OATMEAL what's your recipe?

Options
chelseagirlfl
chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
I loooove oatmeal but, I am am trying to eat healthier and the way I am used to making it is
with brown sugar, or granulated sugar and cinnamon, or honey or maple syrup. For me it is
very comforting and I am looking for hot, cold, sweet and savory healthy ideas for making oatmeal
other than just throwing banana and apple in there.

Any to go recipes like cookies or bars would be great too.

Replies

• fiona2785
    fiona2785 Posts: 82
    Options
    I sometimes have it cold - if you have oats that don't need soaking, you can mix them straight into greek yogurt. I have this with honey & blueberries mixed in - fab breakfast!
  • cynthiajonah
    Options
    I microwave my oatmeal. so water & oatmeal, then added cinnamon. cook till desired consistency. I added 2 tsp brown sugar (way below what I would normally use - but I as well am trying to eat healthier). I have also added raisins, or other dried fruit such as dried cherries.
  • smilingirisheyes
    smilingirisheyes Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm having a bowl right now... 1 oz each of oat bran and textured vegetable protein with a small apple microwaved for 3 minutes. Then I mix in 2 TB of PB2, 2 packets of stevia, and 1/2 T of flax oil. It's good!
  • cwaters120
    cwaters120 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    My mom gave me an oatmeal recipe that I really like. It can keep you seriously full for a while.

STUPID GOOD OATMEAL CUSTARD

1 pkt instant oats of choice
    1/3 - 1/2 c water ( i used the 1/2 as thats what mine called for to make it on the pack)
    1/2 - 3/4 c frozen fruit (i used strawberries that i thawed)
    1 egg
    1 t sweetener of choice
    1/2 t vanilla, optional (I opted not)

whisk together HALF of the water with the egg in a microwavable bowl, mix in oats, remaining water, sweetener and vanilla. nuke one minute. stir, add fruit, nuke another minute. stir. ENJOY!! (but becareful as its really hot)
  • TurtleRunnerNC
    TurtleRunnerNC Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    When it's warmer I make refrigrator oatmeal. You can get lots of recipes from Google or Pintrest. My fave so far is using 1/2 cup quick oats, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, half a banana ( cut up), 1/2 cup blueberries and a couple drops of vanilla. Mix in container and stick in the fridge overnight. In the morning I will mix in some chopped walnuts or almond slivers.
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    50 g rolled oats
    25 g raisins
    250 ml (1 cup) milk
    Cinnamon

Combine all ingredients, heat until done stirring occasionally, takes about 5 minutes.
  • chelseagirlfl
    chelseagirlfl Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys.!!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on a blog and it's fantastic!! 1/2 cup quick oats, 3/4 cup milk ( you can use skim), 1/2 mashed up banana, cinnamon to taste and a "blob" of cashew or almond butter. I cook the oats, milk and banana in the microwave (about 2 to 2 1/2 minutes) and then add the cinnamon and nut butter. You can also add dried or fresh fruit. Delicious and very easy!!

Another favorite variation on oatmeal is the "breakfast cookie" it's 1/3 cup oats, 1/2 mashed banana, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 1 tablespoon nut butter and a splash of milk (I use almond milk). Add all together and put in the fridge overnight or freezer for about 1/2 an hour. You can also add nuts or fruit.
  • kat5556
    kat5556 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    You can make enough for 5 days at a time. I generally make 10 servings at a time for me and my husband for the week.

Steel cut oatmeal (1/4 cup per serving)
    Water (1 cup per serving)
    Bring to a very slow boil and them simmer for 25-30 minutes
    Add in 2 egg whites (per serving)
    Cook for another 10 minutes, stirring often.
    When done stir in cinnamon to taste (I like a lot of it!) and then refrigerate it.
    When you are ready to eat in the morning add 1/2 cup of frozen blueberries and microwave until hot, generally 2.5 to 3 minutes, stirring a few times. Of course you can always heat it up in a pan.

Per serving - 212 calories, 36 carbs, and 12 protein.
  • FitzyFitzpatrick
    FitzyFitzpatrick Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I mix 1/4 c oatmeal into my smoothie every morning at 6am, then at 10am have a morning snack with the other 1/4 c oatmeal prepared and reheated at work-then I've added 1/8 c dried (not sweetened) cranberries or 1/3 frozen blueberries and 1/2 cinnamon. When it reheats, it's very moist and I don't add milk. Keeps me full all morning!

Pre-lifestyle change, it was brown sugar and butter. Yeah, not so informed.
  • pmad37
    pmad37 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I mix in a few blueberries - sometimes just a little brown sugar! Trying to do better as well
  • bdenitto
    bdenitto Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    This morning I used an Irish style oat and added maple sugar.
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    First I either use old-fashioned oats or steel cut oats...heartier and doesn't drive my blood sugar up as fast.

