Interesting video on frozen meals

Options
Smart Ones Sweet and Sour Chicken....350% more fat in it than the package specifies!!! WAHHHH

http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/video.aspx?vid=bd2cd3d4-77ec-4b08-8ceb-c427772a0b8d&tab=today&from=en-us_msnhp&GT1=31036

Replies

• anybristow
    anybristow Posts: 11
    Options
    That is ridiculous. I don't eat those very often, but I think I'll completely avoid them now. This is more evidence that making your own meals at home is so much better for you.
  • jamiesgotagun
    jamiesgotagun Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Yikes!!! That is crazy, thank you for posting!!

Anybristow - I am with you, I am staying away from them!!
  • Allibaba
    Allibaba Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    thanks for sharing. I was eating Lean Cuisine quite a bit, but I stopped since I am watching sodium levels and trying to eat more fresh foods.
  • utes09
    utes09 Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    Yes making your meals at home is better for you, but sometimes you don't have the time to do so. I know I have the time to make lunches like that daily. These frozen meals add convenience. The video is an eye opener, but then it's up to the consumer how often they want to still eat these products following this release. I, for one, know I'll still purchase them to eat once a week or so. Luckily I don't like sweet and sour chicken.
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I used to eat them all the time. I, too, started to avoid them because of high sodium. But now knowing that they are WAY off on the labels sometimes... :grumble:
  • godblessourhome
    godblessourhome Posts: 3,892 Member
    Options
    Smart Ones Sweet and Sour Chicken....350% more fat in it than the package specifies!!! WAHHHH

if you do the math, that means 7 grams of fat instead of 2. not really that huge if you think about it.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I'm not sure if Healthy Choice meals fall into this as well, but I eat those almost every day for lunch and don't have problems with my sodium intake. I just didn't like the taste of Lean Cuisine, and they typically use MSG and have higher calories.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    Ahhh crap. I just watched it. I love the Lobster Raviloi from HC. 17% more fat?! GAHHH!!! :explode:
  • courtney_love2001
    courtney_love2001 Posts: 1,468 Member
    Options
    I think it just re-iterates the point, everything in moderation. I'm still going to eat frozen meals, it just sucks that there isn't tighter regulation about the things that go into our foods. Darn you, FDA! :laugh:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    damn, that link is not working for me!
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is an eye opener! I definitely have purchased those meals in the past, simply because of their numbers, but always wondered if they contained more than advertised.

What annoys me is that the FDA gives those companies 20% "wiggle room" for accuracy...WTF?! Why can't we know exactly what is in each package? And then they take 12 meals and do an average of them...woah. I know the guy said it's a matter of being practical, but as advanced as we are as a country, you're telling me they couldn't guarantee a specific amount? Makes me want to go clean, well cleaner ;)
  • MzMolly
    MzMolly Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    WOW!! Thanks for sharing that. That may help explain why I have been stuck for a few weeks! I am going to pass this along and stop buying those meals. How frustrating!!
  • geekyjen
    geekyjen Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    it's definitely an interesting video, but the math is also less shocking than they are trying to make it sound
    20% more calories on a 250 calorie package is 50 calories. For us trying to count everything, that sucks. But realistically, if you're not eating these for every meal of every day, it's not going to make a huge difference.
    Same with the HC lobster ravioli -- 6g of fat advertised, 17% more means it has 7g of fat. And though we do buy these things because they're low in fat/calories, I would (probably) not change my choice to buy it based on that one gram of fat.
    Frustrating? Yes. Actually a big deal? Probably not.

Now the sodium levels in those, if they're are any higher ... ugh.