Infection? If you're easily grossed out...be warned.

Options
MSeel1984
MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
So...I had a suspicious mole removed-they took out a decent area of skin AROUND the site too.

I'm doing EXACTLY what the physician told me. No strenuous exercise that would stretch or irritate the area...mostly arc trainer, walking or nothing at all.

I'm cleaning the site with hydrogen peroxide, drying it and then applying neosporin, then covering it with a bandage.

Well yesterday when I was cleaning it, I noticed it's inflamed. There's pus coming out of several areas AND there's what looks like a red/blue bruise NEXT to the incision that also has pus coming out of it.

I'm freaking out of course because I've had sepsis in the past and don't want to go through that ordeal again. I'm going to call my doctor tomorrow to see if he needs me to come in...but what should I do? I'm already on an antibiotic and I'm taking it as I'm supposed to...

It hurts really bad and it's swollen...looks pretty angry too.

Replies

• pet1127
    pet1127 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    get it looked at NOW waiting 24 hours is more than enough time for the infection to enter blood stream
  • usernameMAMA
    usernameMAMA Posts: 681 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't wait either. When I was younger I had a biopsy done and the place they did it got inflamed and started pussing, to the point I had to use a maxi pad to catch the flow of puss. I had a doctors appointment so I didn't bother going in to the ER. I was young and stupid about it. As soon as I showed the doctor he rushed me into surgery to clean out the infection because it was so bad and he couldn't believe I waited that long. I ended up with a nasty scar from it and the heal time was weeks. Go in!
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I had a similar situation. When I noticed the infection I thought it would get better the next day. And the next day when it was swollen I figured tomorrow it will be ok and I waited. The third day It looked pretty nasty I called out from work and thought all I need to do is rest and it will get better. Finally on the fourth day I went to the hospital. Once I got there I was rushed to a bigger hospital via ambulance. I was admitted and had surgery, I laid in the hospital for the next 23 days as my body fought off the infection.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    So go to the ER now...
  • sharonb100
    Options
    hospital - now! sounds like the antibiotics can't cope with the level of infection and you need something much stronger, maybe via IV?
  • blink1021
    blink1021 Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    or at the very least a walk in or urgent care. Don't screw around with it being so close to your heart. Also if your doctor has 24hr service call his answering service and talk to him he may meet you at the emergency room.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I'm a nurse.
    That's bad if you're keeping it clean, on an antibiotic and it's still quite infected.
    You need to be seen today (now, this morning) so you don't develop sepsis, MRSA, beta-hemolytic strep etc.
    Yes, you may need IV antibiotics and/or have an I&D- incision & drainage.
    Are you running a fever?
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    or at the very least a walk in or urgent care. Don't screw around with it being so close to your heart. Also if your doctor has 24hr service call his answering service and talk to him he may meet you at the emergency room.

Yes, all doctors have an answering service. You may not get your doctor but one doctor is always on call.
    Urgent care would probably just send you to the ER.
  • daphne_m
    daphne_m Posts: 84
    Options
    Hospital. My aunt ended up in hospital for a week after thinking the wound on her arm would eventually respond to the oral antibiotics she had been prescribed after the initial infection. Better to be in overnight or a few days than spend a week there after ending up horribly ill.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    I'm a nurse.
    That's bad if you're keeping it clean, on an antibiotic and it's still quite infected.
    You need to be seen today (now, this morning) so you don't develop sepsis, MRSA, beta-hemolytic strep etc.
    Are you running a fever?

I haven't checked my temperature.

Yesterday I had a horrific headache-but it went away and I feel better today. It's sore for sure an swollen. It's not a TON of pus that's coming out...and it seems to come out when I use the hydrogen peroxide. What worries me most is the bruise next to it that wasn't there before...and it has pus coming out of it too...

My skin also seems extremely red where the adhesive from the tape/bandages is.
  • LaLouve_RK
    LaLouve_RK Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    As a pierced gal, I have always been told : NEVER put peroxyde or Alcohol on a wound! NEVER! It will dry the wound and cause infection.
    Go with saline water ONLY. (They even confirmed that on my CPR class)
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    Weird...that's what my dermatologist specifically said to use. I know I shouldn't use hydrogen peroxide on piercings because it breaks down the metal...There's no metal here.
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Another nurse here -- at the very least, call your doctor. If you are in the US, most have an answering service. Failing that, go to urgent care or the ER. Better to be safe than sorry. You don't want that bug getting an extra 24 hours to get well established.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Hydrogen peroxide has been shown to not be of any use.
    Proper wound cleaning here,from Mayo clinic: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/first-aid-cuts/FA00042

ER - I'd go now.
  • MSeel1984
    Options
    SO here's what happened.

Had the wound nurse here at work take a peek. She said it doesn't look too bad, but I should definitely call my doctor.

Called my doc and he got back to me. Let's just say THANK GOD for a smart phone with a high definition camera and a doctor who has picture messaging.

he took a look and said it looks bruised. As a safety precaution, he's switching my antibiotic and giving me a topical antibiotic ointment to use on it twice/day.

he said stop using hydrogen peroxide and start using mild soapy water.

Thanks all for your advice-looks like all will be well.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    Ah the wonders of modern technology...
  • cuterbee
    cuterbee Posts: 545
    Options
    Thanks for the update! :) All of us in healthcare have seen waaay too many bad things!
  • WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr
    WarriorCupcakeBlydnsr Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    As a clinical microbiologist, I'm concerned that he changed your antibiotic with out getting a culture so the lab can do a culture and sensitivity to identify the antibiotic that will correctly clear the infection. If you're taking the wrong antibiotic for the bacteria, it won't clear the infection and can potentially create a resistant bug for you (this is why things like MRSA happen and things like necrotizing fasciitis show up in surgical wounds)
    Hopefully he set up a follow up appointment so he can check it and possibly take a sample
  • sPaRkLiNgLYFE
    Options
    go to the ER and let them drain it
  • Mustang_Susie
    Options
    I'm a nurse.
    Are you running a fever?

I haven't checked my temperature.

Yesterday I had a horrific headache-but it went away and I feel better today. It's sore for sure an swollen. It's not a TON of pus that's coming out...and it seems to come out when I use the hydrogen peroxide. What worries me most is the bruise next to it that wasn't there before...and it has pus coming out of it too...

My skin also seems extremely red where the adhesive from the tape/bandages is.

Are you sure it was "pus" coming out or just the hydrogen peroxide oxidizing or "bubbling" when it came in contact with the wound?
    Are you allergic to tape?
    What oral antibiotic were you on and what did he switch you to?
    I agree that the drainage needs to be cultured if indeed it is purulent drainage.