Binge setbacks

Options
I'm sure this post has been around, but here it is again. :b

Do you know how much a binge can set you back? If you eat healthy all week, then eat way over your caloric limit in a day, does that essentially counter the weight/fat loss that would've begun to happen from the good week?

I've been doing really well on eating healthier and removing temptations lately and whatnot, but broke down and had a bit of a binge today. Fortunately, since eating healthier, when I do break down, I get fuller faster than before. But I want to know if my binge sets me back a whole lot than if I had been healthy today.

Input would be greatly appreciated. :]

Also annoyed because now I feel kinda sick, ugh. And not up to working out.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,058 Member
    Options
    Track it all.

Then you'll know. Binges may or may not set you back. Depends on the calories consumed and the frequency.
  • Dulcemami4ever
    Dulcemami4ever Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I diet all week and have 1 set cheat meal on fridays. It doesn't effect me at all. In fact, I think it helps my metabolism speed up.
  • casi_ann
    casi_ann Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    It partly depends on what you mean by a binge.
  • tjl2329
    tjl2329 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Same for me. I just remember it takes 3500 calories to gain a lb. That said I always try to do eat extremely well after that. I did binge other day. Not really a binge as eating what I wanted. Had a huge salad. Brownie a little Chili with some bread and muffin. A little pasta and little ice cream. About 1/4 cup of each. Not much compared to how i use to eat. But now too much to be healthy and definately felt sick. I then went shopping so I could walk some. Went about 300 Cal. Over. Not eating all day and then going to a buffet is a bad idea. I have to watch cabs and sugar. But yesterday and today trying hard to only eat healthy. I just need to enjoy things in moderation. Don't worry just do better next time
  • Cheri_Moves
    Cheri_Moves Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I am experiencing this right now. Im following a high lean protein diet, rich in green veggies and limiting carbs... It is tough because I had been eating at maintenance for at least 8 months.

I know its mostly because of TOM, but Ive had a couple binges in the last week and my super awesome 7 pound loss from my 1 year plateau changed to 3 pounds.

I know it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, but when you binge after following a healthy (lower sodium) diet you will pack on the water weight like nobody's business.
  • cdswicky
    cdswicky Posts: 43
    Options
    The most important thing to acknowledge at this point, is how yucy you feel right now. This feeling will help remind you during the next time of temptation, because let's face it, there will be a next time. I'm constantly struggling with NOT binge eating at night. MFP makes me look in black and white at the proof. On the days that I don't eat regularly througout the day, I can almost guarantee myself that it's going to be a binge night. We just have to stay steady the course.

I'm sorry you feel sick to your stomach now. I know how that feels.

Try and get a good night's rest and tomorrow is a clean slate.
    :wink:
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    I am experiencing this right now. Im following a high lean protein diet, rich in green veggies and limiting carbs... It is tough because I had been eating at maintenance for at least 8 months.

I know its mostly because of TOM, but Ive had a couple binges in the last week and my super awesome 7 pound loss from my 1 year plateau changed to 3 pounds.

I know it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, but when you binge after following a healthy (lower sodium) diet you will pack on the water weight like nobody's business.
    That is so true! Thank you for mentioning the water weight thing. I always forget about that, then get super discouraged when I seemingly gain a few pounds in one day. D:
  • seanezekiel
    seanezekiel Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Same thing happens to me. Water weight will take me 2-3 days to get rid of. When I binge all my favorite foods sadly as very high in salt.
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    The most important thing to acknowledge at this point, is how yucy you feel right now. This feeling will help remind you during the next time of temptation, because let's face it, there will be a next time. I'm constantly struggling with NOT binge eating at night. MFP makes me look in black and white at the proof. On the days that I don't eat regularly througout the day, I can almost guarantee myself that it's going to be a binge night. We just have to stay steady the course.

I'm sorry you feel sick to your stomach now. I know how that feels.

Try and get a good night's rest and tomorrow is a clean slate.
    :wink:
    Thank you for the encouraging reply, I really appreciate it. :] I shall look forward!
  • theseus82
    theseus82 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said, but will add a few thoughts.

We all will have more "off program" days to come. On vacation, during the holidays, the occasional night out, etc.

A healthy relationship with food does not mean that we never screw up our program. I have fought the urge to binge and overeat, or just plain run out for a box of Whoppers or sweets just because it feels like that kind of day. These temptations will come, and sometimes we might give in to them.

To answer your question, I have found that a single day *way* off program can screw up an entire week of good behavior. But binging for me meant running out and getting a box of frosted cookies and Reese's peanut butter pieces. Eat enough calories, and you can screw up a whole week of good behavior. If your body is in starvation mode because of a couple weeks of good behavior and weightloss, if you flood your system with refined sugar, your body is primed for weight-gain. A lot of short-term gain can be quickly lost (as people have noted correctly that it takes 3,500 surplus calories to add a pound of fat). The problem is, if you don't correct the behavior and shed that short-term weight-gain, then the weight will stay on and consolidate itself until it is simply, *the* weight.

