I'm excited about something...

Options
aippolito1
aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
Last night, I was brushing my teeth and washing my face (simultaneously :tongue:) and my boyfriend asked me if I normally work out on Sundays. I told him usually, it just depends. He said, "I want to start working out. We should start working out together on Sundays. Make it our thing. I can do my perfect push ups and you can make me a protein shake. Your protein shakes are so good, babe..." I almost hit the floor. He keeps saying, "I need to eat healthier", "I want to start working out", etc. but this time...I don't know... it sounds like he kinda means it. I really hope he does 'cause I think it would be a great bonding experience for us and I think he'd start to see that he can work out without stopping after 5 weeks because he's "plateaued" and has abs in 2 weeks from doing crunches. Yada yada. Stop yammering on and just do it. It's GOOD for you.

I'm so sick of hearing him tell me what he ate for the day. McDonald's for lunch, Taco Bell for dinner. No breakfast, no snacks. Hardly any water, just the soda at mealtime, then he comes home from work and eats a WHOLE bag of Kroger brand Doritos and has a couple beers.

Both his parents died in their mid-50s and I just want him to be healthy. Is that so much to ask for? Anyway. I AM excited and am just hopeful that this actually happens. I will make him work out with me.

Replies

• jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Yay!!! Having a family that not only supports you, but JOINS you is amazing incentive to continue.

I have slowly assimilated my family and turned them all into runners (even my boys -- my 10 year old just ran a 2-mile trail race in 15:25 last night!! In the rain! Hardcore!!). The next task on my to-do list is make over my picky 2-year-olds meal plan.

Way to be an inspiration not by nagging, but by doing. And oh hey, 3 more lbs until your highlights.... awesommmmmme.
  • aippolito1
    Options
    I actually just got my highlights 2 days ago! I got tired of waiting and I know I've definitely worked hard, despite my 1 month plateau and not losing WEIGHT this last month (though can tell I've lost inches) so I just did them. :)
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    That is AWESOME! I hope he sticks to it! Just keep encouraging him. I'm waiting for my husband to come to me with this conversation. :) Enjoy it!! :)
  • ShastaAngel
    Options
    I can totally relate to that excitement! My husband has always been overweight, and does nothing about it. I pack him a healthy lunch for work, then when I look at the bank statement I see Burger King, McDonalds, Jack in the Box etc etc.This week he has started going for a walk with the dogs and I after dinner. It's a baby step... but feels HUGE to me!!!
  • Jamiebee24
    Jamiebee24 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    So my hubby is gone---deployed for 7months---but we are both working out while he is gone. It's giving me the extra push and motivation to get through this time with out him. I look at it as he's gone, working out hard, so I should too! It's really motivating!! Although, he's trying to gain 30 pounds (what a meathead!!) and I'm trying to loose 30 pounds---we're still in the gym reaching our goals!
  • renae5
    renae5 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    The kids and I bought my husband a new bike for Father's Day... at first he has little sarcastic things to say like "Whoa, should I take that as a hint", or "guess you'll be putting me on a diet now"... I just kept insisting that I though t it would just be nice for him to be able to join me and the kids when we take little rides together in the evening, something we could do together as a family. Well, fastforward about a week, as soon as I have gotten the table cleared after dinner each evening HE is the one asking, "we going for a ride tonight??" like an excited little boy, he has only missed one day of riding since we started (he is a commercial fisherman so he works Very hard out in the heat, manual labor, all day 6-7 days a week... he used to LOVe his recliner when he finally made it home) and I really don't know if he's lost a single pound, but he is so much happier to be around and in just a week is blood pressure has dropped considerably ( from like 140/122 to 120/88) I am not even sure if it is from the exercise or the stress relief at the end of hte day.... I only know that it is like a dream come true!!
    If your boyfriend does decide to start working out with you... take full advantage and be as supportive as you can, it is Wonderful to be able to share together!!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    Thanks, everybody! I love all y'alls stories! He's thin and always has been. I gained 30 lbs in 3 months and in 9 months, he gained like, 5. So, he doesn't need to lose weight, just get healthy, and that's all I want for him. He was shocked when we got together and I didn't try to get him to stop smoking... and I honestly think that's the best approach. I don't want to be the nagging girlfriend who MAKES him quit (he hasn't yet but it's his choice) or who MAKES him work out or eat healthy. He knows when he comes home and we eat dinner, it will be healthy...and he also knows it will be delicious because this girl can cook. He doesn't complain because of that, but he also loves his snacks and his junk food. That's fine but honestly, I just want him to eat home more and save some money. Why spend $3 on something that's HORRIBLY bad for you and will NOT keep you full when you can eat something already in the fridge?

