Incredible weight GAIN in such a short time :(

Options
So, I eat within my calories pretty much every day. My calorie goals are set to around 1750. I do cardio twice a week (Thai boxing) where I burn, generally, 800 calories a session, if not more. As well as this I do some strength training at home, at least three a week. This is something I've just started doing within the last few weeks. I weighed myself last week and was absolutely delighted when I saw the scale read 169.2. The lowest I've ever weighed. I weighed myself yesterday and the scale said 177.

How the hell is that possible? I'm absolutely gutted, I thought I was doing so well and now I've miraculously put on so much weight. Prior to weighing in at 169 I was around 172.

I feel horrendously demotivated now :( any suggestions as to why this may have happened or anything? My diet hasn't changed much, I still drink a lot of water. The only difference this past week is that I've been poorly and not done any cardio.

Replies

• Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    Relax, I doubt you gained 8 pounds of fat in a short period of time.

It could be a zillion different things. If you're not well, it could be your body's inflammatory response to whatever is making you sick. It could be water weight. It could be that you've weighed your self in different ways, different times, anything. Just relax, get well, and return to your usual stuff when you're recovered.
  • lovescontrary
    lovescontrary Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Personally, I have seen my weight vary as much as 18 lbs in a day, from inflammation, etc. The scale, especially short term changes, is not the best measure of your progress. I put more value on my hip measurement.
  • rousehouse
    rousehouse Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    It's normal for weight to fluctuate 1-4 pounds on a daily basis. You could be retaining water too. Remember it's important to weigh yourself at the same time every day, ideally first thing in the morning. Don't let the scale demotivate you. As long as you are carefully estimating your food intake and exercise, you will lose. You got this, keep going!
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    Thanks everyone. It's nice to see that I'm not the only one this is happening too. I'm still going to keep going but it is slightly demotivating. I guess this thing gets harder the closer we get to our goals!
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Remember that a whole lot of your body weight is made up of fluid, and that fluid can fluctuate dramatically. It can fluctuate due to changes in your exercise programme, changes in the amount of sodium you consume, changes in the amount of carbs you consume, and hormonal changes. On top of that you are also weighing the amount of food and waste in your digestive system, so when you eat different volumes of food (even if calories are the same, you might eat more vegetables one day for example) then that will make your weight fluctuate too. You could easily be retaining water from strength training: your muscles hold onto water as they repair themselves.

It takes approx. 3,500 calories to gain 1 lb of fat, that's 3,500 calories over and above your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure). From what you've said, you've been eating at a deficit, so you're nowhere near your TDEE to start with, let alone 3,500x8 above that number.

Finally, remember that scales can malfunction too. Check your battery, make sure you are weighing on the same (flat) surface each time, and at a similar time of day, wearing similar clothes (or none). If you are weighing on different scales - that can also make a difference too, as they don't always weight the same.

Give it some time, keep doing what you're doing, and you should see the weight come down again soon.
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    So, I eat within my calories pretty much every day. My calorie goals are set to around 1750. I do cardio twice a week (Thai boxing) where I burn, generally, 800 calories a session, if not more. As well as this I do some strength training at home, at least three a week. This is something I've just started doing within the last few weeks. I weighed myself last week and was absolutely delighted when I saw the scale read 169.2. The lowest I've ever weighed. I weighed myself yesterday and the scale said 177.

How the hell is that possible? I'm absolutely gutted, I thought I was doing so well and now I've miraculously put on so much weight. Prior to weighing in at 169 I was around 172.

I feel horrendously demotivated now :( any suggestions as to why this may have happened or anything? My diet hasn't changed much, I still drink a lot of water. The only difference this past week is that I've been poorly and not done any cardio.

DON'T WORRY !!!!!! you are not the only one.... I too have put weight on but have done well with my food & workouts.. I will persevere and see what comes this week or next week, I think mine was sodium/water, as everyone says on here you need to be over by 35000 calss to put on 1lb of fat... so unless you and I were eating giant cakes or blocks of as well as our daily intakes I can see brighter days on the horizon...... Keep at it, it is only one strange week, live is not fair !! lets see where we go from here.... my hubby loves the film Galaxy Quest so whilst on MFP I think I will use it as my mantra...........................................NEVER GIVE UP......NEVER SURRENDER !!! :flowerforyou:
  • CoralBreeze
    Options
    Thanks again everyone. This has made me feel loads better!
  • fleerik
    fleerik Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just trust the process. I can see how discouraging this has been for you, but keep up your increased exercise and keep counting your calories. It's hard not to let something like that go, but give it a month or two and see where you're at then. I go through period of weight gain or stagnant periods where I see no progress. Then all of a sudden it starts shedding off...I'd be interested to see if the same thing happens to you!
  • Dragon67
    Dragon67 Posts: 123 Member
    Options

DON'T WORRY !!!!!! you are not the only one.... I too have put weight on but have done well with my food & workouts.. I will persevere and see what comes this week or next week, I think mine was sodium/water, as everyone says on here you need to be over by 35000 calss to put on 1lb of fat... so unless you and I were eating giant cakes or blocks of as well as our daily intakes I can see brighter days on the horizon...... Keep at it, it is only one strange week, live is not fair !! lets see where we go from here.... my hubby loves the film Galaxy Quest so whilst on MFP I think I will use it as my mantra...........................................NEVER GIVE UP......NEVER SURRENDER !!! :flowerforyou:

SORRY.........made a typo.... 1lb equates to 3500 cals NOT 350000....... ooops!! :embarassed:
  • indygal76
    indygal76 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I have also had a weight gain recently. I was 130 th reeweeks ago. Now my scale is showing 134. I have no idea what is going on. I have been doing a lot more weight lifting along with my cardio. I am assuming it is my body retaining water. It is just dissapointing to see that # move up on the scale. I am hoping to see it go back down soon!