addicted to sweets!

Options
Hey, So I have a serious sweet problem. Eating healthy for me is pretty easy, except for my MAJOR sweet tooth. I am one of those people who can't just eat ONE cookie. Any advice on how to break this habit?

Replies

• jfan175
    jfan175 Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Don't delude yourself into thinking you can eat just one cookie. I'm like that also, it's a heck of a lot easier for me to not have that one cookie than it is to only eat just one. You can say all you want about training yourself to eat in moderation, but some of us are better off to just say no to certain foods.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    When I want something sweet I grab fruit first. If I still want the sweet thing I'm craving, then I let myself have it. If I'm fuller, I'm not going to want as much of it.

Also, another little trick I've picked up is to grab just that one (or two) cookies, then leave whatever room the cookies are in and eat it there. That way, I'll be conscious of grabbing another one and will be able to stop myself from doing that if I don't want to.
  • Emilie04444
    Emilie04444 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Don't delude yourself into thinking you can eat just one cookie. I'm like that also, it's a heck of a lot easier for me to not have that one cookie than it is to only eat just one. You can say all you want about training yourself to eat in moderation, but some of us are better off to just say no to certain foods.

LOL. At least once a month I delude myself into thinking that I can buy 1 pack of cookies and eat 1 cookie per day, etc, until they are all gone the same day. I think it's best not to have certain things in the house. Like jelly, cookies etc. The only thing I have is pineapple cottage cheese to have for dessert (or fruit of course) and I never binge on that.

If I really am craving something after a crazy day or PMSing, I go to the bakery and buy 3 vanilla gingerbread men. The guys in the bakery know my by now and I don't feel crazy anymore. It is only $1.25 and I have them and am satisfied for a while. If I am craving ice cream, I buy one of the small haagen daaz cups.
  • superbeacon
    Options
    I totally agree with jfanent... if you cannot eat just one, don't eat any! I am the same way. It is difficult at first, but then it gets easier to turn down sweets altogether. In my mind, it is better to deny myself cookies now than to deal with the tremendous amount of guilt after a binge of sweets.
  • NareenaTheGypsy
    NareenaTheGypsy Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I used to be an ice cream fanatic.. While sweets are my favorite, ice cream was it's queen. I switched over to Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches and I allow one a night. Since they are single serve sandwiches, I can get one and go sit in the living room and unwrap the plastic and that's my sweetness for the night. They're only 140-150 cals each and are absolutely delicious. I have had the chocolate, vanilla, cookies and cream, mint, choc/vanilla swirl.. but my fave is the chocolate/peanut butter swirl.

As for the little sweet cravings during the day, what I've found is to get the little no sugar added (but not a low cal food, the pkg says) hershey's dark chocolate bites.. I only have 3 or 4 (whatever the serving size says) with me. I try to eat only one in the am, one after lunch, etc. But if I eat them all at once, I know they're gone for the day. They're about 150'ish calories, depending on which brand/flavor you get. That way I get my little sweet taste without eating every cookie, or a big candy bar, etc.
  • Elegra2006
    Elegra2006 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    One thing that I've found that helps, is before you've bought/got/eaten the sweets/cakes etc, is to enter it in your diary. I find it really focuses the mind on whether I want to spend 250cals or whatever on something that gives me a short term hit but I'll still be starving after. Of course, sometimes the answer is 'yes' but it means rice cakes and cottage cheese for dinner!

Also, I was a complete choco-holic but decided to give up for Lent and it's been so easy, I rarely think about chocolate, it's like because I know I don't want to let myself down then my body stops me thinking about it. Hopefully after Easter I'll still be able to resist the chocolate binge-fest!
  • frinklefairy
    Options
    I am also a major sweet tooth!

When I get munchy, or crave anything that is on the "moderation list" I make sure to drink a full glass of water with my favorite Mio flavor in it. Then I have a piece of fruit (eaten over a ten minute period while I distract myself with internet or whatever to prolong the time) and THEN I reevaluate my sugar craving. Sometimes it's gone, sometimes it isn't. If not, at least I'm on my way to having a full stomach with healthy stuff.

Definitely separate the portion out and don't distract yourself while you're eating it! Eating something smaller more slowly and mindfully really keeps you from overfilling (and you enjoy your splurge more).
  • jennagoogles13
    Options
    Personally, I do my best to avoid situations that I know are going to be filled with temptation. Also, if I know I'm going to eat more than I should and end up feeling really guilty later, I just avoid eating it at all. My sweet tooth tends to come on at night (I REALLY crave chocolate), and if I truly MUST give in, I drink some hot chocolate and use Nestle's fat free 20 calorie packs. It's actually really satisfying, and because I use water instead of milk, it's super low cal!:)
  • highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    My body will not tolerate sugar. I give it a little, it wants A LOT!!! I find that eating primal/low carb REALLY curbs my cravings. I just can't have just 1... and it's not because I have no self control, or I'm weak willed etc. It's not just cookies either (although seriously the worst lol) I crave bread and potatoes instantly if I have "just a bit"

Abstaining seems to be the only way I can control the cravings, and adding more fat and less sugar helps me stay satisfied. Calories have context and certain foods will trigger cravings, no matter what the haters say.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Practice and exercise will power.

You're making a concious decision to go back for more.

You're more than capable of just eating one cookie.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I have a major, major sweet tooth but I've finally "crossed to the other side"...meaning I can have Oreos around, baked goods, even cake in the fridge and not be worried about a binge...I can have just one as long as I log it and keep it in my calories. Having these small treats, or things to look forward to at the end of the day, are what keep me on track and keep me from bingeing!

I also make sure I am getting enough calories during the day so I don't feel deprived. My diary is open if you ever want to peek. Check out my evening snacks! Sweet tooth!!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    Practice and exercise will power.

You're making a concious decision to go back for more.

You're more than capable of just eating one cookie.

This. But beyond that, if you do eat more than one, don't beat yourself up about it. Just pick yourself up and move on.

Like Nike says: Just do it.
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,369 Member
    Options
    I find if I have a couple or three of Trebor extra strong mints then that helps my sugar craving. They are 20 cals each.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

this. no one can eat just one cookie... unless it's one of those huge cookies.

log them into your diary. eat like, 3-6 cookies or whatever a serving or two is and a glass of milk. watch how you'll still be hungry. after a while you'd rather be full then satisfy your sweet tooth.

100 calorie packs are also good for the sweet tooth/cookie craving.
  • nomayo
    nomayo Posts: 228
    Options
    I have a sweet tooth too. I have fruit, or brush my teeth including floss and mouthwash. If I'm still craving I have a sweet, but usually you can distract yourself doing other things, like polish your nails or do a puzzle or something. I think the key is to distract your mind from the craving.

I also can't have only one cookie, but I know if I don't eat one I wont end up eating the whole package.
  • runforyourlyfe
    runforyourlyfe Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the really good advice :)
  • ereach4731
    ereach4731 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

1 is too many but 10 is not enough. I agree, I just don't buy those foods I know I can't control myself around, like ice cream.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I have a similar problem, and if I'm serious about losing weight, eliminating sugar and alcohol are half the battle.

I would resolve to eliminate all added sugars, including sucrose, fructose, and honey for 30 days. Try to avoid artificial sugars as well. After that, add back in sugar on a selective basis.
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options

1 is too many but 10 is not enough. I agree, I just don't buy those foods I know I can't control myself around, like ice cream.

That's my preferred strategy. Unfortunately, I'm often in environments into which other people bring junk food, not that they can afford it any more than I can.
  • deegee44
    deegee44 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When you get a good answer...LET ME KNOW! I too am struggling with sweets and cookies:blushing: