Please help, I need advice!

Options
I'm 22, 5"6, 155 lbs. I've changed my lifestyle to be more healthy, I work out 6/7 days a week (running x 3 a week), then ballet or yoga the rest of the days. I eat healthily, I average about 1700 calories a day, and I generally stay away from processed foods. As far as I can tell, I'm doing everything right, no mindless snacking, no skipping exercise or whatever. But 3 months later, I'm still just as fat as ever. I hate it. I hate looking in the mirror. I'm sick of seeing no results, despite being told to be patient. How long am I supposed to be patient for when I see no results. I haven't lost any weight or inches, and every time I see myself I just hate me a little bit more. What am I supposed to do? It's not even about falling back into old unhealthy habits anymore. It's just about this disgust I have for myself, that no matter how hard I try, I'm still just disgusting. I can't deal with it, and I don't know what to do... I have no support, no one to turn to. I can't take it anymore... I really can't. Please, I could really use a kind word, some advice, just something!

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are really consistent with your exercise! Good for you:). I would look at your diet. Are you really sticking to 1700 calories a day? Measure and weigh everything and see if you your records are accurate. That I think is the first step.

No, I'm wrong.^that is step two. Step one is love yourself now!!!! I don't care how you figure this one out just do it. It's very important to treat yourself kindly and respectfully:)
  • Cassea7
    Cassea7 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    I am sorry you feel that way about yourself.. there is hope..Do you log in everything you eat? every morsel and weigh your food ..exact measurements. Also I commend you for eating healthy foods and no processed....This is what i think is happening..You have lost lean muscle..if you start doing some strength training..you will burn fat and speed up your metabloism..I wasnt losing anything either..although i wasnt logging calories either...anyway started strength training and I see noticeable differences in 1 week..Cheer up ..:flowerforyou: This will work!
  • sandradev1
    sandradev1 Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    OK, I am the same height and currently weigh 160 lbs. I still need to lose a little bit, but dependant on your frame (mine is large), you are probably very close to your ideal weight anyway.

You are certainly not fat, but I understand our own perception can trick us sometimes. If you are not losing weight, have you thought about heavy lifting instead. There are many photos and threads showing people being 10/20lbs heavier but looking thinner.

I am doing Stronglifts 5 x 5 and am already in my initial target of clothing size, despite being 10 lbs off initial goal. I am probably going to stop around another 5lbs instead, as the lifting has changed my body shape so much.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Hi

We're the same age and about the same height so I might be able to help. I eat about 1,600 calories a day and I'm maintaining. I exercise about 5 times a week - it's really important to have rest days. I run three times a week, do one resistance gym session and one pole fitness session. Add me if you like and check out my diary, that might help :)

Ax
  • wisconsinboogie
    wisconsinboogie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    At your your age,height, with all the exercise, you are probably not eating enough, check bmr, and figure out your tdee
  • MotorcycleMama2007
    Options
    Sometimes, I give myself a "binge day" and eat maybe 500-700 calories more than usual. Something about a binge day once every week or two opens the throttle. The next day I'll weigh a pound or two heavier (probably just from an increased intake of sodium), but after that, I'll drop 2 or 3 times that over the next week. Maybe this might work for you?
  • traceyfunk
    Options
    I was exactly where you are, 20-odd years ago... And then real life kicked in, I got married, gained 20 pounds, had a couple kids. When I was pregnant with my second I stopped getting on the scale when I saw 199...because I couldn't bear to see 200. My highest non-pregnant weight was well into the 180's in my early 30's and I felt like I would have given ANYTHING to be the 155 lb person I was when I got married at 25. (I am also 5'6") And looking back at the pictures from this new larger perspective - I wasn't nearly as big as I thought I was. I remember thinking my thighs were massive in a picture from my honeymoon, but when I was 180ish looking at the very same picture I saw muscle definition where previously I had only seen cellulite...