I add about a handful/1/4 cup wheat bran
    1/2 Tbsp either maple syrup or brown sugar
    1/8 cup or a couple tablespoons of chopped nuts (walnuts or pecans)
    and maybe a tablespoon or so of a dried fruit (craisins, dried cherries or raisins)

If I feel like being bad, I'll boil some granny smith or Macintosh apples in apple cider then add some cinnamon and brown sugar and maybe a tablespoon or so of butter. Fish those out and stir them in for homemade apple cinnamon oatmeal :)
  • Icedancer94
    Icedancer94 Posts: 108
    Options
    Sounds odd, but trust me on this... 43g oats (1 cup), 125ml skimmed milk (1/4 cup)... And 25g cheese! I used Co-operative White Cheshire cheese which is 96 cals for 25g. Shake of black pepper, and you're done. Honestly, it is so good! Kept me full because it was very flavoursome. All this is approx 310 cals, will obviously depend on what cheese and milk you use though :-)
  • mpjh001
    mpjh001 Posts: 2
    Options
    Use oat groats - unrolled oats - toast half cup in pot for a bit to warm up then pour in 1 3/4 cup water boiled in tea pot - lower temperature to simmer and cover - set cook for 45 minutes - uncover, raise temp and let water slower cook off - when water nearly gone add bunch of cinnamon, chopped walnuts and wild blueberries (frozen) - stir to distribute - enjoy

the 45 minutes cooking isn't much of problem if you set timer and go about your business.
  • Doberdawn
    Doberdawn Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    Fast and easy, I just put a bit of Maple Grove Farms sugar free maple syrup.

On another thread, I read this. Plan to try it, haven't yet,but sounds good:

Meyer Lemon Blueberry Baked Oatmeal adapted from Babble by Mo’Betta

1 Meyer lemon, zested and juiced 2 cups nonfat milk 2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats 1 tsp baking powder 1/2 tsp kosher salt 1/2 tsp nutmeg 1/2 tsp cinnamon 2 Tbsp butter, melted and cooled 1 egg 1/3 cup sugar 2 cups blueberries, fresh or frozen

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with nonstick spray.

Zest lemon; set zest aside. In a bowl, combine milk and juice from the zested lemon to make “buttermilk”.

In a medium bowl, combine the oats, baking powder, salt, spices, and lemon zest. In a small bowl, whisk together the “buttermilk”, butter, egg, and sugar.

Spoon half of the oat mixture into the baking dish, and then half of the blueberries. Add the remaining oat mixture and scatter the remaining blueberries on to the top, pressing them in slightly. Pour in the milk mixture and place in oven.

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes, or until the mixture is a light golden brown along the edges, and the center has set up.

Yield: 4 large servings.

Nutrition Information (per serving): 399 calories; 10.5 g. fat; 49 mg. cholesterol; 486 mg. sodium; 67 g. carbohydrate; 7 g. fiber; 12.3 g. protein

Result: Filling, packed with fiber, and rich in antioxidants! This is simple to make and reheats great for weekday breakfasts. Enjoy!
  • april1445
    april1445 Posts: 334
    Options
    I often crack an egg into my oatmeal just as it's finished cooking-ups the protein quotient and makes it very creamy. Stir the egg in and the heat will cook it.
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Mine is very simple. 1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup milk, 1/2 cup water, 2-4 TBSP PB2.
  • RitaSantoss
    RitaSantoss Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I like to make my oats voluminous just by adding water and a bit of milk, throw it in the microwave for about 11 minutes total and then leaving it in the fridge overnight. Then I just take it out in the morning heat it up a bit for around 6 minutes, and then I add half a banana, some strawberries, hazelnuts and a bit of honey. And the oats are infused overnight with: brown sugar, cinnamon, coccoa powder and coffee powder.

SUPER DELICIOUS and healthy!
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    I like to make baked oatmeal, because it cuts up easily into squares, freezes well, and is extremely convenient for me to take to work. It is ridiculously quick and easy to prepare and very versatile since you can change up the fruit and spices you use. I've made chocolate cherry, peanut butter, p butter chocolate, peach blueberry, raspberry-orange, strawberry banana... It's also not that sweet, I think it has about 1/3 c of brown sugar. The fruit usually provides enough additional sweetness.

I use this recipe, but I add two eggs, usually leave out the nuts, and don't bother drizzling the extra butter on top. Not that I'm opposed to butter, it's in my top 5 most frequently used foods, lol. I'm just lazy and it doesn't seem to make an appreciable difference to the flavor. Sometimes I will toss in some cocoa powder, or some ground flax for extra nutrition.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Baked-Oatmeal-365069

ETA: This usually works out to around 300 calories per serving (1/6th of an 8x8 pan) with around 10 grams of protein, depending on the fruit.