I'm trying to lead by example and I know he sees a difference in my body and the way I feel now versus when I was close to 20 lbs heavier and when I wasn't working out and was pigging out on the couch with him late at night, so he's got to see that could be him.

For awhile, I made him sandwiches and would send him with 2 small bags of chips for his lunch. He ate this way for a good 2 or 3 weeks and he even told me...on a day that he would forget his lunch and eat fast food, he would feel like SUCH crap, and the next day, he'd have his sandwich & chips and feel great! He knows he has more energy and is less tired when he eats better... I just hope it CLICKS 100% with him soon.
  • Hotabs
    Hotabs Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Help

Am starting to get worried. My weigh in was Monday am I havent lost any week this week. Lost half and inch of hips and waist so that good but maybe I should increase my training.
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    That’s great! :bigsmile: :smile: My husband comes with me when I walk/jog. He’s never had a problem with his weight (he’s actually a little underweight):grumble:, but has a family history of heart disease and diabetes. It’s really nice to walk with him – it gives us time to just be together and talk without all the interruptions of life that we have in the house. He’s the one who gave me the courage and motivation to start jogging.
  • Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    He probably just needed the boost from you and your weight loss. My boyfriend saw how much weight I was losing and started asking me how many calories he would need a day...exercise...etc. etc. We always worked out together a little bit but NEVER watched our portion sizes.

Now we have a scale and weigh in every couple of days. It's kinda like a game. He's like, "hey babe I hit a new low today ! woo hoo!" and I just smile and am glad to see him working so hard.

Honestly just lead by example, and you seem to be rubbing off on him. My boyfriend might NEVER eat healthy completely, but with him watching his weight he's become more aware of all the calories in the snacks he used to eat.

Does your bf like fruit? We have completely removed the 100 calorie snack packs and other junk from our house. He now eats a lot of apples, blackberries, strawberries, bananas, and pineapple. I prepare a big bowl for us on some nights and make it look nice. He likes it better than the chex mix and doritos we used to keep in the house.
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    That is great news!
  • aippolito1
    Options
    Yeah, I think his brother is going to join MFP! He wants to gain weight and gain muscle so he looked up something that said he has to eat 2000 calories and was asking me what I eat that's healthy and how to cook it, etc. And now our new roommate was like "I'm going to go grocery shopping and want you to show me how to cook this stuff!" I thought it was awesome. All the boys are being inspired by ME, HA!!!

Um...I'm not really sure. I've gotten him to eat bananas a little bit lately if I only eat 1/2 and am going somewhere I can't bring it or don't want to finish it, I'll give him the rest. He'll eat it if there are no bruises, lol. And now he's started eating the roommates string cheese - that's a step in the right direction, huh? For awhile, he was drinking a lot of water but has kinda quit that now.

Oh! I got him to eat blueberries on our picnic a couple months ago. He doesn't have much of a sweet tooth, he mainly likes salty things, hence the Doritos vs. fruit. Although, when I get a craving for ice cream, we've been hitting up the frozen yogurt place and he loves it 'cause he can throw a bunch of candy on top - lol.
  • kwallen90
    kwallen90 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    So happy for you!!! My husband and I started working out together about 2 1/2 months ago and I must admit it's the best thing that has happened to both of us!! We've always been close and each other's best friend, but since we've been working out it's been great. We motivate each other in and out of the gym and this process is so much easier having him there with me. Congrats to you and I hope he sticks to it because it's such a great feeling to have the ones you love making positive life changes with you! Here's to you and him! :drinker: <
    (that's a calorie-free drink!)
  • lisaosumarie
    Options
    That is AWESOME! Good for you guys! I got my boyfriend to join this site after he saw me using it and we both joined the gym this week together and had a few *dates* there if that is what you want to call it, haha. It is a wonderful bonding time!
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    That's really great news! You definitely took the right approach leading by example. It's a good sign that he recognizes how bad food makes him feel & acknowledges that he should work out to be healthy.

My hubby is completely on board with me & I'm so grateful... and so lucky. Best of luck to you both hon.