I watched a movie a week ago that gave me some insight into how these temptations can be resisted a little better. "Hungry for Change" is available on Netflix instant watch and is a decent documentary on nutrition. Keep in mind, that the second half of the film is not universally accepted. The first-half is solid and talks about the food industry and health. The second half gets on a tangent and drinks the "juicing diet" koolaid. But the point I want to bring up from the film is this:

Instead of telling yourself that you "can't" have something because of your diet regimen, tell yourself that you "*can* have it, but that you don't *want* it." This works better than focusing on what you can't have. I have been dealing with my temptations for sugar and carbs a lot better when I remind myself that I am free to have these things, but that I don't really want them. And I am facing temptation when I stop at a gas station and see a peanut butter krispy bar, or at the movie theatre when my girlfriend gets popcorn with butter.

If and when you do screw up and give into temptation, just accept it for what it is and get back on track the next day. If you have a bad week on program, start over and get back on track the next week. The most important part of your journey is that you don't give up. If you persist in making life-style changes and don't abandon your effort to become healthier, you *will* succeed. I have had countless setbacks since I started on WeightWatchers in 2006. But overall I am still happy with my progress so far.

I have managed to lose and keep off at least 90 pounds from my highest weight. I may not have lost everything I wanted to in 2 years (as some have). But I have learned a lot and improved a lot of my habits for the long-term. Your health is about more than a number on the scale. Living a healthy lifestyle will make you feel better and more confident. But holidays and vacations will always be a challenge. Don't get hung up over the occasional screwup. It happens. As long as you don't quit, you will continue to make progress!

Good luck!
  • Elicur
    Elicur Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    My Mom would always have a cheat day, and lose a ton of weight.. Me, if I cheated, I would gain no matter what. That's about as much on cheating as I know.. :/
  • tbetts23
    tbetts23 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I messed up by about 1000 calories last night. I could look at it as four days wasted (being at a 250 calorie deficit a day) but I jumped on the elliptical this morning and I will again tomorrow! Hopefully I can correct any damage done. I have set myself up for a half pound a week but usually do better even when I mess up!
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    I agree with what has already been said, but will add a few thoughts.

We all will have more "off program" days to come. On vacation, during the holidays, the occasional night out, etc.

A healthy relationship with food does not mean that we never screw up our program. I have fought the urge to binge and overeat, or just plain run out for a box of Whoppers or sweets just because it feels like that kind of day. These temptations will come, and sometimes we might give in to them.

To answer your question, I have found that a single day *way* off program can screw up an entire week of good behavior. But binging for me meant running out and getting a box of frosted cookies and Reese's peanut butter pieces. Eat enough calories, and you can screw up a whole week of good behavior. If your body is in starvation mode because of a couple weeks of good behavior and weightloss, if you flood your system with refined sugar, your body is primed for weight-gain. A lot of short-term gain can be quickly lost (as people have noted correctly that it takes 3,500 surplus calories to add a pound of fat). The problem is, if you don't correct the behavior and shed that short-term weight-gain, then the weight will stay on and consolidate itself until it is simply, *the* weight.

I watched a movie a week ago that gave me some insight into how these temptations can be resisted a little better. "Hungry for Change" is available on Netflix instant watch and is a decent documentary on nutrition. Keep in mind, that the second half of the film is not universally accepted. The first-half is solid and talks about the food industry and health. The second half gets on a tangent and drinks the "juicing diet" koolaid. But the point I want to bring up from the film is this:

Instead of telling yourself that you "can't" have something because of your diet regimen, tell yourself that you "*can* have it, but that you don't *want* it." This works better than focusing on what you can't have. I have been dealing with my temptations for sugar and carbs a lot better when I remind myself that I am free to have these things, but that I don't really want them. And I am facing temptation when I stop at a gas station and see a peanut butter krispy bar, or at the movie theatre when my girlfriend gets popcorn with butter.

If and when you do screw up and give into temptation, just accept it for what it is and get back on track the next day. If you have a bad week on program, start over and get back on track the next week. The most important part of your journey is that you don't give up. If you persist in making life-style changes and don't abandon your effort to become healthier, you *will* succeed. I have had countless setbacks since I started on WeightWatchers in 2006. But overall I am still happy with my progress so far.

I have managed to lose and keep off at least 90 pounds from my highest weight. I may not have lost everything I wanted to in 2 years (as some have). But I have learned a lot and improved a lot of my habits for the long-term. Your health is about more than a number on the scale. Living a healthy lifestyle will make you feel better and more confident. But holidays and vacations will always be a challenge. Don't get hung up over the occasional screwup. It happens. As long as you don't quit, you will continue to make progress!

Good luck!

I'm bookmarking that documentary, and will probably watch it tonight. :] Your explanation of short-term weight gain and loss is especially eye opening, I'm happy to understand that much more. Thank you so much for taking the time to make this reply, I really appreciate it! It is very helpful.
  • ParisArkw
    Options
    I messed up by about 1000 calories last night. I could look at it as four days wasted (being at a 250 calorie deficit a day) but I jumped on the elliptical this morning and I will again tomorrow! Hopefully I can correct any damage done. I have set myself up for a half pound a week but usually do better even when I mess up!
    I love your ready-to-fight attitude! I don't know how many calories of damage I did, but I think you've just inspired me to fit in a workout today, once I (hopefully) feel better/less bloated&sick. :b
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    It depends. Let's say your maintenance calories are 2000 and your goal is 1500 calories a day. If you eat exactly at goal for six days that week and binge one day on 5000 calories, you'll be at maintenance for the week. If you binge on 3000 calories one day, you'd still be 2000 under maintenance and lose weight.
  • Nutella91
    Nutella91 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    same thing.. :(