Protein Shakes/Spreading out breakfast meal

Options
So, what is the deal with protein shakes? I hear they are good for muscle restoration and development, but I don't know much else about them. Are they worth is calorie/sugar wise? I had a look at some recipes and they seem to be smoothies with a

I have started an early morning bootcamp 3 times a week, so I usually just grab a banana on my way out the door and then have my breakfast when I get home at about 7ish. However, I find that I am ravenous about 2-3 hours later! I really don't want to be snacking all morning but I can't hold out on a couple of pieces of fruit until lunch!

Would protein shakes be a good alternative as a snack?

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Shakes are a nice supplement if you need more protein. I find they don't fill me up, personally, but I know they work as a snack for many people. If they work for you, they're a great option for a snack. I know there's one, Optimum something maybe, that is 110 calories for a decent amount of protein that supposedly tastes really good. I think it's pricey, though. My husband orders a different one of that brand (with more extra crap in it) from bodybuilding.com. I'm thinking of getting some of it for me when I'm out of my cheapo stuff from the grocery store. I like to have a shake every now and again or add the powder to oatmeal or my almond milk when I'm having cereal to get an extra protein boost. If you think it will help, it's worth a shot. You could also blend it with some Greek yogurt and fruit for a smoothie.
  • SweetestLibby
    SweetestLibby Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes to increase my protein intake beause I'm not a big meat eater...I'm actually kinda an accidental pescetarian. I never intended to be...it sorta just happened I noticed I only eat chicken/turkey/beef a couple times a year when other people have made it for me. I make my own shakes (it's cheaper) and use that or a protein bar/pudding etc in the morning since I have a habit of not really eating breakfast - it's a habit I've had since I was 15.

I use Isopure - 105 to 110 calories and 25 grams of protein per serving.
  • laregime
    laregime Posts: 9
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'm going to give it a go as a post workout meal :)
  • ecw3780
    ecw3780 Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I use them as a post bootcamp meal...but I do end up eating again about 3 hours later. It is a great way to get some quick protein.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    a boiled egg is a good protein snack. or a slice of cheese.