will do great!
  • neilmcd1
    neilmcd1 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    For me, it was when I watched a video of myself giving a best man speech at a wedding. I couldn't believe how big I looked, so the diet and exercise started the same day.
  • Msladen
    Msladen Posts: 1
    Options
    when i saw a picture of myself and my friends at the beach. i never realized how big i actually was until that picture was posted on facebook. i was 5 ft, 150 lbs wearing a bikini (i carry my weight in my gut) not knowing that there was nothing more unflattering. i was in such denial. The comments on that photo told me it was time to make a change and stick to it.
  • jennmodugno
    jennmodugno Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I stopped letting one single mistake derail me. So I caved and had a cookie early in the day? That's no excuse to stop for the whole day! Had a bad day yesterday? Just get back on track and don't let it spoil your week! As soon as I stopped thinking long-term and took it a day at a time, it didn't seem so hard. I really wanted to lose weight and be the me I used to be, but I'd been letting silly small mistakes - usually that weren't nearly as bad as I thought they were! - stop me from trying. Once I changed my perspective, I knew there would be no turning back, no matter how many days in a row I was weak enough to do something I shouldn't. Sooner or later, I WILL be fit!
  • chooselove
    chooselove Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    i had always been active but never in super good 'bikini' shape.

Two major things happened in my life that changed everything!
    One, i started a job that required a lot of manual labor. I wanted to exercise to decrease my risk of job-related injuries and I found it helped me 'work out the kinks' at the end of the day.

Two, i ended up with this guy who i've been with for three years. i felt insanely competitive to be the sexiest woman he's ever seen (He always said i was, but i wanted to FEEL it.)
    i was tired of comparing myself to other women. I never wanted to do it again. I wanted to feel sexy.

I reminded myself of these two things during workouts..it worked. i shed 45 pounds.
  • Gr8ChangesAhead
    Gr8ChangesAhead Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    My physician informed Me I would have to start insulin to control my diabetes. Here I am a year later and my blood work is awesome and now diet controlled no medications needed to control my blood sugars :happy:
  • ChristinaR720
    ChristinaR720 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Having my husband's grandma tell me that I looked pregnant (I wasn't), and having my hair stylist ask me "Which one?" when I asked him to cut my hair in layers starting at my chin. Also, looking ginormous in my family's holiday photos pretty much sucked, too.

Those kickers pretty much did the trick!
  • Purplebunnysarah
    Purplebunnysarah Posts: 3,252 Member
    Options
    Stepping on the scale and realizing that my son is almost a year old and I'm heavier now than I was when he was 2 weeks old. Time for a change! I miss how fantastic I felt right before getting pregnant, as I was down 46 lbs as of the day before the positive pg test. I've got 4 months to lose about 25 lbs to fit back into my old summer clothes! And then keep going from there.
  • lightdiva1
    lightdiva1 Posts: 935 Member
    Options
    No longer having a lap. The belly took up space in my lap... it has sense been given an eviction notice and has started moving out.
  • NZRose7
    NZRose7 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was going for a walk and I tripped and started to fall over and I was unable to bring my leg forward quickly enough to stop me which I normally could have done without extra weight. It was such a horrible feeling that I vowed i would lose weight and never get this big again (which happened cause I went through 2 pregnancies pretty much back to back.. and my pregnancies are always mega complicated so couldn't really help but gain). I'm now 20kgs down. Still have along way to go..
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    i've been wanting to lose weight for a long time, i just didn't know how to go about it,
  • kayleepie
    kayleepie Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I put on over 20kg (45lbs) in 18 months since moving out of home, I was already quite overweight before this too. I had stretch mrks on my stomach. I could barely fit into my work uniform anymore and was too embarrassed to have to order a new one in a bigger size, and I could no longer fit into any clothes that weren't plus sized or super stretchy. One day I just decided that was enough. 15kg down now and feeling awesome! :)
  • cjcmrn
    cjcmrn Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    for me it was going to the doctor's office and being told that I was pre-diabetic, just after my aunt was diagnosed with diabetes, so decided that it was still in my hands so 'lifestyle' change started. Also finding out that your 'fluffy' dad is smaller than you... that really sucked! and the fact that I was the 'fat' friend!
  • jst1986
    jst1986 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Finding out I was gonna be a dad, I don't wanna be a fat uncool dad!
  • ThisGirl2013
    ThisGirl2013 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It started, in my head, really - when I saw a pic of myself decorating for my sister's baby shower party. My belly was gross and I didn't realize how bad I looked. I just finally turned that in to a physical effort. I did some research on nutrition, exercise and applied it.
  • Liftnlove
    Liftnlove Posts: 235
    Options
    A friend's Facebook post. I don't remember it exactly but it was something like this...(it wasn't directed at me, but it hit home)

You are not an island. Your choices about your health affect everyone around you. Your children will be the ones taking care of you and worrying about you when you are sick with diabetes and heart disease because of your poor choices. Exercising, taking care of your body, and taking time for yourself is NOT selfish. Your health is a gift to your friends and family, and you are the only one who can give it.

For whatever reason, that post hit me hard. I couldn't even walk up my stairs without getting winded, and I was having trouble with high blood pressure at age 35. I realized I had been using my children as excuses to not take care of myself...I felt like I was being selfish if I took time away from them. But this post made me realize that I was actually being selfish by depriving them of a healthy, energetic mom. From that day on, I stopped making excuses, and started working. I don't plan to ever stop. :)