Muscle Groups

Options
Ok, so yesterday I went to the gym for the first time in a while and lifted heavier than I would usually. It's not much, but I really pushed myself more than I have been, and today, I ache, which is good.

The only thing is that I did squats and deadlifts AND upper body (my shoulders and biceps and triceps) and now ALL ache! I forgot to only do upper OR lower body, and so today, I can't do any weight training.

Or should I? I believe you have to wait a day between training the same muscle group to allow for repair, or is this nonsense? Happy to do cardio only today, although that really only accounts for a 20min workout on the elliptical, but I suppose I could try a jog on the treadmill too.

What is the suggestion?

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• lizzyb83
    lizzyb83 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I do heavy weights every other day. I read when you work a muscle to fatigue like that, it needs almost 48 hours to recover. And generally, I try to work as much as possible...squats with an over head press. Lunge with lats, etc. Upper and lower at the same time
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Wait at least a day or two before hitting the same bodypart. Also I wouldn't do deads and squats the same day unless you do one of the movements with lightweight and low intensity. Squats and deadlifts hit a majority of the same bodyparts.