Running Outside in the Summer - Do you burn more cals?

Options
I've been running a 4 mile trail since January, but now that it's summer...in Texas, it is sooo much more difficult to run in it the heat! We're talkin' 95 - 100 degree average. My question is, am I burning more calories because of the heat? It sure feels like it.

Replies

• AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Ha, I live in TN and I WISH you burned more calories in the heat... but from what I understand I don't think that you do.
    I often ask myself this very same question though.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    NO you dont...heat doesnt cause you to burn calories...you burn calories when your heart rate is excelerated...so whether it be cold or mild or scorching hot...its the exceleration of your heart rate which can burn just as fast in cold weather as in raving heat....
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Bump! I'd like to know -- it definitely feels like I am working harder. Good comments on calorie burn being related to heart rate, but if you're working harder, wouldn't your heart rate go up faster?

I run at 0400 just to avoid heat and humidity, I'm a lil' bit of a pansy. And I live in Wisconsin -- can't imagine Texas!!
  • RentThisSpace
    RentThisSpace Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Check out this article from Active.com that came into my inbox this morning.

http://www.active.com/running/Articles/3-Ways-to-Run-Through-the-Heat.htm?cmp=282&memberid=81851914&

The short is answer is "No, it doesn't, but it sure feels like you are."

/From Dallas
    //Ran 4 miles yesterday afternoon, I feel your pain
  • Xannthippe
    Xannthippe Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Ran 6 yesterday late day and thought seriously about puking.

I don't think the calorie burn difference is going to be too much, if anything, different.
    I do know that running in the heat here in Texas, when it's around the 85-100 degree mark, my heart rate is about 10 beats/min faster. So who knows.

Hydrate well and good luck!
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Now if you are running or have increased your pace then you are burning more but thats because you have increased your heart rate from what you normally increase it to but thats when you change your running from like 4 mph to 5 mph or something along that sort to see the bigger burn.
  • circusmom
    circusmom Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I recently changed my walk time from about 7pm to 6am because of the heat, yesterday with the heat index it was 105 ( I live in Florida). The only place I would run in this heat would be back inside, LOL ........... No heat stroke for me, Thanks!
  • karenmi
    karenmi Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Oh, I am jealous! I live in Alberta, Canada and we've only had two days above 70 degrees so far this year.....today it's in the high 30's or low 40 degrees and overcast, no sun or blue sky to be seen.

Please send some hot weather our way, LOL!!!!
  • minus15go
    minus15go Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses. I was really hoping that someone would say "YES! It's absolutely scientifically proven" - haha - but of course in the real world, weight loss the facts are hard to swallow (so to speak). Anyhow, I think I'm going to just shift my workouts to the early a.m. My hubby gets up at 5am for work so I'll just have to convince him to wake me up then too & keep me accountable!