Is it normal/healthy to lose this much weight?

Options
I started at 283lbs on 6/7 and now I am at 275 on 6/16, I am big, I know that on shows like the Biggest loser people lose weight at a higher rate in less time. My doctor on 6/7 told me that I am pre-diabetic. Since the appointment, I have been diligent at watching everything I eat and drink, I am not starving myself at all, just making very good choices. I stopped drinking juices, soda, and eating candy, chips, etc. I eat a low fat, very low sugar diet now, with veggies, lean meats,and whole grain pasta and bread. This is a complete turn around for me. The medication Metformin, prescribed to me for the pre-diabetes, is also helping with appetite suppression. I don't have the urge to over eat, and literally stuff myself anymore. I'm losing about 1lb or so a day. This is exciting, just wanted to know if this is ok/healthy? My health is at stake and I have got to drop the weight or face further health damaging problems?! eek. Thanks.

Replies

• Pariah
    Pariah Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    when you are that over weight, and you make a big change by cutting out a lot of foods, yes, it is common to see that much weightloss. alot of it was probably just water weight your body has been holding onto. as you lose weight and your body becomes used to your diet, they weightloss will slow down to a more normal rate.
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: our bodies all react differently. You have to think how many calories and how much sodium you may have been taking in. I think with excercise as well as cutting back on calories then it is entirely possible to lose that amount of weight.

Great job, remember that you may see a time where it slows down, so stay positive.
  • Ge0rgiana
    Ge0rgiana Posts: 1,649 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry too much. It's probably all fluid. The good new is it's probably not unhealthy. The bad news is it's not fat loss. Still, water weight is just that, WEIGHT. If you're concerned, you can always talk to your doctor. :smile:
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    Just like Pariah said. When larger people make sudden drastic changes, you lose at a faster rate for a while. It's most definitely all water weight at this point. I started at 295 and lost 9 pounds in my first week. The next week, I think I lost around 4 or 5... Now I'm losing around 2-2.5 pounds a week.
  • jessmtnz
    jessmtnz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mostly water weight, since you cut out the juice, etc.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I lot 10 lbs. my first week. It then slowed to a more normal pace. I think the larger you are you will lose weight faster in the beginning. Health wise you should be fine as long as you are eating the recommended calories (don't go under or you will be setting yourself up for failure) and you are eating healthy (which you sound like you definitely are). Just don't get discouraged when the amount slows down (assuming it does for you...like mentioned above everyone is different). I love the saying I read on here somewhere "Losing weight is not a race...it is a journey". I have that taped above my computer at home and at work and in my car to remind me that it will take me awhile to get to my "destination"...wherever I decide that to be :wink:
  • melodyg
    melodyg Posts: 1,423 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others... it is probably mostly water weight... and you do drop more if you weigh more. I know that I've lost weight more quickly this time than in the past as well (though I'd like to attribute that to diet and exercise changes, I'm sure some is that I weigh more now than last time I lost weight!)

I think you are fine for now. If you continue to lose 8 pounds in a week for more than a few weeks you may want to check with your doctor but for the first few weeks it is perfectly fine.
  • KiriKiriKiri
    KiriKiriKiri Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yep...it's normal! Embrace it :) For me, I would go on kicks and lose a ton in a short period of time (over a couple of weeks) then stop for a couple of weeks (just my bodies way of evening out) and then it would start back up. The last 15 have been a struggle though...
  • LoveMy4Kids
    LoveMy4Kids Posts: 231
    Options
    I lost 18lbs in the first two weeks but only 5lbs in the third and fourth!
  • rcatr
    rcatr Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Enjoy it and continue on this path to good health. Don't get frustrated when you don't see those great numbers continue. If you watch the Biggest Loser like I do, you know those numbers slow down. Remember, a loss is a loss :)

Good luck!
  • Biggest_Loser
    Options
    First couple of weeks I would always drop a ton (alot of it's water weight too). But after the first couple of weeks, it would level off to 1-2 lbs which is true fat loss.

I always love the first few weeks!! :)

Congrats!!