New home for cat and hiding ...

Options
I moved house bout a week ago and just last night brought my cat along. She is hiding under the bed and wont come out unless I pick her up. She will then cuddle and stay on my bed long as I am in the room but soon as I leave she is straight back under the bed. How long will she do this for? Is it best to get her out of hiding or to leave her there? Also wt the kitty litter.. If I show her where it is should she automatically know that it is what it is?

Replies

• Brianna72994
    Options
    I'm sure she'll eventually warm up to the new house. You probably just need to give her some time. Don't force her.
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who has an old, adorable little black cat named Angel. I have lived with this friend in two different houses, and with a year and a half or so in between those two. When we moved into the second house, everyone was freaking out thinking Angel had disappeared-- the doors had been open during the bringing in of large furniture pieces, and we thought she had panicked and ran outside and was lost.

A full day went by like this after moving day, until finally I began to hear meowing sounds-- from my room! I had been gone at work, and I came home to finally figure out that Angel had lodged herself under my tiny dresser / bedside table, and was stuck or too scared to come out. She mewed pitifully until I had to lift up the entire dresser (good thing it wasn't too large) so she could wriggle out.

Cats don't make sense sometimes, and this is one of those times. Your kitty will probably flock to the underbed for a few more days, but if you think it's becoming a habit try locking her out of the room during the day, and only letting her in at night. As far as the litterbox, just keep bringing her to it a few times a day, she will eventually figure out how to get there on her own.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    I agree don't force her. She knows where the litter is. Hopefully some other cat hasn't left behind urine smells. That's when you have a problem.
  • Ejwelton
    Ejwelton Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Leave her be, she is just getting used to her new home.

Is she eating? I would think about putting her food and litter tray near to her hiding place. As she goes her confidence gradually move them to where they would normally be.

And give her lots of fuss when she does venture out.
  • iulia_maddie
    iulia_maddie Posts: 2,780 Member
    Options
    My cat did the same thing when we moved. It's just a new environment for her. She'll get used to it in a day or two.
  • iorahkwano
    iorahkwano Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Cats are very paranoid & territorial. Being moved about of their territory to an unfamiliar one is like us being moved to a dangerous third world country where we don't speak the language. Highly likely "exploring" is not on your priority list for the first couple days. Cats will likely hide for a few days & only come out when no one's around.

The best thing to do is, when you get the chance, pick up your cat & plop 'em in the litter box. Even if the cat immediately runs away, it now knows where the sand is. As for food, they can usually smell it or know when you're pouring it.

Just give the cat a few days & make sure you have some familiar comfort-things from home (Toys, scratching post, bed, a blanket he/she liked).
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    thanks everyone
  • NancyStree
    NancyStree Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    don't worry it can take up to 2 weeks for cats to adjust...
  • RoadToHappiness92
    Options
    and she is out! thanks everyone :)
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    My new kitty Souffle (that's her in my pic!) is doing this, too, even though I just got her and we didn't move houses together.

Do these tips apply even in cases when the kitty is not used to its new mother yet?
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Yup, agree with others...don't force her. She'll come out on her own...and she'll find the box, too.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    She's just a baby, though! I don't know if I should help her along or if that will just make her have an anxiety attack?