Is protein powder fattening?

Options
I'd just received comments from my friends that protein powder is fattening. Is that true? (I'm now taking Amway protein powder.)

Replies

• dmpizza
    dmpizza Posts: 3,321 Member
    Options
    The mixes aren't calorie free. A big dose makes you feel leaner because you lose water, but after that, I don't think it does much, or I wasnt working out hard enough to see results.
  • jdad1
    jdad1 Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    ummm, there are lots of different powders out there and they have different nutrition facts but i don't think there are any with a lot of fat. Not that i know of anyway.
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately don't know the brand you are taking, but just posted this in another thread:

Today I had the following protein:

3 eggs = 240 calories and 21grams of protein
    130grams salmon = 452 calories and 26 grams of protein
    2 protein shakes = 194 calories and 36 grams of protein - YES - 36grams of protein

So based on the Red8 Whey protein I use - no, it is not fattening - from a calorie perspective it is most probably the "cheapest" way to get protein in my diet......having said that it does not mean I dont eat meat, fish, chicken and eggs - lots of it :-)

Just by the way the Red8 uses stevia - so no sugars - which can push the calorie count up quite a bit....
  • SuMcP
    SuMcP Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    It has a calorific value and as such, if it takes you over your calorie requirements, the surplus will eventually cause you to gain weight. Just count it in with your normal logging.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    My brand only has 2 grams of fat. The way some people use them causes some to gain weight. I calculate mine into my daily caloric intake and haven't gained using it.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    nope
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,968 Member
    Options
    Any food stuff that have calories has the potential to be fattening.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you need to learn that any food can be "fattening". If you over eat and put too much energy in your body (that is calories) than you are expending (calories burned through being alibe, doing exercise etc) then the energy will be stored in various forms in your body, and the majority will be stored as "fat". So if you are incorporating protein shakes in to your daily calorie allowance and not going over your calories, it shouldn't be "fattening".
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Seriously, you need to learn that any food can be "fattening". If you over eat and put too much energy in your body (that is calories) than you are expending (calories burned through being alibe, doing exercise etc) then the energy will be stored in various forms in your body, and the majority will be stored as "fat". So if you are incorporating protein shakes in to your daily calorie allowance and not going over your calories, it shouldn't be "fattening".

This. The calories certainly aren't negligible so you need to log them.
  • vlnalto
    vlnalto Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Only fattening if you're not accounting for those calories in your day. I've made some 500-600 calorie smoothies (with peanut butter, banana - the cals can add up quickly) so that ON TOP of normal calorie intake would be a problem. Otherwise, if you're meeting your calorie goal, you'll be fine.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    Just be careful of what you add to the protein shake. I can't stand mine made with water & I didn't want to have the extra calories from milk so I use almond/coconut milk (45 cal). I also switch up the frozen fruit I use - sometimes frozen mangos, peaches, berries or banana. Just 1/4 cup. Enough for flavor & to make it thick.
  • phoebethang
    Options
    I'd checked the nutrition facts of the protein powder that I had consumed. It contains 40kcal, 8g of protein, 0.5g of fat and 0.3g of carbohydrate per 1 serving. So it should be OK if I include this in my meal and does not over my net calorie intake, am I right?
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I'd checked the nutrition facts of the protein powder that I had consumed. It contains 40kcal, 8g of protein, 0.5g of fat and 0.3g of carbohydrate per 1 serving. So it should be OK if I include this in my meal and does not over my net calorie intake, am I right?

yes