So NOT a runner...

Options
I have never been much into running. Every time I start I just feel awful. I can't breathe and I get side cramps really badly. I do other cardio just fine. I love Zumba, I like to walk, and the elliptial is fine (although not my favorite). I've even done a boot camp-type class where we did sprints and I was okay with that as well. It's just when I get to the distance running that my body says no. Anyone else having similar issues?

Replies

• danipals
    danipals Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's how I was when I started. Literally couldn't get past the end of the block without needing a break. And l had been doing combat classes, bootcamp etc. Running is different. I started on the treadmill and started slow. The treadmill helps you learn to pace for one thing and made it easier to push myself just a little farther each time. Two half marathons and smaller races later I still have a hard time calling myself a runner since I wasn't for so long!

You can do it!
  • CLFrancois
    CLFrancois Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I was. Exactly like what you describe. I did the couch to 5k last year and now I run. A lot. Nothing like a marathon though, not my style (I get bored easily) but I knock it up on the treadmill every time I am on for a few songs.
    It was the side cramps that always killed me. I took it slow and my OWN pace and I did it.
  • 7opoundsin16weeks
    7opoundsin16weeks Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    This was me a few months ago. One time I looked at the treadmill next to me. The girl was running at 4.5 mph and I thought "I CAN DO THAT!" and since then I've been UNSTOPPABLE !
  • nuttyfamily
    nuttyfamily Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I was that way too and started the c25k and now have trained for two half marathons and run three to four times a week.

I just recommend starting out SLOW. I found I was trying to go too fast when I started out. It is better to go slowly and go for longer and longer then once you get that down, then work on speed.

Also, not everyone is meant to be a runner and it is best to stick with what you can do and enjoy doing.
  • aritchey1977
    aritchey1977 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I was the same way. I remember the first time I jogged 3 min and how excited I was. 3 weeks ago I completed my first half marathon (and I never stoppepd running through the whole thing). I am not thin but I am proof that it can be done. One thing I learned was to start slow and learn to control your breathing. Once you lose control of that it's hard to go any farther. My husband and I (he is also not a runner by nature) started trying to do a minute then 2, then 3....Eventually we were able to get up to where we wanted to be for the race. You CAN do it! Good luck!
  • lolly2721
    lolly2721 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do you have run? Your other cardio sounds fine. I won't say that I love running but I like the feeling when I am done. If you don't care to run then stick with your other cardio.

I will say that I started with C25K and it worked well if you want to start running.
  • TrishLG
    TrishLG Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    You are probably pushing yourself to run flat out as fast as you can go. Too many women try to run with their husbands and get to that same place. Instead you need to choose your own pace, back it up until you get a comfortable rate, possibly run, walk, run walk, run, walk. Or do like me and just walk. I am 65 now, so walking is not about to morph into running. Maybe next life.

Just think though, if you walk your route it takes longer than running, so the additional time could just about balance out the calories burned with doing your route faster, but shorter time. Besides Zumba beats running for all over fittness and increases coordination.
  • LokiOfAsgard
    LokiOfAsgard Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner either.
    And those side cramps? They're called stitches and happen mostly in beginner runners.

Just keep at it, run until your side hurt, then walk until it's stopped, then run again. You'll build up to it and you'll eventually be able to run longer before you start hurting.
    Same thing with your breathing, run until you feel like you're dying from lack of oxygen, then walk until you can breathe again- repeat

Everyone starts somewhere, when I started, I couldn't even run for a minute. Now I'm up to a minute and on my last run, I only barely got that pain in my side. :) You can do it!

EDIT: Make sure you have good form too!
    correct-running-form-2.jpg
  • trigger2354
    trigger2354 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to run a lot. Actually enjoyed it. But the constant pounding finally took a heavy toll on my knees and hips and left me in frequent pain. After some runs, I limped around for days. Begrudgingly I had to give it up. But, that led me to try different activities and I discovered I actually like cycling and cross country skiing much more. I can cycle for hours without any pain, and I discovered I have a need for speed. I get a real adrenaline rush flying down a mountain road with nothing between me and the asphalt but a few spokes. And cross country skiing gives me a painless total body workout unlike any other cardio activity, and as an unexpected bonus, it makes winter go by a bit faster.
  • majoki
    majoki Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I always loved walking, but I was so-so about running. At various points I picked it up again but then I'd drop it soon after. Right now I'm doing c25k and I'm on my 6th week. I have to say that I actually look forward to running now! c25k builds up fairly slowly and pushes me just enough at the same time. When I reached the assignment to run for 5 minutes non-stop, I was so worried, and then it turned out to be easy! The longest non-stop run so far has been 20 minutes. I was dying by the end, but I did it! I know I can only get better from here! =)

Stomach Cramps: I find that when I just push through them, they disappear within a few minutes.

p.s. I've only been doing this on a treadmill.
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    I can run on a treadmill for 10 mins at about a 7 to 9 setting on an incline of 1 although the second I even jog outside its like I can only last 30 seconds to a 1 min! No idea why!
  • JeanDescole
    JeanDescole Posts: 152
    Options
    Also I can do a reasonably fast pace on a stationary bike/rowing/ski for half an hour at a time on the top settings.
    Why I am unable to run is beyond me...
  • courtneyparsons
    Options
    I think it's interesting how some people can run for miles and that's their thing and others dance for hours and that's their thing, and if they tried to switch they would both be exhausted in a few minutes :smile:

I've been successful in the past without running, but it's something that I would like to do to help boost my exercise program. Thank your for the encouragement everyone. I will just take it slow.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    If you don't like running and your body doesn't like it when you run, why run? There are so many other cardio things to do. I personally have never liked long distance running. I'm in my 60's now and my knees wouldn't let me so I swim a lot and walk. Pick something you enjoy so that you will keep doing it. Good luck.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to run, but have always wanted to. After having my knee fixed last year, I decided I would learn to run. I started out ridiculously slow...my first run I made it 300 feet to my mailbox before needing to walk. I kept at though, at my own pace. When I started, I ran at 4 mph....I can now push myself to 7 mph for brief periods, averaging at 5 mph. If I go too fast too long, I get side stiches. Slow down, it's not a race, and run at a pace that you can maintain for distance. A well seasoned runner once told me to go slow, and when you think you are going slow, slow down some more and run at that pace.