Success in lowering blood pressure - tell me how

Options

Replies

• irsleepy2
    irsleepy2 Posts: 47
    Options
    I'm not recommending that you delay starting B/P meds if that's what the doctor thinks you should do, ....but (having said that) I've been able to reduce the amount (dosage) I take by half, by dropping weight and watching my salt, etc. It CAN be done. Good luck :)
  • newmein2013
    newmein2013 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    I eat tons of veggies and a ridiculous amount of strawberries, so I'd definitely agree about including those to round out your diet, but I'd watch the calcium supplements. My father-in-law and cousin are both medical researchers and recently warned me about calcium supplements. I've cut out my calcium supplements since then.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120523200752.htm

"But when the analysis looked at vitamin/mineral supplements, it found that those who took calcium supplements regularly were 86% more likely to have a heart attack than those who didn't use any supplements."

I have no trouble hitting 80-100% of my calcium needs just through foods alone.

It's very good to keep this in mind and reinforces how we have to be our own advocates as patients. You can have your calcium, potassium & sodium levels checked through a simple blood test (CMP - comprehensive metabolic panel). This gets done at the yearly physical. I've been getting my bloodwork done every 3 - 6 months for over 10 years now. (The joys of being diabetic.) So I just ask them to throw in a CMP every once in a while. My diet includes anywhere from 115% - 600% of calcium from food. I've been taking 1200 mg of calcium every evening for many years & I'm still within normal limits. I have no idea why my body needs so much calcium but apparently, it does, lol. It just really depends on the individual & how the body responds. But definitely, being an informed patient is a must.
  • drift
    drift Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses, such a supportive community!

Off to do more research based on yor pointers and possibly get a bp monitor for home

Thanks
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I started exercising, stopped drinking and lost weight. I also ate less salt but not sure if that made any difference. I was on two types of medication and now on zero.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    I am confused, you lost weight and your blood pressure went up???

Weight loss is probably one of the best things you can do for weight loss.

Thanks PU. I didn't spot she said it went up when she lost weight. Odd. Yes should be the opposite.
  • drift
    Options
    I am confused, you lost weight and your blood pressure went up???

Weight loss is probably one of the best things you can do for weight loss.

I lost the first half towards my goal, then went back to work and had less time to exercise, maintained the loss but didn't lose any more. Bp went up during that maintenance period, so it's back to losing (the other half) and shoe horning exercise in where I can.
  • bpmichael
    bpmichael Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    BP is a tricky thing and it is very dependent on nerves / anxiety, etc. Many people have white coat hypertension (high readings at doctors but normal at home). I can tell you from personal history of this for over 30 years that the more you worry about BP the higher it will go especially at doctor.

As you mentioned in previous post, I would get a monitor and check it at home and log it. This way you can really see what it is and also good to take to your doctor visits.
  • MsDaraElaina
    MsDaraElaina Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I have to watch my BP like a hawk bc I'm also salt sensitive so I have researched and tried different things. As others have said lower sodium intake because there's such a high amount in nearly everything you eat that it constantly builds all day. Other things that help me are taking a regimen of fish oil and garlic oil pills. You can also get these by eating a lot of fish like tuna and salmon and by using natural fresh garlic... I choose to take the supplements in case I don't eat those things daily. The supplements really help but you have to keep taking them which is not bad bc they help other things as well such as your heart and brain function.

Exercising does wonders.... Even 30 mins of walking a day will help you bp.... When you do any form of exercise it forces your heart to pump harder which works your vessels causing them loosen and become adjusted. If you don't do your bike or some type of aggressive workout WALK or run, and you'll see a mega difference.

blackberries are also key. I had to make myself like them at first but they are packed with all types of powerful antioxidants which help your body function overall. EAT THEM!

Hopefully with all of the information you've gathered your bp will be down in no time :smile:
  • pineygirl
    pineygirl Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I went from being hypertensive to having normal blood pressure without medication. I did initially try meds but due to the side effects I ended up stopping them. I wouldn't advocate not taking BP meds if you need them but I felt like I could lower my blood pressure without them. I know at some point later in my life I might need them, but now isn't that time.

My BP used to be on on average 160/95, as high as 219/118, and never below 140/90.

By changing my diet, taking magnesium supplements and doing intense cardio for 45 minutes 3-4 times a week I was able to lower it to usually no higher than 120/80.

Turns out my BP was sodium sensitive if I was deficient in magnesium and potassium. Eating super low sodium alone was not helping much. Eating low sodium (under 1500mg/day...usually around 1200mg/day) and making sure my potassium was 2-3 times my sodium intake really helped, even more so if I had enough magnesium. I take magnesium glyconate every day to make sure I have enough magnesium.

The cardio also made a big difference. The magnesium, sodium and potassium only lowered my BP from hypertensive to pre-hypertensive (around 135/85). The cardio is what lowered it to normal.

This morning it was 114/69.
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fresh approaches. I don't think sodium is an issue for me, don't cook or eat with it much, wasn't aware of the potassium link - will look into that.

You don't have to cook with salt or add it to your food to be getting a lot of sodium. That's a huge misconception. Sodium is in most foods we eat, even things that don't taste salty...eggs, bread, and carrots all have salt in them.

You may be getting more salt than your realize. Many items in the MFP database are incorrectly listed as having zero sodium. It pays to double check and be a salt sleuth.

