Runners - what do you use to track speed/mileage?

Options
2»

Replies

• HonoriaLucasta
    HonoriaLucasta Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I use RunKeeper on my phone, but you could totally get by with just plotting your course in MapMyRun beforehand if you don't have a smartphone. It works really well for trying to find a change of scenery for your running route, too.
  • camrunner
    camrunner Posts: 363
    Options
    I use a Garmin Forerunner 110. Think it was like $180 but I know there are cheaper versions. I never wanted to have to carry my phone on long runs, so it's perfect for me.

If you're really looking to save money though, you should probably just use a regular watch with a chrono and run somewhere with measured distances or run on a road where you can map your route online or drive it.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I used mapmyrun for a while.

Finally sprung for a Garmin Forerunner 610 when they were on sale at REI. Best $250 I've ever spent, but probably overkill if you're not racking up the miles for some race training.
  • elfpearl
    elfpearl Posts: 191
    Options
    Wow, thanks everybody...lots of methods to choose from it looks like!! I will definitely check out Runkeeper and MapMyRun...between those and a stopwatch I should save myself the cost of a GPS watch/smartphone, etc.
  • Painterdee
    Painterdee Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I started out with the iPod and Nike+ and like others have said, it was not as accurate. Then I got a sport watch at a sports store for around $60-70 that allowed me to track laps.....which is good on a track OR if you go on mapmyrun and figure out where you will go BEFORE you go out. I memorized each mile mark and would hit it as a lap. THEN I finally sprung for the basic Garmin 10 (for women). Actually I requested it for Christmas! I love it. It's not too complicated and very accurate. It even has a virtual trainer that you set to the pace you want to stay at and it will beep if you are under or over pace. This one is also smaller than most gps watches out there. That was important to me cause I have very small wrists and didn't want an annoying thing swinging around on me! The cost was very reasonable....maybe you have a birthday coming? It cost around $130. Good luck. (I wish I was on MFP before my other purchases!)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    I use Endomondo. It feeds directly into MFP and works from my smartphone. I'm thinking about getting a Garmin GPS watch, because they feed into Endomondo, and would also feed into MFP.
  • algebravoodoo
    algebravoodoo Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Runkeeper has a free and a paid version. I went ahead and got the paid version for a year to see if I liked it.

So far... ehhh it's okay, but I'm not sure I train hard enough for it to be $20 worth of okay.