Didn't have my TOM - age v. exercise/fitness v. stress?

Options
BACKGROUND (skip to question if desired) >>>>
Hi everyone, I started on MFP 50 days ago - mostly because my fitness level is pretty poor secondary to childhood/young adulthood of *actual* sedentary lifetsyle. By fitness, I generally mean I'd like to be able to climb a few flights of stairs without being short of breath, accomplish (run? walk?) a mile in less than 15 min, get pregnant in a couple of years without risking diastasis recti, avoid osteoporosis. (Maybe I'll lose a couple lb, too, but that's not a primary goal.)

I'm 28 years old, female, 5'5'', and I've gone from 131 to 128lb in the past 50 days with an average of 1550(+/-) calorie healthy omnivorous diet more or less unchanged from before; I think my fitness level is improving, but hard to tell because I haven't figured out how I want to *measure* my fitness level and I like doing a variety of exercises (doing the exact same thing every day gets boring and/or painful). I've done about an hour in the gym per day, almost exclusively low-intensity cardio (which I am DEFINITELY going to change up for my spinning classes and yoga classes in the future since they are fun).
>>>>>

QUESTION:
***I'm concerned because in the last 2 months, my TOM has been unbelievably light (1 day long), and this month it hasn't come at all (neg preg test). I am under some level of stress from my work, haven't been sleeping particularly well. I think I may have gained some muscle, but I'm certainly not starving myself, and I don't think my BF% could possibly have gone low enough to prevent me from menstruating (BF% estimated at 22% by measurements). I have NEVER had irregular periods ever for any reason and I feel otherwise completely normal.

****My question: Ladies, have any of you exercised to the point where you stopped menstruating, even though your BF% was entirely normal? Can you be stressed out enough to stop having periods? Did anyone else's periods get wonky at ~age 28? Are there other fitness/dietary factors I should consider before I see a doctor?

Anecdotal or scientific evidence would be appreciated.

Replies

• deannajf4
    deannajf4 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I do not have much info on this - but if pregnancy is a possibility - keep taking the tests!! I found that Dollar Stores have cheap prego tests and when I'm trying ot get pregnant, I grab them by the handfull and keep testing!! It could possibly take a little longer to get a positive.

Otherwise, I don't have enough information to speculate why you're not menstrating, but a visit to the doctor is never a bad first step!!
  • yurika975
    yurika975 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I have had some stress and had a neg preg test. I think you can have a checkup just to make sure. Sometimes we underestimate stress. Also one while I started having my cycle the opposite way. It skipped. Then started coming every 2 weeks. It was heavy and horrible. I was exhausted. I talked to my mom and she suggested iron. I started taking a multi with iron daily. I also got a well woman's checkup later. As ladies it seems we have more to worry about then men.
  • erinpd
    erinpd Posts: 96
    Options
    Only once have I been so stressed that I skipped a period and that was compounded stress over time from work + grad school + death in the family + moving.

I'm surprised I'm still alive, actually.

But yes, stress can do it and some women's cycles seem be more sensitive than others.

Also, I turn 28 on Tuesday and I have noticed things acting...funny. Irregular cycles and such. Things change over time. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong.
  • brownvs
    brownvs Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wish me luck in my attempt at multi-quoting. Thanks to everyone who responded. :)
    As ladies it seems we have more to worry about then men.

Yeah, definitely! I'm glad I'm not alone in having this experience.
    Only once have I been so stressed that I skipped a period and that was compounded stress over time from work + grad school + death in the family + moving.

Also, I turn 28 on Tuesday and I have noticed things acting...funny. Irregular cycles and such. Things change over time. Doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong.

I'm so sorry for your loss but I'm glad you're hanging in there. :( I'm having some issues with moving for school/work and that is exactly what's stressing me out. I have to move myself and my fiance across the country to a completely different climate for a job that will apparently average nearly 80 hr/wk in my first year...yikes.
    I do not have much info on this - but if pregnancy is a possibility - keep taking the tests!!

I'll definitely keep this in mind - I don't think it's *particularly* high probability since we've only had sex...twice this month (both times protected) and I've been having period issues over the last 3 months. But it's a good thing to keep in mind, and I may very well see a doctor soon, as you mentioned. Thanks for your help :)