Veganism?

Options
In the past year I find myself slowly leaning towards this diet and lifestyle change. I would like to find others who have good advice on this, as well as reading material, websites, etc. Thanks:)

Replies

• lilay
    lilay Posts: 122
    Options
    I am kind of the same way. My husband says that I am a natural born vegetarian because I can’t stand the smell of red meat raw or cooked. You should look at this site there are a ton of recipes, information and people who share the lifestyle, both vegans and vegetarians. Plus they review the recipes on this site too. http://vegweb.com/
  • KirstenDanella1
    Options
    Me too! I hardly ever eat meat. It just grosses me out. But I've read so many horror stories of people who went about it the wrong way and end up not getting the right nutrition and their hair and teeth falling out. Wow. Lol. I don't need that. Thanks! I'm checking the site out now:)
  • futballuvr73
    futballuvr73 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I became a lacto-ovo veg April 26th after not eating meat much at all the previous months. I have had a very hard time getting more than 50-80g protein/day since, but the thought of adding even fish back freaks me out! I didn't decide to do this for humanitarian reasons- I'm the first to admit that- I did it for health reasons (extremely high cholesterol in my family). I have thought about adding back fish- becoming a pescetarian- but cannot seem to do it? I seriously freak out at the thought of eating meat! I am very happy eating veggies, using meat subs, heck I even plan to try tofu again!
    For the protein I try to eat lots of eggs, cheese, beans when appropriate to the meal. I still have a hard time. Any ideas?
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I would never totally swear off meat or dairy totally, but I'm mostly vegan (about 85%) and I also was in the nutrition field for several years and the only thing I would say is that you just have to do a lot of research and make sure you eat a well rounded diet with lots of vegan protein sources. I know many people who went vegan (or all raw) and ended up just eating the same thing day after day and what they ate didn't have enough of a variety, so they got run down and bored with the diet and ended up eating more junk and less good food.

Also, take a really good multi vitamin and supplement with b12.