4 months worth of success!

Options
In February 2010, I sought out professional help for my eating disorder and weight loss goals.

I have been working with a nutrition coach to guide me on the correct ways to eat for someone like me, and it has been so helpful. I used to never eat breakfast, just several cups of coffee to "fill me up", I'd eat minimal throughout the day and then I'd binge every night and continue to eat until I ate myself to sleep. Even when I was "dieting", I'd save up all my calories or points or whatever and then eat them all at once at night. And the things I chose to eat were horrible for me. The more sugar I could cram into my mouth at that time, the better I thought I felt. I got so used to the feeling of being stuffed when I went to sleep, that those days I wasn't completely stuffed I'd have a hard time falling asleep and I'd get up and eat more until I had that desired sensation and would be able to fall asleep. The first month on the new eating plan was the worst. I never thought the desire to binge would go away. It may never completely go away, but with the new way I'm eating, the desires have subsided considerably, and when they do come up, I have the skills to tackle them in a positive manner. I don't think I ever learned how to eat like a "normal" person. I never thought my body could feel so good. Since I've been eating healthy foods only I feel amazing. My body feels "lighter" (and not just from the weight loss), I have so much more energy, I don't constantly feel lethargic, I'm not having overwhelming cravings for sweet and salty all the time. I have been able to reprogram my mind to think about food as fuel and not just food. If food is just food, then I'll eat anything and everything. If I only eat fuel to give my body energy, then I have to fill my tank with the right gasoline. You can't put oil in the gas tank. And when I do eat too much fuel or eat too many of the "bad" foods, my body really does know the difference now. It protests and gets angry when I don't feed it right. I can't imagine anymore that that is how I used to feel every day all the time. I didn't know it could be different and now that I've experienced how my body can really feel, I never want it to go away. I never ate healthy for an extended period of time in my life. Even when I was limiting calorie intake or carb intake or whatever, I was still eating unhealthy foods, just less of them.

I have also been working with a personal trainer who I see 3X a week for strength training. I go to a company that specializes in this type of thing and it is much more private than seeing a trainer at a gym. We have our own little room to work out in so no one is watching me. I go 10 min b4 my session to warm up on the cardio machine (my fave is the eliptical), then the trainer stretches me out for 5-10 min and then we do strength training for about 35 minutes. After the strength training is over I am to do a minimum of 20 min back on the eliptical (or another cardio machine of my choice). The trainer has me do lower body one day, upper body the next and then full body the 3rd day. Abs get done every day. Each 4 weeks the program gets switched up. I just started my 5th 4 week program yesterday. And then I have to do cardio 2-3X (preferably 3) on my own per week.

I'm about 2/3 of the way done with the package I purchased from this company and unfortunately I already gave them my life's savings so I can't continue with them, so the support of my MFP friends will be crucial when I'm on my own. Even though I'm broke, it was well worth it. I've been at my wit's end with my weight for some time and I really did need to seek professional help. A lot of people recommended the surgeries for weight loss, but after interviewing a bunch of people I decided that the only thing appealing about it was the weight loss. The recovery sounded horrible, it would have still costed me $3,000 for the procedure and 6 weeks + off work. It also would not cure my bad habits. To those that have had the surgery and have had success, I think that is wonderful and I'm so very happy for you. By no means am I trying to knock it. It just wasn't for me.

Now, on to my statistics. When I started with the trainer in February, they gave me an assessment to see where my fitness level was. They "tested" me on lots of different things including heart rate, blood pressure, flexibility, overall upper and lower body strength, they do weight, height and measurements, they also do what is called a pinch test. They basically measured my fat rolls to get a more accurate result for my percent body fat. On a side note, I did not realize that fat got hard after so long. So the fat I've had for a long long time actually became hard and it is difficult to tell what is fat and what is muscle when it gets like that. Ever meet an older guy with a large beer belly, but it is hard and not squishy? New fat is squishy, old fat gets harder. After 8 weeks, they did the assessment again and then after the 2nd 8-week block (which was just on Monday of this week), they did it again. I wanted to share my results with you and compare the very first assessment with the most recent. Here are some of the highlights:

4 months ago, I was in the 11th percentile for my age group which was well below average and now I'm in the 40th percentile which believe it or not is AVERAGE! Yeah, overall my fitness level for my age group is average! Even though I still weigh almost 300lbs. I think that is amazing. This shows me that my body really is healthy except for the excess weight. And gives me great hope for carrying a child in the future.

4 months ago, my weight was 313, now it is 288
that's 25lbs! and about 8% of my weight. (Not as much as I would have liked or felt I deserve for the amount of effort I'm putting in, but it is what it is.)

