Any healthy lentil/vegetable soup recipes?

Options
jdock111
jdock111 Posts: 3 Member
Hi everyone, I really love homemade vegetable soup and would really love to find a very healthy yet tasty recipe and hope some of you may have one.

Thank you so much :)

Replies

• izzwizz_london
    izzwizz_london Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I made this yesterday for lunch and it was really tasty and filling:

Thai style vegetable soup

2 teaspoons olive oil
    20 g butter
    270 g potatoes
    130 g carrots
    1 litre vegetable stock (I use Marigold bouillon powder to make it but any will do)
    1 bay leaf
    1 heaped tablespoon of green Thai curry paste
    50 ml low fat creme fraiche

Heat olive oil and butter in a large saucepan; throw in cubed veg and stir around, add hot stock, bay leaf and curry paste and simmer until veg is cooked (10 minutes?). Sir in creme fraiche and serve.

I did also add 100 g shredded roast chicken I had left over from another meal.... but not necessary at all. With the chicken it served 3, at 290 calories per portion.
  • jdock111
    jdock111 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much this looks really nice will deffos try it! :)
  • barb1241
    barb1241 Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    wholefoods.com has a sweet potato stew recipe that calls for using split peas, but I always use lentils instead and it is AMAZING I think you can just go to their website and do a recipe search
  • NormInv
    NormInv Posts: 3,303 Member
    Options
    Local Whole Foods is having a lentil sale.

I make it in my rice cooker.

Lentils, Onion, olive oil, tomatoes, spices to your liking such as turmeric, cumin, bay leaves.

I just love and keep it simple to taste the lentils.
  • erinnpinky
    erinnpinky Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    This is my favorite! Spinach/Lentil/Curry (around 180 calories per serving) - assuming 10 portions

Ingredients:

2 medium onions chopped
    8 cloves of garlic (or more) chopped
    3 tbsp ginger root chopped
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 can (6oz) Tomato Paste
    1 can (14.5oz) Diced Tomatoes
    1 package (10oz) Frozen Spinach
    5 cups of Lentils prepared (1 bag dry)
    3 + Tbsp curry powder
    1 Tbsp cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander seed
    1-2 Bay leaves

Directions

1. Prepare lentils by washing them in a pot in the sink. Remove stones or anything that floats. Cover the lentils with 1/2-1 inch of water and add a pinch of salt. Bring the lentils to a boil for two minutes. Cover the lentils and remove from the heat. Let stand for 1 hour. Pour the lentils into a strainer and give a quick rinse with the tap.
    2. Prep the other ingredients: chop the onions, garlic, ginger, mix the spices (curry, cumin, and coriander) together in a bowl.
    3. In a LARGE pan add the oil and the chopped onions. Sauté over med (med-low) heat. After a few minutes add the garlic and ginger and continue to sauté. As the onions become iridescent add the mixed spices and stir. The mixture should be very fragrant. Immediately add the lentils. Stir.
    4. Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes and 2 cups of water. Stir. Add the bay leaves. Let the mixture simmer (med heat) for 10-15 minutes. The sauce will start to thicken a little. Add the frozen spinach and cover. Let the mixture simmer for 5 minutes. Turn the frozen spinach over and let the mixture simmer for another 5 minutes. Now the spinach should be thawed. Stir the spinach evenly into the lentils. Let the dish simmer with the cover on or off or a combination. (The longer it simmers the better it tastes).
    5. Take the pan off the heat and allow it to cool for a few minutes

I have some other good healthy soups and will be adding more to my site:
    pinkspantry.blogspot.ca

Check out my cauliflower/cabbage soup. It is only 40 calories per cup!!!
  • aforbes
    aforbes Posts: 9
    Options
    http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/moroccan_lentil_soup.html

Made this for my husband last week -- he tries to eat low sodium and vegetarian for most lunches during the week. I made it without the cinnamon b/c he's not a fan. He said it was very good. I was worried about how the cauliflower would hold up, but even frozen and warmed up it's been great.
  • ameliaannakin
    ameliaannakin Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I make lots of vegetable soups. I log them all on my food diary blog - ameliasfooddiary.wordpress.com. Feel free to take a look :). I hope it gives you some inspiration :)

Ax
  • DenyseMarieL
    DenyseMarieL Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    My specialty is taking all the leftover veggies and some frozen ones and tossing them in the slow cooker with low sodium chicken or vegetable broth. It's different everytime. For better flavor, roast the root vegetables in the oven first with a dash of olive oil.
  • SandyAnnP
    SandyAnnP Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Here is a link for spicy lentil soup, it is delish.
    http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/spicy-lentil-soup-L11277.html

You could add extra veg to it. Recipe says to blend but I left mine chunky. :)
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I do plain lentil/veg soup

Pearl barley
    Whichever lentils you want (red/green)
    Soaked in veg stock cube water

Leeks
    onion
    Carrots

Can add potatoes, turnips, celery etc to personal taste