How do you do it?

Serprah
Serprah Posts: 15
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
How do you walk run over 3.0 without stopping cause it hurts so much? It's horrible, any advice? Thanks! I did a 3.5 Mile walk at 3.0 MPH! At the gym, yep I was at the gym for about 4 hours. I don't see how you could go any faster without dieing. Thanks

Replies

• Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Hi there! Well done, you're doing fantastically...

Remember...fitness takes time to increase and as your resistance increases, so will your stamina! Don't push yourself too far...your body will tell you when it's ready to move on! Make sure you warm up before you start to ensure you dont damage any ligaments or muscles. Cooling down is just as important.

Keep a diary of what you have done in how much time and you will soon see your physical strength and resistance building! You're doing fantastically...:flowerforyou:
  • Serprah
    Thank you very much, so I will have to build my way up. Just like weight lifting. Thank you again, and best of luck to you. :)
  • knowkeys
    knowkeys Posts: 28 Member
    A 4 hour session in the gym would equate to 12 miles. Are you sure you only did 3.5 miles?

Take your time building up your endurance, start at 10 mins, then build up and increase your stamina. Do this 2 - 3 times a week.

You can then increase the speed afterwards, but slowly does it. Injuring yourself will not help your motivation.

I had not run for over 10 years properly and I could "run" at 4MPH in September 2008, I had a goal to run a 10K (6 miles) in May 2009, which I did in 68 Minutes. It was hard work.

I completed an half marathon in September 2009 in 2 hours 30 minutes and another 10K in May 2010, I beat my time by 10 minutes. :blushing:

Take one step at a time, set a goal, listen to your body, there will be some "pain" but don't hurt yourself and keep going.

It will be worth it in the end. Without a goal, I would not have achieved what I did.

Good luck :wink:
  • goatskinlegs
    goatskinlegs Posts: 40 Member
    My Military brother's would say, "Pain is just weakness leaving the body" but I disagree slightly. Pain is a weakness, but it can also be a good indicator of muscle fatigue and improper warm up technique. I suggest, if you don't already, Stretch stretch stretch and then stretch some more. Your Ham strings are the most neglected tendon in your body, even mine are still really tight and I've been practicing 8 Step Praying Mantis for 3 years. All I can say is stretch until your legs feel like jello, then walk. Walk until your legs feel like jello, then jog. Try jogging for a minute, when you're use to that, 2 minutes and so on. The worst thing you can ever tell yourself is "I can't" what the brain perceives it can achieve.

It could also be your running shoes. My girlfriend was having problems with the treadmill, I tried everything to help her advance. After a stop off at Sports Authority and a pair of Nike Air Plus' she runs like Forrest Gump. So who knows. Cool down is also VERY important for your muscles oxygen saturation. When you've done all you can do on the treadmill, walk around the Gym breathing deeply but calmly to slow your heart rate back down, and also to pull as much oxygen in to your blood stream as possible then stretch again.this helps train your lungs, and your heart as well as your legs, but you have to believe you can move forward. :happy:

I hope this helps, and if you'd like some stretching techniques, shoot me a message. Good Luck! :happy:
  • happy_jax
    happy_jax Posts: 289 Member
    Don't worry yourself about it!

Everyone is different and the body is a strange thing...I can power walk faster than I see some people running (7.5kph) - yet start to actually run and I struggle even just increasing a little (8.5kph) a red, sweaty mess 10 mins in!

As everyone is suggesting, just gradually build up your stamina and take every little breakthrough as something to congratulate yourself upon!

And four hours in the gym...that's a big commitment!! You're headed in the right direction for sure!!! :happy:
  • pinbotchick
    pinbotchick Posts: 3,904
    Running/walking on a treadmill is much harder for me than outside. Look into C25K (couch to 5K) training. It's how I progressed from walking to running. It's designed to slowly increase the stress on your body to take you from the couch to running 31 min over a 9 week time frame. Every person is in different shape so go at your own pace. If you use a treadmill, start with power walking at 2.0 or 2.5 and do the running at 3.0 or 3.5.

Shoes are the key. If you seriously want to run, go to a store that specializes in running. Have them watch you walk and recommend proper shoes to counteract things such as pronation (feet roll in). I noticed a big difference in foot pain after my new shoes.

Good luck.
  • Paul76
    Paul76 Posts: 158
    Like anything, it takes work, practice, and patience. About a year ago I did a "learn to run" program where the first night out we ran for 1 minute and walked for 2 minutes 7 times. A month ago I ran a half-marathon without stopping to walk once.

If I can do it, you can do it. It's hard at the beginning, but stick with it and it will get easier!
  • Serprah
    You guys are awesome. Thank you so much. Great advice from all. I REALLY apprecaite it. Keep up the good work! Best of luck to everyone
This discussion has been closed.