4 months ago, my resting heart rate was 86, and now it is only 69! That used to be the 8th percentile and is now the 55th percentile and went from well below average to average also.

They have me do a 3 minute step test to check my cardiovascular capacity, and this has improved beyond my expectations. They have me go up and down on a tall step for 3 min to get my heart rate up and then check my heart rate after one minute to see how well I can recover from the activity. 4 months ago, after one minute my heart rate was still 133 beats per minute which was well below average and in the 18th percentile. Now after a minute, it was only 98 bpm and now is above average and I'm in the 74th percentile!

My lower body strength has gone from the 11th percentile which was well below average to the 86th percentile which is well above average. This statistic was especially exciting. Must be all that walking!

And here are the measurements. In four months, I've lost:
0.75 inches from neck
2.5 inches from shoulders
2 inches from chest
5 inches from waist
2.75 inches from hip
My waist to hip ratio has gone from 0.89 to 0.84
1.75 inches from thigh
0.5 inches from calf
1.25 inches from arm
0.25 inches from forearm

A grand total of 16.5 inches!

I feel good, really good. I love that I have energy to do my daily chores and not every little task seems so strenuous anymore.

Replies

• neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    that is fantasic! keep up the good work! it just keeps gettng better! :drinker: :flowerforyou: :bigsmile:
  • Schula03
    Schula03 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Awesome!!! Good for you, you are doing fantastic!:happy:
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    That is so great to hear, good for you for making that life change!!! Keep up the good work! Please feel free to add me as a friend on here, I have been at this for just about a month now and am very motivated but need others to keep me going and find this site awesome for that!
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    Good job just continue to use the lessons you learned you may have to tweek them because you are out of the controlled environment but you still can do it
  • Positively_Me
    Positively_Me Posts: 1,500 Member
    Options
    Fantastic test results..keep doing what you're doing. Good Luck!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Congratulation Diane!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: I am so proud of you! This is wonderful news. 25 pounds is great and 16 plus inches! I know you feel great and are looking good to. You are already a pretty lady. I forgot your age but you are young and I am so happy for you! Keep up the good work! :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile:

You are right, it was worth every dime to pay for trainer! If I could afford it I would have a trainer myself. I had a trainer 2 times and both times worth every nickel and some. I use trainer packages as gifts to myself when I reach my weight loss goals.

And don’t apologize to WLS patients. We all have to do what works for us. WLS is not the answer for everyone indeed. For me I don’t care how you lose weight I know it is a constant struggle and like you said it will never stop. I know this now and have settled into I will always have to be mindful of my daily decisions and how they affect my life and weight.

I enjoyed reading your post! Keep us posted and we are here for you. The reason I am here is because I could not afford other programs right now and I see it is a wonderful support system at MFP. You are doing it girl!! Keep it up!!! Congratulations again! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • tkeller3
    tkeller3 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Wow! Keep it up, you are doing great!
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    Hon, I am SO PROUD of you!! For being open and honest in sharing what's working for you. It no doubt will help so many of us on our journeys to keep in mind how it's 'fueling' our bodies that we want to be doing, not simply putting food in them. The day I realized that it changed my life and my eating habits as well, like you shared, we don't want oil in our gas tank. I'm so happy for you that you too now understand how important fueling is to our bodies, it makes all the difference doesn't it?

I think every single dime you spent was well worth it, you now have a excellent foundation for an solid workout to step out on your own and continue your journey. I know it can be scary, but I believe in you and I know you can do it!:heart:

I know you can do it Diane, because you already ARE doing it!:wink::drinker: :flowerforyou:
    So very proud of you Sweetie:flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: :heart: :flowerforyou: {{{{{{{Diane}}}}}}

Love ya Girl,
    Becca:flowerforyou:
  • selbyhutch
    selbyhutch Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Nice job!! Fabulous job on the measurements too. I'm so glad I took measurements... even though I've lost weight the last 2 months, the decrease in measurements was the true validation.
  • kerrymh
    kerrymh Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are on the right track!!!
    Congrats.
    I have had the surgery (lapband) but I know I would be very disappointed if I wasn't also going to OA and dealing with my reasons for eating and addiction to food. Both are working for me.
    And do not be upset that its not coming off as fast as you want sounds like you are really making a lifestyle change which means its only a matter of time and it will come off.
    Once again CONGRATS!
    ps I'm jealous of your resting heart rate thats a BIG accomplishment in my books not sure if mine has changed much and I'v lost a whole person lol so far.
  • shmilla
    shmilla Posts: 19
    Options
    I am really proud of you! And good for you to see that you needed to figure out what is at the root of your eating. This is awesome. I will friend you and I will try to keep encouraging and motivating you!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!