Shin pain? Help!

Options
I recently started a Couch to 5k program and after just 3 days on the first 'level' my shins are pretty sore. I've had shin splints before and I don't think that is what I'm feeling...but it's definitely uncomfortable. I'm currently jogging at 5-6 mph for a cumulative time of 8 minutes right now. I'm wearing what I feel are pretty good shoes -- New Balance that said they were specifically for running. I'm also wearing custom inserts in my shoes for various foot problems I have. My feet are comfortable during the run but by the time my 8 minutes are over (especially the third day of the week) my shins are just so sore and I have trouble completing the run. Am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    I just completed c25k, and I would suggest two things. First, go to a specialty running shoe store and have them analyze your gait to fit you in the correct shoe. You probably overpronate like I do Not all "running" shoes are the same, or for the same pronation type. Second, slow down. You'll be amazed how much difference just backing off a bit will make. I can't stress either piece of advice enough.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I just completed c25k, and I would suggest two things. First, go to a specialty running shoe store and have them analyze your gait to fit you in the correct shoe. You probably overpronate like I do Not all "running" shoes are the same, or for the same pronation type. Second, slow down. You'll be amazed how much difference just backing off a bit will make. I can't stress either piece of advice enough.

Thanks for the advice!
  • wadedawg
    wadedawg Posts: 315
    Options
    You're very welcome. I received lots of encouragement and good advice when I started out. I'd repay everyone's kindness poorly if I didn't reciprocate. Browse the c25k forum here as well. Lots of good tips to be found there, and a lot of support as well.
  • emmalousmom1
    emmalousmom1 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    usually shin pain is from lactic acid buildup, two things I did was shorten my stride, made a huge difference, and the second thing, I don't think you can do easily in between but maybe after your workout, when I ran outside last summer,and the shin pain came I followed a suggestion, to dunk my legs in cold water, we have a lake nearby so that was easy and it worked. Maybe you could try it after your workout:)
  • Jolene8992
    Jolene8992 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have horrible shin splints . Was recommended to purchase a pair of asics nimbus gel running shoes. Great for overpronation. Never had another shin splint. Thank goodness. Tgey were debilitating.
  • AMBlass
    AMBlass Posts: 161
    Options
    I have shoes fitted for me and I still have moderate shin pain. Not enough to make me stop but they are sore. I think it's normal for beginners. The more I do it the easier it feels.
  • weffie11
    weffie11 Posts: 91
    Options
    Try going slower and landing on the middle of your foot rather than the heel. Think of your feet as moving in a circle - almost like a bike - with the contact point under your centre of gravity, rather than a stride in front of you. Feels a little strange at first, but it might help. Make sure you stretch your calf muscles afterwards - face a wall and put the toes of one foot flat against a wall with your heel on the floor and thin lean in towards the wall until you feel the stretch in your calf.
  • DMarieLVT
    DMarieLVT Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! I went and got fitted today and bought some shoes that were recommended to me. They are very comfortable but so far have not alleviated the shin discomfort. It's still there though it seems to be fading a little faster. Is this maybe just the ligaments and muscles stretching and getting used to this amount of activity? The saleswoman also recommended compression sleeves if the shoes don't solve the problem. Any thoughts?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Try doing toe and heel raises. Raise up on your toes 10 times, then flex your feet (toes up, weight on your heels) 10 times. Do 2 or 3 sets daily. This will help strengthen the muscles in your lower legs and should help with shin pain. It might hurt at first, since your shins are already sore, but should help in the long run.
  • melicious276
    melicious276 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I was getting HORRIBLE shin splints playing soccer and dek hockey (to the point where I could barely walk unassisted and I could not do stairs at all). I took 2 weeks off, got fitted for shoes more appropriate for my gait (is that the right word?), and started wearing compression socks. My pain all but went away. I truly believe the shoes made the difference! (my physical therapist roommate says there is no science behind compression socks, but they make my legs feel so good so I don't even care).

Now before any running sport I also "spell" the alphabet with each foot/ankle to warm up as well. Good luck, I know how awful shin pain can be.
  • pterradactyl
    Options
    The toe/heel raises could definitely help; stretching it out has always worked best for me to deal with the pain.
  • GreenStars
    GreenStars Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm on Week 7 of the C25K program. I had horrible shin pains during the first 3 weeks, but then once I started running more they've pretty much disappeared (knock on wood). I make sure I stretch my calves before I start, and definitely stretch afterwards. I also iced my shins after my stretch, and that really helped.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice everyone! I went and got fitted today and bought some shoes that were recommended to me. They are very comfortable but so far have not alleviated the shin discomfort. It's still there though it seems to be fading a little faster. Is this maybe just the ligaments and muscles stretching and getting used to this amount of activity? The saleswoman also recommended compression sleeves if the shoes don't solve the problem. Any thoughts?

You might just have to take it easy and ramp up the activity level a bit slower than the program calls for. I find I do well for a few weeks then hit a wall where I'm just not ready for that leap. I'm on week 8 now and am hoping to finally complete a 28 minute run tomorrow night.
  • MavenMassage505
    Options
    Shin splints are a terrible thing. Taking supplements such as Glutamine for recovery and Hyaluronic Acid with MSM will help support your joints, ligaments and tendons. Also after your run, sit down to stretch and actually rub your thumb along the medial side of your shin bone to help move all the lactic and uric acid out of the area. GOOD LUCK
  • Shweet_heart
    Shweet_heart Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    This may not help your shin splints exactly, but I'm also doing the C25K, and have found that my legs used to ache, and then I started to stretch every leg muscle, and have helped to keep them feeling better.. This is the series I do...

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/how-to-stretch-after-a-run.aspx