Protein Powder for Women

Options
Hi all! I'm looking for some suggestions for protein powder. I started lifting heavy and eating clean about 6 weeks ago, and I'm seeing great results. However, I do not eat very much meat: I eat absolutely no red meat, occasionally chicken breast, and lots of fish and seafood. I want to start incorporating a protein powder into my diet, however I don't know which one would be best for me i.e. whey, casein, egg, etc. I want to also keep in mind the calories, as I am still focused on fat loss as well. I want to lose about 10 more lbs of fat. Does anyone have any suggestions either about which type of protein (whey, etc?) or any brands that have worked for them?

Thanks so much in advance for any insight! xx

Replies

• Vikkicmccrory
    Options
    Hi I've just started using the protein works whey 80 and there's are loads of flavours to choose from check out their website. And if you enter in this code you will get 250g bag free on your first order :) vm7043
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    i've only ever used whey. i believe it is the most efficient but anyone can feel free to correct me on that. there's a brand called lean 15 which i believe has 100 calories and 15g of protein per serving. personally i use body fortress because it is pretty cheap. make sure you get a brand that gets most of its calories from protein (total calories per serving - protein in grams x 4)
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I use whey occasionally, if I can't get everything from food/convenience etc. I usually have casein ( as hot chocolate) at night as its slow release.

Think they're all much of a much just go by flavour preference - most Internet ones will let you but sample sizes so you can see if you like them first.

If you're trying to eat clean though you'd be better with eggs, nuts, pulses, dairy etc.
  • Nicki_101
    Nicki_101 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have found that protein powders tend to make me bloat and cause indigestion, so I force myself to eat as naturally as possible, but in some cases when I have to supplement, whey protein is definitely the way to go.
  • CaffeinatedConfectionist
    CaffeinatedConfectionist Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I use a whey protein isolate, the brand is Bluebonnet. It's from grass-fed cows and sweetened with stevia. It's around 116 cals per scoop, 26g of protein. It's my preferred brand, I like to mix it with greek yogurt and peanut butter, or make smoothies with milk or kefir and fruit. I like it because it's a pretty cheap and non-perishable way of meeting my protein goals. I eat a fair amount of dairy, eggs, and meat, but I still struggle to hit my protein macro.