And I did get my act together - got down to 139 lbs in 2004 but I still saw myself as too over weight. And I've spent ever since sliding up and down the scale - as high as 180 again and back down to 156 where I am right now. I can't remember exactly when this happened but I remember being 150ish at some point in time and I should have been thrilled but all I could think was that now I remembered what I hated about being 150 the first time in my early 20's! And I just couldn't bear - again being 150... Well, guess what - I didn't stay 150 all right I found my self at 180!!

The point of this ramble is to try to prevent you (and all the rest of you 20-somethings) from finding yourself 20 years from now at god-knows-what weight just wishing you could be 22 and 155 again! Until you learn to love and appreciate the body you have right now - you will never be happy with yourself - no matter what you weigh. I'll be honest - now that I'm back to the mid 150's, of course I want to lose more! Because I'm not even in my healthy BMI range! (Just on the edge) But now I know that I'm not THAT overweight, and I'm certainly in a better place than I was a couple years ago, and if I stayed here for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be the end of the world!!

No kind words here - just a good dose of reality from an almost 45 year old who's been there- done that. If you truly eat healthy, and work your body as much as you say you do, you're setting yourself up for a nice long, healthy life. But if you spend 5 minutes looking in the mirror groaning about how "disgusting" you are - you will wipe out the benefit from all of your good deeds. Your body is created first and foremost in your mind - it can't respond in the way you wish it would if you keep telling it how disgusting it is. You will never be beautiful until you believe that you are. xoxox
  • rachelhohenbrink
    rachelhohenbrink Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I am 5'6" and 150 lbs which I have been maintaining for the last year. It is not my goal weight and I work out 5/6 days a week also. I do a lot of research on health and nutrition and I have finally had some awesome break throughs. I am losing weight again, happy and satisfied all the time. I have stopped restricting my calories because my new found way of eating lets me eat till I'm full. I would suggest you read THE STARCH SOLUTION BY DR JOHN MCDOUGALL & THE 80/10/10 BY DOUGLAS GRAHAM. They have changed my life!
  • jenniferrusso7393
    jenniferrusso7393 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You are already beautiful-- no matter your shape or size! Unfortunately, we live in a society where models and actors are portrayed as having "the ideal body". In my opinion, as well as a developing movement in society, that is NOT the way a normal person's body looks. And I tell my daughters that too... I'm guessing that you are where I am-- in a healthy body range, but looking to lose some vanity weight-- I'm shorter than you by about 4 inches. Probably any person you encounter will tell you you look great (im there too)... We are our own worst critics-- seeing every flaw and imperfection.
    Even if you are not seeing changes, you are still getting results-- your body is healthier-- thats the most important part. I'm sure that you will start seeing the results you are looking for in time. Your body just takes time to adjust to changes-- give it time!
  • cookenup
    cookenup Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Like you are, I was searching for something to help me with weight loss at 40ys of age, a friend told me about a book called "enter the zone" by Barry Sears, I bought it, and it changed my life, I was not obese, but I lost 20 lbs, ate very healthy, was NEVER hungry, dropped sizes, and exercised like you are. I also worked with light weigthts, Thats really the KEY, not to get bulky, but repetition with light weights and your body changes, t tones and sizes drop, you may not see it on the scale right away, but you are toning and you will feel it right away., My body was better than in high school. I just ask you to trust me and follow the zone diet for 1 week and you will be a believer.....I am doing that again right now at 56 and have lost 12 lbs in 5 weeks...you can go to www.zonediet.com but i suggest you getting the book "enter the zone" at the library buying it is better as a guide, but not necessary, once you know the simple principles, you can download the food chart and your good, I will be glads to be your coach, and your go to person. I use myfitnesspal to log my foods, but I customized my goals to be 40/30/30...thats 40%carb,30%fat,30%protein...If you try this, plus excerise with light weight reps, I promise you will change your body.

Jill
  • SisterSinBin
    Options
    I feel your pain!
    Have you tried cutting Carbs? I finally went to the doctor and found that I am HIGHLY sensitive to Carbs. I usually stay around 40 a day....yes, that is REAL LOW; however, it works for me. Some people can do great with 60-80 Carbs a day. Try it...if anything else, it can shock your system into weight loss.....