Type 2 Diabetes & Victoza

Options
Hi all. :smile:
I'm a 31 year old type 2 diabetic, sitting here around 230 lbs (I've played with 15 pounds back and forth over the course of my journey as a diabetic:grumble: , though I'm down from an all time high of 265ish:drinker: ).

After five years of varying success with a Metformin and later added Januvia regimen, I've started experiencing my blood sugars coming up at night while I sleep- waking sugars are often 200, and am at a very high A1C reading of 10. I have been INCREDIBLY fatigued lately, sleeping nearly 11 hours every night, and dragging tail throughout my work days, and being lazy on my weekends. :yawn:

My doctor is wanting to start me on Victoza, with high hopes that it will not only assist me with getting my sugars under control rapidly, as well as helping out with some weight loss. I was to go in on Monday, but the appointment has been rescheduled to this coming Friday.

I'm nervous. I'm nervous about moving to an injectable medication, and feeling a little bit of chronic-disease-burnout and frustration. I'm frustrated because sometimes this takes SO MUCH WORK just to keep things on an even keel, and I'm not even managing to do that well. I'm scared of the side effects and the warnings of lab critters developing thyroid cancer on this medication. I love the positive reviews that Victoza gets, but changing medications usually makes me quite nauseated.

Does anyone have any experience with Victoza? Would anyone be willing to share with me what I may want to anticipate as far as nausea (how bad? how long?) or other side effects? Has anyone struggled with fatigue while on it, or has your energy level evened out or improved? Has anyone had really good results?

And would anyone want to add me as a friend as I dive into this next round of fun times with type 2 diabetes :wink: ? I could use the support, as most of my well-meaning and lovable family and friends don't quite know how a long-term disease can mess with your head sometimes, and think it should be as simple as taking a walk and not eating cake.

Thanks for reading this novel. I look forward to any experiences or advice. :flowerforyou:

Replies

• MollDoll81
    Options
    Beuller. . . . Beuller?
  • garryt1980
    garryt1980 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I actually did read this and sent an unexplained friend request as a result (shame on me). I'm also a type 2 diabetic but I have no idea about Victoza... I am waiting til the end of march for my A1C as it will mark 3 months of lifestyle change... I'm also on metformin/lifestyle right now and terrified of having to inject insulin. I think the best thing you can do right now aside from the drugs and diet is get active! Push through the tired and the energy will come. We can talk more in PM if you want:)
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I have been on Metformin for almost 2 years until this past week

With the my current weightloss and new more active lifestyle 6 day a week int he gym. My doc just THIS past week, has stop all of my medications.

I was previously taking 5 pills, 1 twice a day, for high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes

I am unfamiliar with the medication you mention, but with a good diet and lifestyle changes you may well be able to find yourself in a similar position int he not very distant future.

If you'd like to add me, feel free :)
  • garryt1980
    garryt1980 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    So Jm, would you be still considered a diabetic? Or you're a type 2 diabetic controlled with diet and exercise? That would be amazing to lose the metformin:)
  • jmparis65
    jmparis65 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I really haven't discussed that with my doc, maybe that's a discussion for my 8 week follow up in May

In my mind, I would think if I have no sign of diabetes, I would not think I would "technically" be considered a diabetic.

Hadn't really thought about it
  • bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    Hi all. :smile:
    I'm a 31 year old type 2 diabetic, sitting here around 230 lbs (I've played with 15 pounds back and forth over the course of my journey as a diabetic:grumble: , though I'm down from an all time high of 265ish:drinker: ).

After five years of varying success with a Metformin and later added Januvia regimen, I've started experiencing my blood sugars coming up at night while I sleep- waking sugars are often 200, and am at a very high A1C reading of 10. I have been INCREDIBLY fatigued lately, sleeping nearly 11 hours every night, and dragging tail throughout my work days, and being lazy on my weekends. :yawn:

My doctor is wanting to start me on Victoza, with high hopes that it will not only assist me with getting my sugars under control rapidly, as well as helping out with some weight loss. I was to go in on Monday, but the appointment has been rescheduled to this coming Friday.

I'm nervous. I'm nervous about moving to an injectable medication, and feeling a little bit of chronic-disease-burnout and frustration. I'm frustrated because sometimes this takes SO MUCH WORK just to keep things on an even keel, and I'm not even managing to do that well. I'm scared of the side effects and the warnings of lab critters developing thyroid cancer on this medication. I love the positive reviews that Victoza gets, but changing medications usually makes me quite nauseated.

Does anyone have any experience with Victoza? Would anyone be willing to share with me what I may want to anticipate as far as nausea (how bad? how long?) or other side effects? Has anyone struggled with fatigue while on it, or has your energy level evened out or improved? Has anyone had really good results?

And would anyone want to add me as a friend as I dive into this next round of fun times with type 2 diabetes :wink: ? I could use the support, as most of my well-meaning and lovable family and friends don't quite know how a long-term disease can mess with your head sometimes, and think it should be as simple as taking a walk and not eating cake.

Thanks for reading this novel. I look forward to any experiences or advice. :flowerforyou:

Hi there, MollDoll81;

First, good for you for wanting to take the steps needed towards better glucose management.
    Although, I have no experience with Victoza, I've been a T2 diabetic for 27+ years, and successfully control my blood sugar levels by watching the carbs I eat; 40 to 50 per meal daily along with, metformin, mealtime insulin and a bedtime dose of Lantus (basal) insulin.

Blood Sugar 101, is a great site with a lot of valuable information, and has been very helpful to me

http://www.bloodsugar101.com/

Managing Diabetes is a very individual thing. What works for some may not work for others. One thing many T2 diabetics have in common is, finding that exercizing along with weight loss, oftentimes greatly reduces our bodies (IR) insulin resistance.

The only true authority as to what works and what doesn't is our meters. Testing first thing in the morning after waking up,
    testing, before our first bite of food, testing 1hr after our last bite, and again, 2hrs after our last bite of food to determine what
    effects a certain food or meal has on our blood gluocse level. Armed with this info, you'll find out what foods increase your
    numbers and what foods don't.

Has your Dr. suggested before and after meal blood sugar targets. Many T2's seek the help of a nutritionist.

Since joining MFP last December, I've managed to reduce the amount of insulin my body needs significantly, by watching the carbs I eat, along with a regular weekly exercize routine, that's also resulted a significant weight loss for me too.

There is a Type 2 Diabetes support Group at MFP here:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/1789-type-2-diabetes-support-group

There are many knowledgeable, supportive and encouraging members eager to offer their help.

I encourage anyone living with T2, to join us.

Feel free to add me if you think I might be of help.

Good Luck!
  • MollDoll81
    Options
    Thank you for the responses gentlemen. :smile:

Garry, pushing through the exhaustion is exactly what I am taking on this week. That and being more faithful with logging on here. Also- no worries about the random friend add!

JM, congratulations on getting out from under all the medications! That has to feel great.
  • MollDoll81
    Options
    Thank you for all the information bdubya. I hadn't seen the support group. I'll scamper on over. :)
  • ldg323
    ldg323 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Hello

I was on Victoza a couple of years ago and it worked for a while. With me, things would work for "a while" and then stopped working. Dr. put me on insulin about a year or so ago and it really is the best thing for me.

Of course, the really best thing for me is to keep my carbs to below 100 per day......... but that's a daily fight so I understand you frustration. This really does suck.