As others have done, I'm controlling my borderline high bp by keeping sodium around 1500 mg/day and potassium in the 3500+ range. No meds (yet).
  • fausto412
    fausto412 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    started walking a lot, lowered my sodium levels and lost some weight in addition to stopping drinking for awhile. Now I rarely drink alcohol.

Good luck to you.

I did similar and mine used to always come up 120/80 which I'm told it's ok....but after a couple of months and 35 lbs lost I checked and it came up 110/70 which I can't remember the last time I had that reading.
  • dakitten2
    dakitten2 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    For some people, high blood is a heredity trait. When I was in my early 20's and weighed about 140, my bp was 210/120. Was started on bp meds asap. Continued with many different combinations until I was down in the 110/70 range. When I started my life style changes and was about 90 pounds down, I started experiencing real light headiness. I went to the doc and my bp was 85/45 even tho I still weighed more than I did in my 20's. I believe it was a combo of the sodium and lack of exercise in my younger days that drove mine up plus a large family history of hypertension. My doc discontinued all my meds but one and that one was cut in half. I now maintain a pretty normal bp 110/60. I'm hoping that by the time I lose the remainder of my weight I will be off that last med.

Hypertension, even borderline, is not something to mess around with. I've heard people say, once you start bp meds you will always have to be on them. That is not true. But, I would heed my doctor's advice. I'm sure it will be a low level of meds since you are borderline. To me, it's better to be safe than sorry. If you dont have a bp cuff, buy one and record your readings daily.

I honestly believe if I had not started on bp meds, I wouldnt be alive today. My doc told me I was at stroke level or worse.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Set sodium to 2000 mg & potassium to 4000 mg. Have at least 5 servings of dark colored veggies daily (green, orange, etc). Have berries (blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, strawberries) and/or citrus fruits daily. Do cardio 45 - 60 minutes 5 - 6 days a week. Ask the doc to check your vitamin d level. Consider taking... vitamins c, d, e, and calcium, as well as fish oil & flaxseed. Also, deep breathing several times a day. You should see significant improvement within 2 - 3 months. No one can force you to take the meds. It's your body. Explain to the doc that you're diligently working on controlling your bp through diet & exercise. Tell him/her the changes you've made and that you will comply if you're not satisfied with the results after 3 months. Once they see improvement, they'll lay off of you. Good luck.

PS: Magnesium & Evening Primrose Oil also help.

Actually, latest evidence shows that calcium and vitamin e supplements do more harm than good. Otherwise, good advice. :smile:
  • nokanjaijo
    nokanjaijo Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    My husband inherited HBP from his mother. I cook everything myself with very little salt and it's always sea salt. That never helped.

I read this study:

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/11/1/106/abstract

...so we tried beets. They worked. It's almost magical. If he eats beets, his BP is normal the next day. We tried beet juice which he hates (and it is gross). Now, I roast them then candy them.

You should try it.
  • drift
    Options
    My husband inherited HBP from his mother. I cook everything myself with very little salt and it's always sea salt. That never helped.

I read this study:

http://www.nutritionj.com/content/11/1/106/abstract

...so we tried beets. They worked. It's almost magical. If he eats beets, his BP is normal the next day. We tried beet juice which he hates (and it is gross). Now, I roast them then candy them.

You should try it.

Unfortunately there are two things I can't abide, namely beetroot and vinegar. Will have to find a way without these.

Again thanks all for your advice and concern, my appointment is in three weeks, if I haven't made a dent in my rates by then I'll do as I am told and start the meds to be on the safe side, whilst still working on the weight, exercise and diet.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    i can make my bp go up & down. i taught myself after seeing a medical 'game' where people flew a balloon on the computer, varying the height by controlling bp.

my advice would be to learn how to do that trick! buy yourself a measuring gadget and see how you can feel yourself uptight & raise it, feel yourself chilled out and lower it.

oh, and pet an animal. people who pet their cats & dogs statistically have lower bp.
  • glovepuppet
    glovepuppet Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    my appointment is in three weeks, if I haven't made a dent in my rates by then I'll do as I am told and start the meds to be on the safe side, whilst still working on the weight, exercise and diet.
    http://www.bloodpressureuk.org/BloodPressureandyou/Medicaltests/Whitecoateffect?gclid=CPaSqvmvhLYCFeXLtAodnWMAdA

another reason to test yourself at home. my nother was put on meds to lower er bp but they made her feel terrible because her bp is actually very low when the docs aren't near.
  • lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the fresh approaches. I don't think sodium is an issue for me, don't cook or eat with it much, wasn't aware of the potassium link - will look into that.

I started on MFP to avoid blood pressure medicine about 7 weeks ago. I do cardio 5 days a week and walk on the week ends. My weight has come down a little bit. I monitor my blood pressure 2x a day on doctor's orders. The average per week is coming down every week. I'm actually getting close to where she won't threaten me with medicine anymore.

I'm like you, I do not cook with salt or add it at the table. I started monitoring my salt intake when I noticed spikes in my blood pressure. It was happening when my sodium intake was high. I'm really starting to pay attention to all labels. If you eat out at all, the sodium is very high. You might find you are taking in more sodium than you think. Good luck!!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I haven't read the rest of the responses, but I eat a vegan diet (no animal products at all) and have pretty low blood pressure. There may be no correlation, but it may not hurt to try. Good luck! (Strength training also helps.)
  • drift
    Options
    All good, posted a half pound loss today and sourced a bp monitor from a friend. Thanks for all your suggestions.