New to MFP - is too much protein bad for you?

Options
I'm new to this site and already my protein intake is in the "red". Should I be concerned. I'm doing good in every other area, just not the protein area. Any thoughts on this?

Replies

• Precious_Nissa
    Options
    It depends on your body.....I go over all the time in fiber and iron but because I am anemic and have health issues, thats a great thing...it should bring me to where I dont need meds anymore eventually.....Now if you arent havent any problem in that area then yes, you should bring it down a tad bit to where its all balanced....but I wouldnt say necessarily too bad for you because the only real thing thats bad is it stresses your kidneys but thats only if you go over excessively all the time.
  • Denimgirl
    Denimgirl Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You might check your settings. I eat a lot of protein and mine has never been in the red. I do more of a low carb diet while trying to stay under 1400 calories a day so I'm eating mostly protein and vegetables.
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    Are you using the default settings from when you signed up? I found that my protein was always over as well... since I wanted to up protein and decrease carbs I changed the settings... MFP's default is 55% carbs, 15% protein, 30% fat. I changed mine to 45% carbs, 25% protein and 30% fat (now I'm struggling to eat all the protein!). You will find a range of advice here about what combination is most effective for weight loss and I'm getting into all of that. I did want to assure you that I was told on a post where I asked a similar question that I was not at all going over on proteins. I'll hunt for it later tonight... but I bet you'll get a response from someone further along than I am telling you what the actual harmful percentages are. You are fine.

Oh, and WELCOME!!!

ETA: To change percentages, go to goals... custom goals... and you can change nutrition settings from there.
  • Precious_Nissa
    Options
    Yes that is true....according to the most popular good effect, its almost impossible to go over on protein so you may want to adjust the protein with your weight.
  • pepino
    pepino Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    depends on what you do for physical activity. if you workout often then over is not bad because your muscle will need the nutrition to rebuild. as long as you stay under the calorie you should have no problem losing weight.
  • jemila24
    jemila24 Posts: 9
    Options
    OMG! Thank you all so much! This is soo helpul. I will check out my settings. I can tell I'm going to love this place!!!
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    MFP's recommendations really are low. Unless you have kidney failure, you're fine. Heck, my kidneys aren't great, but I do get by fine on over 100g a day. (I exercise a lot and do strength training.)

Good luck to you, and welcome to MFP! :flowerforyou: